Vision of the Seas for a 16 year old

ej1970

Hi I am looking at a cruise on Vision of the Seas in the Med next year. My daughter has previously been on Carnival Sunshine twice and it has loads of facilities for her. Can anyone tell me what the facilities are like on Vision for teenagers I know Freedom of the Seas would be a better ship but don't fancy the ports and it is a lot more expensive. Is Vision a good choice.

Many thanks

Vision Class ships are among RCI's smallest and oldest, recent makeovers notwithstanding. As such, the amenities are limited ... they wouldn't be my choice for teens. The Carnival Sunshine/Destiny is more comparable to Royal Caribbean's Voyager Class, which caters to passengers of all ages. Additionally, the Mediterranean itinerary itself draws an older clientele. We've sailed both Vision and Splendour on such cruises, and didn't notice many children of any age group. Conversely, every RCI Voyager Class ship we've sailed on had its share of teens, irrespective of time of year. I suggest that you reconsider both the ship and itinerary.

Al

If I was teen - I think I'd be thrilled to go on just about any cruise/ship!

With that said, Vision would not be my choice. As a matter of fact - it's my least favorite ship in the entire fleet, adult or teen. But that's just my opinion.

- Doc

Is your daughter someone who likes to do lots of stuff or just to hang around with people her age?

When my sons were a similar age to her they had one of their best cruises ever on Legend (same class as Vision) because they used to go to the teen club with all the people their age - they had a great group which got on really well together because it wasn't too big.

If you're travelling during school holidays there will be people her age and if she's happy to go along to the teen club and doesn't want all the bells and whistles which the big ships offer, she should be fine.

Hi I am looking at a cruise on Vision of the Seas in the Med next year.

I feel that the key to this question is the above... the Med. My answer would definitely be different if we were talking about Cozumel/Bahamas/etc...

I feel that the Med is not about the ship, it's about the ports. Note that on any one of those 12 day itineraries you'll have max 4 sea days. On those 8 port days you'll be awake at 6am for sail-in and getting to your excursions, out at port all day until 5-6pm, then enjoying the nightlife on board and getting up again at 6am the next day... read various reviews, you will be exhausted! (in a good way :p). This cruise is not like a Caribbean cruise where you're at sea 75% of the time (Ie. Oasis or Allure) where the ship is the focus. Besides, likely your daughter will be sleeping in until after the noon hour and wanting quality tanning time on those sea days anyways! I feel that Vision/Radiance Class ships are perfect in the Med.

Have an awesome cruise! :D

p.s. Which date/itinerary are you looking at?

I feel that the key to this question is the above... the Med. My answer would definitely be different if we were talking about Cozumel/Bahamas/etc...

I feel that the Med is not about the ship, it's about the ports.

This is essentially what I was going to say. We got the kids up at early, were in the first groups off the ship, toured frantically, and got back just before they pulled up the gangplank. Left little time except for meals.

We were on a Freedom class ship, but other than an hour at the ice skating rink and another on the flo-rider, we might just as well have been on the Vision

If you are at all worried, offer the kid part of the cost savings as spending money and let her choose

I feel that the Med is not about the ship, it's about the ports. Note that on any one of those 12 day itineraries you'll have max 4 sea days. On those 8 port days you'll be awake at 6am for sail-in and getting to your excursions, out at port all day until 5-6pm, then enjoying the nightlife on board and getting up again at 6am the next day... read various reviews, you will be exhausted! (in a good way :p). This cruise is not like a Caribbean cruise where you're at sea 75% of the time (Ie. Oasis or Allure) where the ship is the focus. Besides, likely your daughter will be sleeping in until after the noon hour and wanting quality tanning time on those sea days anyways! I feel that Vision/Radiance Class ships are perfect in the Med.

Thanks for all the replies ...still not sure what to do the ports are great we are looking at the 12 night cruise July 12th from Barcelona it's sails to France Italy and Montenegro. We have done both Med and Caribbean cruises before and my daughter does love visiting the different ports there are only 3 sea days out of the 12 so we will be off the ship a lot. She enjoys hanging out with kids of her own age more so than partaking in the ships activities once there are teenagers on the ship she will be fine. I was looking at Freedom of the Seas but the ports it visits are not great.

Thanks for all the replies ...still not sure what to do the ports are great we are looking at the 12 night cruise July 12th from Barcelona it's sails to France Italy and Montenegro. We have done both Med and Caribbean cruises before and my daughter does love visiting the different ports there are only 3 sea days out of the 12 so we will be off the ship a lot. She enjoys hanging out with kids of her own age more so than partaking in the ships activities once there are teenagers on the ship she will be fine. I was looking at Freedom of the Seas but the ports it visits are not great.

Ah July 15th... AWESOME!!!! Venice overnight and Kotor... even more AWESOME!!! :D:D

I you feel like it, check out my Serenade review from just 2 months ago below in my signature with Rome, Naples, Kotor & Venice reviews/pictures... totally amazing. One of the highlite trips of my life so far :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2108833

And these recent great reviews by Coolgirl & IrishCath will fill in Ravenna, Livorno, etc

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2081173

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2065892

That's exactly the reason we booked on Vision for a 12 night med in May 2015 instead of a larger RCCL class ship- we plan to be port- exhausted most days and then just relax on the last 2 sea days, so vision seemed just fine in size.