Tahitian Black Pearls

ducklite

95% of people will not know the difference between a $1000 pearl or a $100 pearl. If your set on getting a couple of perfect pearls and have the money then by all means shop at the big name shops. If you like bringing home a string of pearls and don't want to steal from the grand kids college fund then look around, there are other choices. The little stands at the tender locations have cute stuff but nothing of real quality. The stand at Motu Mahana has some better stuff and the prices are fair.

My BH never spends more than $150 per pearl, usually less and unless one is a skilled jeweler nobody can tell the difference.

If you want custom pearl jewelry that is reasonably price from honest and ethical jewelers I would point you to:

Eimeo fine jewelry - http://eimeofinejewelry.com/index.html

Eve Perles - http://evapearls.com/

For top quality pearls - Ron Hall on Moorea

For buckets of reasonably priced pearls that aren't perfect but you want a handful - Mihiarii pearls on Tahiti

Yeah $40 - $60 on the Motu for a cute little one but more for a better one.

But you can get the real cheap ones at the little stands around the dock/tender drop off for $15 - $20 though I wouldn't want to buy them.

What we have found after looking a thousands of pearls over the years is you can get nice looking ones from $50 - $150. The size, color and sheen will dictate the prices in this category.

For top notch pearls with a good thick outer layer the price is more and you want to go to a quality shop.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Doesn't that price depend on the quality and size of the pearl? Or is that an average?

Wendy, There was a bowl/shell with many pearls in it. When I asked the price, I was told $43. No mention was made of size or quality.

I ended up buying mine at the Moorea tender port. Not the best quality, but that isn't what I was looking for. I picked out some fun and funky pearls 6 for $20.

Edited by NCCruzQueen

When my wife is on the hunt she goes to places that have more than 50,000 pearls at any given time. She will dump 500 pearls on the lighted table where she can start matching up size and color. Once she has a bunch she will then go through each one and look for the best quality. Might take you a half day but you can get a nice strand for less than you may think. This was taken last December when she came home with another bag of marbles. :D

pearls_zps071c3f9a.jpg

Oh my!! It's pearl heaven!!!

I purchased two sets of pearls from a small store on Moorea 3 years ago. I've worn them almost daily and love them more than anything else I've ever purchased on a trip.

Find something you love, and wear it often!

• 1 year later...

I wanted to update my experience. We visited several vendors including Two Robert Wan locations and Ron Hall. I ultimately fell in love with a 17" strand at Ron Hall. We liked that his shop was modest--glitz and glam as well as locations in resorts add to overhead which raise prices. When we walked in, Ron was at the counter. He was very patient and helpful.

Bottom line we bought the pearls fro Ron Hall and they were appraised at 3 1/2 times what we paid for them. I was extremely happy with the experience, and obviously the value. If you are looking for pearls in FP, Ron Hall is the place to go.

I think the real ones feel textured instead of silky smooth....

I prefer to go on trust so haven't bit down on one. Neither have I tried to scratch glass with my gewgaws!

Did you bite down on one? Yes you can tell the real ones from the fake ones ;)

You are supposed to lightly rub them against the front of your tooth; they should feel gritty. You are not supposed to bite down on them!

Edited by 6rugrats