Coki and Sapphire in one day?

attran99

Thanks to all for all of your great tips. We've just returned from our Caribbean adventure.

The weather was a bit uncooperative during our cruise. There were forecasts of 80% rain for our day in St. Thomas, and a lot of concern on the ship that all excursions would be cancelled. I woke up for an early workout and run on the top deck and saw the inclement weather everyone was worried about. I thought it best to alter our plans for the day to see what the official weather forecast would be before going out for the day. After breakfast on the ship, we found that the day would be okay, so we set out with just Coki on the itinerary since we were about 2 hours delayed with worrying about the weather.

Taxi ended up being $16 per person roundtrip...more than I had anticipated, but I was prepared. I should have really exited the port terminal. Going to the outskirts was not enough. Wisdom gained for next time.

It was about 10:30AM when we arrived at Coki, and the beach was still pretty empty, so we got to pick any location we wanted on the sand. We got 3 chairs by the shoreline, 2 umbrellas, and 3 chairs along the shade a few yard back for the in-laws.

It turned out to be a nice day. Clouds and some sprinkles would roll in intermittently, but it was sunny and breezy. Perhaps too breezy because we all forgot to reapply sunscreen often enough. Almost everyone was sunburned from our 4+ hour adventure. The snorkeling was fantastic. My husband, our kids, and my Dad was enthralled with all the sea life they were able to see. The waterproof Kobert sleeves I had purchased for our phones made it easy to take photos without needing to lug along an additional camera.

The beach and the water was beautiful. It was a truly amazing day and first stop of our Caribbean adventure. We can't wait to come back to try Sapphire and Lindqvist next time. Thanks to blue_water for all of your helpful tips!

We are also torn between Coki and Sapphire. Was there somewhere to purchase food and drinks? Was there service at your chair or did you walk up?

Both Coki and Sapphire have any amenities you want, Sapphire now has a small beach bar and musicians I see. If you want a busier, more lively vibe head for Coki, if you want a nice shaded spot and a bit quieter vibe Sapphire. There are runners at both...

Sapphire webcams, see drone video in this one - (webcam is currently off-line)

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/us-virgin-islands/st-thomas/east-end/saint-thomas-virgin-islands.html

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/us-virgin-islands/st-thomas/east-end/saint-thomas-virgin-islands.html

We are also torn between Coki and Sapphire. Was there somewhere to purchase food and drinks? Was there service at your chair or did you walk up?

Upon arrival at Coki, we were met by a representative who asked how many chairs and umbrellas we would need for the day. The staff quickly set everything up...and we had our choice of location because we were one of the first groups to arrive. There are at least 2 food/drink vendors...with one of them roaming around checking in on us every hour or so to see if we needed anything. The staff isn't in your face to constantly convince to you make a purchase, and I really appreciated that. We did end up ordering some snacks for the kids (chicken nuggets and fries and a couple of cocktails for ourselves), and it was good enough to suit our needs.

I can't speak for Sapphire because we never made it over there due to timing adjustments for weather concerns, but I was told there is a food/drinks vendor that makes a good fish sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...
Upon arrival at Coki, we were met by a representative who asked how many chairs and umbrellas we would need for the day. The staff quickly set everything up...and we had our choice of location because we were one of the first groups to arrive. There are at least 2 food/drink vendors...with one of them roaming around checking in on us every hour or so to see if we needed anything. The staff isn't in your face to constantly convince to you make a purchase, and I really appreciated that. We did end up ordering some snacks for the kids (chicken nuggets and fries and a couple of cocktails for ourselves), and it was good enough to suit our needs.

I can't speak for Sapphire because we never made it over there due to timing adjustments for weather concerns, but I was told there is a food/drinks vendor that makes a good fish sandwich.

Two weeks from today we will be at St Thomas and I have nothing planned.

I've decided this is what we will do. So you walk off the ship to taxis and ask which are going to Coki? How much is the fare? How do you get a taxi back? Does your representative at Coki do this for you?

Also, do you recall how much the loungers and umbrella was? Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two weeks from today we will be at St Thomas and I have nothing planned.

I've decided this is what we will do. So you walk off the ship to taxis and ask which are going to Coki? How much is the fare? How do you get a taxi back? Does your representative at Coki do this for you?

Also, do you recall how much the loungers and umbrella was? Thanks so much.

Taxis within the port area will charge you $8 per person each way (not including tip). If you leave the port area, I've been told it's half that price via Mitsugirly's review. I didn't double-check her notes carefully enough prior so I missed it. You can make arrangements with the driver to come back to get you. The attendants/servers on the beach can also contact taxis if you don't have an idea of what time you'd like to return to the ship.

I think chair and umbrella rentals were about $15 per set of chair and umbrella.

Taxis within the port area will charge you $8 per person each way (not including tip). If you leave the port area, I've been told it's half that price via Mitsugirly's review. I didn't double-check her notes carefully enough prior so I missed it. You can make arrangements with the driver to come back to get you. The attendants/servers on the beach can also contact taxis if you don't have an idea of what time you'd like to return to the ship.

