Edinburgh taxis

We will be doing Edinburgh on our own and may catch a taxi to a couple of places - just to save time. Do taxis there accept credit cards or will we need to have GBP? Any idea how expensive they will be?

Any Edinburgh tips you may have for us would be appreciated!

Julie

Deuteronomy 4:29

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by juliejoe:

We will be doing Edinburgh on our own and may catch a taxi to a couple of places - just to save time. Do taxis there accept credit cards or will we need to have GBP? Any idea how expensive they will be?

Julie

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last time I was there they did not take CC,but that was a few years ago.You will need £'s anyway.Cabs can be expensive,but not to bad.If you do the Hop/on Hop/off tour bus( which is really agreat way to see the city) you should be able to see all the sights,get off when you want and even walk to the next stop if you want to walk on the Royal Mile.My favorite place is Holyrood at the far end of the Royal Mile.As you are facing the castle to the left right under the shrubs by the abbey ruins there are amny bodies buried there from a plague they had.They found this out when they were digging to replant a few years back.It is still a royal castle as Princess Anne uses it for her Scotland residence(not much,but it keeps the castle going).Anyway,there is some shopping on Prices Street,and a lot of really neat pubs going up the royal Mile,but off to the left near one of the churches( can't remember the stree that goes off there).Great for pictures with all the flowers.I think you will really Edinburgh.Have a GREAT cruise back to back.BTW, if you are at the Ed. Castle at 10 am do not be holding a cup of coffee with no lid when the cannon goes off...icon_smile.gif

Karen

Ü

Karen,

After reading your post I did a search for info on the hop on/off bus for Edinburgh and it does sound like the thing to do.

icon_smile.gifIf we can make it to the Castle early, we'll brace ourselves for the 10:00 jolt. Thanks for the tip!

Julie

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

hi julie you will need gbp for taxi in edinburgh if you have time try to go to the whisky heritage centre it is next to castle and princess street gardens below castle they have brill shops and the name of the man who fires the gun at the castle is called tam

Hi....We will also be doing Edinburg on your own in June.....Could anyone tell me how much time they spent touring Edinburgh castle.I hope in 4 hours to do the Hop on/off bus,The Castle,a quick visit to St.Giles Cathedral and The Hard Rock Cafe...This will be our first visit to Edinburgh and would apprecate any advice.........Thanks ...Debbie

Jewel of the Seas 6/04

Pride of Aloha 1/05

• 10 years later...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by juliejoe:

Julie

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last time I was there they did not take CC,but that was a few years ago.You will need £'s anyway.Cabs can be expensive,but not to bad.If you do the Hop/on Hop/off tour bus( which is really agreat way to see the city) you should be able to see all the sights,get off when you want and even walk to the next stop if you want to walk on the Royal Mile.My favorite place is Holyrood at the far end of the Royal Mile.As you are facing the castle to the left right under the shrubs by the abbey ruins there are amny bodies buried there from a plague they had.They found this out when they were digging to replant a few years back.It is still a royal castle as Princess Anne uses it for her Scotland residence(not much,but it keeps the castle going).Anyway,there is some shopping on Prices Street,and a lot of really neat pubs going up the royal Mile,but off to the left near one of the churches( can't remember the stree that goes off there).Great for pictures with all the flowers.I think you will really Edinburgh.Have a GREAT cruise back to back.BTW, if you are at the Ed. Castle at 10 am do not be holding a cup of coffee with no lid when the cannon goes off...icon_smile.gif

Karen

Ü

I am glad to hear that there are cabs readily available from port to Castle. Are there also cabs readily available from the Castle to the a Royal Mile? App. What is the travel time between each?

Does anyone know the travel time between Edinburgh & Rosalyn Chapel? Has anyone used a private guide in the area?

Thank you,

I am glad to hear that there are cabs readily available from port to Castle. Are there also cabs readily available from the Castle to the a Royal Mile? App. What is the travel time between each?

Does anyone know the travel time between Edinburgh & Rosalyn Chapel? Has anyone used a private guide in the area?

Thank you,

The Castle is at the top and start of the Royal Mile, with Holyrood Palace being at the bottom.

