Cancel one person

nanaj1

My husband and I have been planning a trip to Europe, on Epic Sept.6, for over a year. We are meeting my sister and brother in law, coming from England, we are from Canada. My husband's doctor has said he can't go, he is getting a heart stint put in. This trip was for his 80th birthday. We have discussed and agreed that I do this trip as it will disappoint my sister if I didn't go. We have a lot of family who can look after him while I am away. Please no bashing me, he will be well taken care of.

We have requested MasterCard to refund his part of the cruise. Norwegian has refunded tours and restaurant pre paid reservations. Airline has refunded flight.

I am hoping, when I get to the dock in Barcelona, that I will not have any problem with my cabin. We are not getting money back from Norwegian, for the cabin, so everything will be the same. Does everyone agree. I am just a bit nervous....

I am a bit confused first you say you have asked master card to refund his part of the cruise and then you say you are not getting anything back from NCL???

If it for this september unless you have travel insurance you are in the penalty period and will not get a refund for the cruise for him

Did you pay for the cabin with your Master Card? If you has stopped payment on half the cost of the cabin (i.e., the refund from Master Card if you paid the final payment with the card), you still owe NCL the cost of his fare as you were within final payment. In any case, if NCL allowed you to cancel him, you now owe the single supplement which is the fare that NCL did not refund to you. (the fares of passenger one and two are the cost of a single cabin).

I would be very worried about being allowed to board the ship if half my fare was unpaid.

Don't plan on the refund from Master Charge. There is often restrictions on "cancel for any reason" refunds or it might be difficult to get a refund on money on a cruise that you now owe the single cabin rate and therefore have not "lost"

the cost of his fare which is now part of your single rate.

I hope there is no problem, have you checked your booking online to make sure YOU still have a cabin? Is your reservation still there?

If you are sailing solo you will pay the supplement of 200% so you should not have any refund from the cruise at all.

We have spoken to them already, MasterCard, and there doesn't seem to be a problem!
But don't they require some kind of proof from NCL that your husband's cruise has actually been canceled? Surely they don't just take your word for it that he's not going, do they?

There is always the danger that NCL will delete one person, pocket their cruise fare, and then reprice the cabin for the remaining passenger, whose cruise fare suddenly doubles because they are now traveling solo. Your travel insurance may actually cover the costs for both people. But I have also heard that NCL is not usually that strict, and people are able to cancel one person in the 100% penalty period without incurring an additional single supplement.

Make sure you find out from MC exactly what paperwork they need from the cruise line.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I might be wrong but my interpretation of what the original poster is saying is that she has a Travel Insurance Policy with MasterCard. The funds which are being transferred to OP are on the basis of an insurance claim and that they are paying them out of their risk fund. It is not technically a refund as OP states. It is an insurance payout against a claim. Incidentally this is cheaper for the insurers as they are only paying out on a claim for for a single person not travelling not a total cancellation of all parties travelling on the booking; that's why they are happy to do it this way in my opinion. The MasterCard people are NOT refunding any money on the basis of a claw back from the original payment made to Norwegian Cruise Line. The cruise line still has the full fare for all the originally booked passengers and is keeping it. The confusion seems to me due to MasterCard being the Insurers and the credit card people but they are acting as two different companies doing separate things.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Did you pay for the cabin with your Master Card? If you has stopped payment on half the cost of the cabin (i.e., the refund from Master Card if you paid the final payment with the card), you still owe NCL the cost of his fare as you were within final payment. In any case, if NCL allowed you to cancel him, you now owe the single supplement which is the fare that NCL did not refund to you. (the fares of passenger one and two are the cost of a single cabin).

I would be very worried about being allowed to board the ship if half my fare was unpaid.

I would be concerned too, this isn't making total sense. If hubby's reservation as been cancelled, it's a 100% loss at this late date. As others said, there is no refund of anything due to him not being there. Cabins are booked double occupancy and the original fare was for 2. You don't get to sail at half price with just one in the cabin and still get a refund from MC. Someone must pay for passenger 2, which was hubby.