I think chair and umbrella rentals were about $15 per set of chair and umbrella.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it better to pre book a private taxi like sunny or Air Force 1 papa bear? What's the difference for first timers? Ideally we only want to see the beach and maybe a lookout

Will most taxi drivers take you via some scenic point? How do u negotiate pick up? Are they likely to return? Would hate to miss our ship and I prefer to plan more than anything

I'm still torn between Coki and sapphire with a 6 and 8 year old who want to snorkel

Was also considering a chartered boat tour but not too sure if that's a better option for first timers (one love charter)

Is it better to pre book a private taxi like sunny or Air Force 1 papa bear? What's the difference for first timers? Ideally we only want to see the beach and maybe a lookout

Will most taxi drivers take you via some scenic point? How do u negotiate pick up? Are they likely to return? Would hate to miss our ship and I prefer to plan more than anything

I'm still torn between Coki and sapphire with a 6 and 8 year old who want to snorkel

Was also considering a chartered boat tour but not too sure if that's a better option for first timers (one love charter)

Really depends on your final decision (beach, beach with tour, or day sail) as all are good options if you read many of the other threads (you can also use the Search function with key words) you'll find taxis are easily gotten at both the dock and the popular beaches like Magens, Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach), Coki, and Sapphire. That is the fastest way to the beach, and some drivers will stop my the overlook on Skyline Drive on the way back to the ship, just ask them before getting in.

If you want a cookie cutter tour with an independent operator with some time at a beach that the group chooses that is an option, or you can go the private route with Dean's taxi, for example and choose your own itinerary and beach. That would be our choice for a first visit.

There are excellent day sails if you want to snorkel off the cays of St John like Yacht Nightwind and High Pockets.

Our first visits to St Thomas we wanted to see some of the history and enjoy a beach and we hired Stanley Coram for a private tour. But you can just taxi to beautiful Sapphire Beach, then do a walking tour of the historic area near town before heading back to the ship. Paradise Point is also a fun spot after a beach with great views of the harbors and ships

Here's a map of the island -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/images/st-thomas-island-road-map.jpg

And there is a thread with web cams at Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Elysian Beach if interested.

[EDIT] Just noted you have younger kids and Coki would be a good choice for you and you can ask your driver and drivers at Coki if stopping at the overlook is an option.

Edited by blue_water

If you're a planner you're probably off with a private taxi so you won't have to worry about any logistics. But, for your small group a smaller taxi vehicle would work better so I would recommend Coco Brown who mostly uses a van but has access to other vehicles.

Phone 340.690.5046. Email taxicocobrown1967@yahoo.com

Really depends on your final decision (beach, beach with tour, or day sail) as all are good options if you read many of the other threads (you can also use the Search function with key words) you'll find taxis are easily gotten at both the dock and the popular beaches like Magens, Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach), Coki, and Sapphire. That is the fastest way to the beach, and some drivers will stop my the overlook on Skyline Drive on the way back to the ship, just ask them before getting in.

If you want a cookie cutter tour with an independent operator with some time at a beach that the group chooses that is an option, or you can go the private route with Dean's taxi, for example and choose your own itinerary and beach. That would be our choice for a first visit.

There are excellent day sails if you want to snorkel off the cays of St John like Yacht Nightwind and High Pockets.

Our first visits to St Thomas we wanted to see some of the history and enjoy a beach and we hired Stanley Coram for a private tour. But you can just taxi to beautiful Sapphire Beach, then do a walking tour of the historic area near town before heading back to the ship. Paradise Point is also a fun spot after a beach with great views of the harbors and ships

Here's a map of the island -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/images/st-thomas-island-road-map.jpg

And there is a thread with web cams at Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Elysian Beach if interested.

[EDIT] Just noted you have younger kids and Coki would be a good choice for you and you can ask your driver and drivers at Coki if stopping at the overlook is an option.

Great thanks for the recommendations. I just wasn't sure if being first timers we should do a cruise to st john everyone raves about st john and trunk bay, but i am not sure whether ill be just as blown away with the beauty on St Thomas. Want to avoid a cookie cutter tour. All the reviews i read on St John excursion booked via cruise ship say they spend more time transiting and not much beach time

If you enjoy snorkeling, Coki is a great spot. My family really enjoyed seeing all the sea life. We were there for about 4 hours. Our driver was right on schedule when he came back to pick us up to go back to the ship...and the Coki staff walked over to let us know he was pulling in.

I would probably go to St. John the next time we find ourselves in St. Thomas.

Great thanks for the recommendations. I just wasn't sure if being first timers we should do a cruise to st john everyone raves about st john and trunk bay, but i am not sure whether ill be just as blown away with the beauty on St Thomas. Want to avoid a cookie cutter tour. All the reviews i read on St John excursion booked via cruise ship say they spend more time transiting and not much beach time

Yes I would agree with enjoying STT this visit. STJ is also beautiful as much of it is a national park. You will spend another 1.5 - 2 hrs or so in travel time but it's still a nice day. But for snorkeling yes, Coki makes the most sense and I think you'd enjoy your day ...

Yes I would agree with enjoying STT this visit. STJ is also beautiful as much of it is a national park. You will spend another 1.5 - 2 hrs or so in travel time but it's still a nice day. But for snorkeling yes, Coki makes the most sense and I think you'd enjoy your day ...

Even for first time kids? Is it an easy snorkel or do they have to swim out? They are first time snorkellers and aged 6 and 8

I guess we won't be seeing turtles if he hang around STT.

You can sometimes see fish at Coki from the shore so no need to swim too far. Though it's not recommended, many people feed the fish at Coki so the fish come at you expecting food.

There are turtles in St Thomas waters, but the beaches where they are more prevalent aren't often recommended. I think your chances of seeing turtles are better at Sapphire than at Coki. I don't know that there's any "turtle" grass at Coki.

The excursions that go to Turtle Cove take you to an area that has turtle grass.