Just spotted this thread so happy to help as I live locally and I'm a volunteer with cruiseforth. We're a group of volunteers who meet and greet ships when they come into Leith, Rosyth and South Queensferry, the three ports for Edinburgh First of all I'll mention the website which ahs quite a lot of useful info - http://www.cruiseforth.co.uk.

Now sweesea, 4 hours will be very tight. Your hop-on hop off is going to take 60 - 90 minutes depending on traffic. Have a look at their website and you will see there are various tours on offer

http://edinburghtour.com/

However before you even get on the hoho, you have to get into Edinburgh so where are you docking? This can take anything up to an hour depending if you use bus / train or taxi. The queues at the Castle can be long so I would advise pre-booking at: http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/. I'd want at least 2 hours because the castle is spread out and there's a lot of walking around with so much history

St Giles is about 5 minutes walk from the Castle then The Hard Rock is maybe 15 minutes walk from St Giles

Hope that helps and I'm just going out but will try and help others in a couple of hours.

Julie

<')))><

I've attached a link to the website of one of the major taxi firms in Edinburgh and they accept credit cards. The individual taxis display which company they work for and you wouldn't have much trouble finding a Central cab (or ringing for one if you have a mobile that works in the UK)

http://taxis-edinburgh.co.uk/

However Edinburgh is a very walkable city so if you tell me where you were thinking of visiting I'll tell you if you'll need a taxi or if it will be quicker to walk.

Let me know if you have any questions I can help with

Thank you,

First of all I strongly advise which port you will be docking at as Edinburgh has three cruise ports and I'd give different advice for each one. Nest the Castle is at the top of the Royal Mile so once you've finished your tour of the castle you can walk all the way down the Royal Mile to the Palace of Holyrood. It's called the Royal Mile because it was the distance from the King or Queen's official residence to the castle.

Rosslyn Chapel is really just on the outskirts of Edinburgh. if there are no traffic issues you'd be there in about 30 mins from the city centre e.g. Waverley Bridge. You can actually get there by bus from Princes Street, the main thoroughfare, and as you can see in this timetable I've linked to it takes about 50 minutes and costs £1.50 one way per person. Once I know where you're docking I'll be able to tell you more on where you could get the bus

http://lothianbuses.com/plan-a-journey/timetables/37

Once you get to Rosslyn there is a guide who gives a presentation every hour on the hour.

Thank you,

First of all I strongly advise you to find out which port you will be docking at as Edinburgh has three cruise ports and I'd give different advice for each one. The website I mentioned in a previous post will tell you:

http://www.cruiseforth.co.uk

Nesx the Castle is at the top of the Royal Mile so once you've finished your tour of the Castle you can walk all the way down the Royal Mile to the Palace of Holyrood. It's called the Royal Mile because it was the distance, roughly a mile, from the King or Queen's official residence (Holyrood) to their castle.

Rosslyn Chapel is really just on the outskirts of Edinburgh. if there are no traffic issues you'd be there in about 30 mins from the city centre e.g. Waverley Bridge. You can actually get there by bus from Princes Street, the main thoroughfare, and as you can see in this timetable I've linked to it takes about 50 minutes and costs £1.50 one way per person. Once I know where you're docking I'll be able to tell you more on where you could get the bus

http://lothianbuses.com/plan-a-journey/timetables/37

Once you get to Rosslyn there is a guide who gives a presentation every hour on the hour.

Just spotted this thread so happy to help as I live locally and I'm a volunteer with cruiseforth. We're a group of volunteers who meet and greet ship

Hope that helps and I'm just going out but will try and help others in a couple of hours.

You state you'd like to help us so was wondering if you can help me. We will be visiting Edinburgh post cruise coming from Leeds, arriving in a month on the 11:58 train, staying at the Royal Scots Club and hoping to leave the following day around noon for Glasgow (I did not prebook those train tickets because there are hourly trains). We want to visit the castle and also the royal yacht Britannia. I read that the yacht is only open from 10:00 to 3:30 daily. The castle says it is open 9:00 to 6:00.

My plan is to check into the hotel, go see the castle and walk around that area and locate a restaurant for dinner and then go visit the yacht the next morning. I think we would need to check out of the hotel first but hopefully they could store our luggage until we return and then walk over to the train station.