The Money is NOT coming from Norwegian, it is coming from the insurance we have from MasterCard. No money will come from the cruise. MasterCard get the money from their insurance. Same as if your card was lost, and someone racked up charges on the card, MasterCard would refund the money...

You seem to have all the answers to your satisfaction before even posting here.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why ask the question when you think you know the answers. Surely to be certain you are ok with NCL you would contact them and get a definitive answer.

You seem to have all the answers to your satisfaction before even posting here.

I had assumed poster sought reassurance, remember husband was coming up to 80th birthday and probably lady would not want to burden him with responsibilities and questions in light of recent health issue.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Thank you John. I was just looking for some reassurance from my C.C friends, thank you to the ones that were helpful. This is a nervous time for me. C.C has always been there to help in the past,

and I wanted to run this by them.

The Money is NOT coming from Norwegian, it is coming from the insurance we have from MasterCard. No money will come from the cruise. MasterCard get the money from their insurance. Same as if your card was lost, and someone racked up charges on the card, MasterCard would refund the money...

But in this case, someone has not made a fraudulent charge. You are still receiving what was originally paid for, i.e.; a cabin whether the fare is divided between two people or is paid for by a single passenger.

Somehow, you expect your Master Card insurance to cover a charge for a cabin that you still need to pay the fare on (either divided between two people or as a single passenger).

Once again, you had better check with NCL and make sure that you still have a cabin and that it is considered paid in full. If your Master Card has refunded the money, someone is out half the fare for the cabin and it won't be NCL.

Sorry about your husband's health. For your own reassurance I would check with NCL to make sure your reservation is still in place. As long as you are still listed in your cabin, and you are paid in full you should not have a problem at the dock.

Edited by redfantum

I can understand wanting reassurance, but from what I understand of the situation, the OP has no grounds to be reassured. I would not trust a "no problem!" from the insurance provider over the phone. There are never any problems, until you actually file a claim and attempt to get money out of them. I would ask them to send me in writing the exact procedure for making the claim, the exact forms that need to be filled out, the exact list of documents that need to be submitted to substantiate the claim.

No money is coming out of Norwegian. They will not be out of any money, the INSURANCE money from MasterCard will be giving my husbands half of the room to us, NOT Norwegian. So I will not have to pay anymore to them, as far as Norwegian is concerned everything is the same.

OK - somehow you thing Master Card Insurance is happy to pay for a cabin that has the same charge whether one person or two people share the cost and that one person is still using.

Glad to know that Christmas is coming early.

Hope everything goes well and that there are no surprises on your end.

OK - somehow you thing Master Card Insurance is happy to pay for a cabin that has the same charge whether one person or two people share the cost and that one person is still using.

Glad to know that Christmas is coming early.

Hope everything goes well and that there are no surprises on your end.

That is why you buy insurance. Take a look at the the insurance quote on your NCL cruise. The premiums are listed per person. If person A goes & person B does not, then person B can make a claim against the insurance. If they were 2 unrelated people, what do you think would happen?

No money is coming out of Norwegian. They will not be out of any money, the INSURANCE money from MasterCard will be giving my husbands half of the room to us, NOT Norwegian. So I will not have to pay anymore to them, as far as Norwegian is concerned everything is the same.

Right, Norwegian already has the money for the cabin. Just start the claims procedure with Master Card. I imagine the Dr. will have to provide supporting documentation. If you used a TA they should be able to help & I have found the credit card company insurance to be pretty easy to deal with.

So, I think you are saying is this. (Judging by how you explain here) The money from hubby's cancellation (which at this point should be 100% forfeited) will be applied to your solo account. Then , because he doesn't go, the insurance will reward him for not going (simplified way of saying it) by giving his half back to you like a refund.