Wondering about transportation around town. Can you walk to the castle? or do we take a bus or taxi - what would you recommend? And how should we get to the yacht and back?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help. Can't wait to visit your country.

Thanks.

I am in Glasgow so not as familiar with Edinburgh as Tartinexile, but I would say it is a fair walk from the Royal Scots Club to the Castle, mainly because it is at the top of a pretty steep hill!

Its doable, but I would get a taxi costing i would guess £12-15.

In the morning, there are buses to take you down to the Royal Yacht.

In the area of your hotel, there are countless restaurants and pubs serving every cuisine you could imagine, from Scottish, Italian, Indian , Chinese, French etc

As an aside, the train service to Glasgow runs very 30 minutes and there is no need to book

Thanks Scottie,

I really appreciate you taking the time to help. We will use a taxi to the castle.

When we get to Glasgow, we will need to change trains to Wemyss Bay so we can get the ferry to Rothesay. Do we purchase the ticket in Edinburgh just to Glasgow, to Wemyss Bay or also along with the ferry? It is always nice to have a local to answer questions. I'd be glad to help people but I doubt anyone wants to come to our little town. First time in a place is always so hard and confusing.

Thanks again

tartanexile81, thank you so much for providing the link to the cruiseforth website. It is very useful and I will pass it on to some of my fellow cruisers who will be staying in Edinburgh.

We have had the pleasure of spending time in Edinburgh in the past and, unfortunately, on this trip will have to head immediately to the airport. We will be arriving in Leith (July 4, Star Legend) at 4:45 am and have an 8:20 flight to catch. Do you have any recommendation on how much time to allow to get to the airport and through check-in for our flight. I had originally thought of leaving the ship at 6:00 am. Second question, will there be taxis available at Leith that early in the morning or should we prearrange something?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks Scottie,

I really appreciate you taking the time to help. We will use a taxi to the castle.

When we get to Glasgow, we will need to change trains to Wemyss Bay so we can get the ferry to Rothesay. Do we purchase the ticket in Edinburgh just to Glasgow, to Wemyss Bay or also along with the ferry? It is always nice to have a local to answer questions. I'd be glad to help people but I doubt anyone wants to come to our little town. First time in a place is always so hard and confusing.

Thanks again

You can buy one ticket at Edinburgh which will include your train from Edinburgh to wemyss bay, via glasgow and your ferry to Rothesay.

Just be aware you arrive at Glasgow Queen St station and have to go to Glasgow Central for the train to Wemyss Bay. There is a shuttle or taxis available or it is about 8 minutes walk.

Check the trainline.com for ticket prices and timetables

You state you'd like to help us so was wondering if you can help me. We will be visiting Edinburgh post cruise coming from Leeds, arriving in a month on the 11:58 train, staying at the Royal Scots Club and hoping to leave the following day around noon for Glasgow (I did not prebook those train tickets because there are hourly trains). We want to visit the castle and also the royal yacht Britannia. I read that the yacht is only open from 10:00 to 3:30 daily. The castle says it is open 9:00 to 6:00.

My plan is to check into the hotel, go see the castle and walk around that area and locate a restaurant for dinner and then go visit the yacht the next morning. I think we would need to check out of the hotel first but hopefully they could store our luggage until we return and then walk over to the train station.

Wondering about transportation around town. Can you walk to the castle? or do we take a bus or taxi - what would you recommend? And how should we get to the yacht and back?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help. Can't wait to visit your country.

Thanks.

I'm sorry compozer but I wrote a lengthy reply which would have answered all your questions (I hope!) but for whatever reason it disappeared into the ether :( It's now 11.20 p.m. here and I don't have the energy to write it all again tonight but I'll certainly try again tomorrow.

You can buy one ticket at Edinburgh which will include your train from Edinburgh to wemyss bay, via glasgow and your ferry to Rothesay.

Just be aware you arrive at Glasgow Queen St station and have to go to Glasgow Central for the train to Wemyss Bay. There is a shuttle or taxis available or it is about 8 minutes walk.

Check the trainline.com for ticket prices and timetables

Wow - I did not realize that. Thanks so much for telling me.

Archived