Wide feet: ECCO, Keen or other brand?

JetSet2B

I'm looking for some new shoes to purchase for my upcoming Mediterranean cruise. I have 5 tours booked so I will be doing a TON of walking! I'm looking for comfortable shoes. My main problem is I have a wide foot. Most brands don't accommodate wide feet so I'll have to size up. I typically wear Clarks in my daily life but they are not cushiony enough for me to bring to Europe IMO. Looking for ideas for shoes that would be perfect for early October. Thanks!

Keens have a wide toe box.

Look at Skechers. Some of their styles have wider toeboxes.

Need to try lots of shoes on. My Eccos look very narrow but I find them comfortable.

DH got his Keens at REI. Was able to test them out on their rock climber. Nothing worse than feeling cobblestones under your feet.

Edited by SadieN

I have moderately wide feet and love danskos. Can't wear most Clark's but some Privo are ok (same company) Can't wear keen sandals but love boots except I size up a half size. Merrells used to be great for me but they changed their last a few years ago and now most hit my arches at the wrong spot :-( I wear Birkenstocks - have for decades but can no longer walk miles in them all over Europe as I could when I was 20 - I need a back strap or more enclosure these days ;-) Have a couple Eccos I adore bit not all styles are comfortable. Have a pair of Taos sandals that are really comfortable and cute. Teva has some cute leather styles but I can't walk as far in them. Just got some chacos that I like but haven't broken them in enough to know if they'll be good for miles of walking yet.

Birkenstock's have lots of styles, including backs traps and closed toes. My issue is wearing the cork soles in the rain.

I've never had an issue with the cork in the rain. I also am not a fan of the styles that are closed in or have ankle straps - I don't even like the Arizona; I'm finicky apparently. I have the Ibiza and Gizeh now.

My main point is there are LOTS of options out there, but you might have to pay more than you're used to (depending on your regular shoe budget) and you might have to order online because local stores don't stock wider widths at all or in many styles. I can't recall the last time I bought shoes in person. Not even Nordstrom has what I want in the stores. Try try try. Good luck!

[i don't have a problem spending what I spend on shoes because I don't own a gazillion pairs and what I have I keep in good shape and will wear for years so my cost per use is usually quite low:D]

If you like Clarks, have you looked at their Wave Trek shoe?

https://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Wave-Trek-Sneaker-Leather/dp/B0072GDCFK/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1473127398&sr=1-1&nodeID=7147440011&keywords=Clarks+wave+trek

Some online stores carry them in wide.

If you are really going to be walking miles and miles, it pays to get really good shoes -- with FIRM soles (not like the Skechers GoWalk shoes) so you don't get bruised soles from the cobbles. Sandals can work but I'd look for ones that stay on your feet and ideally give you some toe protection. Not flip flops -- though I know some people use them with no problems, I find they have too many drawbacks for the kind of intensive walking I do in Europe (e.g., potentially twisted ankle, stubbed toe, and not to mention dirty feet!).

I have been known to walk 10 miles and more in a day in Rome. Though I would like to be stylish, I have found it's much better to wear really great shoes that hopefully don't look too bad. I have recently been very impressed with the ABEO shoes from The Walking Company. I have a pair that, while expensive, have lasted me through 6 European trips with tons of walking. As long as I replace the insoles periodically, they keep going and are very comfortable. (And at the end of the day I can still put on some cuter shoes and walk to dinner without hobbling....!)

Sandals can work but I'd look for ones that stay on your feet and ideally give you some toe protection. Not flip flops -- though I know some people use them with no problems, I find they have too many drawbacks for the kind of intensive walking I do in Europe (e.g., potentially twisted ankle, stubbed toe, and not to mention dirty feet!).

I don't mind dirty feet at all - I love sandals as when it's hot my feet get claustrophobic:o That's why for years my Dansko Elena has been my go-to walking sandal - thick firm sole, lacing means they're adjustable in case of swelling. I've repaired the soles (can't be replaced entirely because they're integral to the rest of the shoe) and replaced the laces. Don't know what I'll do when they finally go:(

I don't mind dirty feet at all - I love sandals as when it's hot my feet get claustrophobic:o That's why for years my Dansko Elena has been my go-to walking sandal - thick firm sole, lacing means they're adjustable in case of swelling. I've repaired the soles (can't be replaced entirely because they're integral to the rest of the shoe) and replaced the laces. Don't know what I'll do when they finally go:(

We all have to go with what works best, right?

I am apparently extraordinarily clumsy or something, as whenever I try to wear sandals for intensive walking (especially in cities or at ruins), I end up bashing my toes. Thus, sandals aren't my favorite. But also, I don't have hot feet, at least not in regular shoes. Boots I can't do.

Thanks for all the responses! I typically buy shoes online and I may try a few pairs and return what doesn't work. I went to Europe earlier this year and got some Sketchers work shoes. They were ugly as sin but my feet were supported lol. I need something similar...but cuter. Will post what I find...

I also have the Keen Rose Sandal. Great shoe. Wide in toe box & true to size (& they come in half sizes). We trekked all over Maine, NH, Niagara Falls & even with my atrocious feet I wasn't in pain

I have moderately wide feet and love danskos. Can't wear most Clark's but some Privo are ok (same company) Can't wear keen sandals but love boots except I size up a half size. Merrells used to be great for me but they changed their last a few years ago and now most hit my arches at the wrong spot :-( I wear Birkenstocks - have for decades but can no longer walk miles in them all over Europe as I could when I was 20 - I need a back strap or more enclosure these days ;-) Have a couple Eccos I adore bit not all styles are comfortable. Have a pair of Taos sandals that are really comfortable and cute. Teva has some cute leather styles but I can't walk as far in them. Just got some chacos that I like but haven't broken them in enough to know if they'll be good for miles of walking yet.

I personally know many nurses with injured ankles due to Dansko shoes. One whom fell so hard when her ankle rolled she had severe head injuries when hitting the pavement.

Edited by easyswimmer

I personally know many nurses with injured ankles due to Dansko shoes. One whom fell so hard when her ankle rolled she had severe head injuries when hitting the pavement.

Sorry to hear that. Some people don't do well in clogs. I don't - so I don't wear the Dansko clog (which is what I see most healthcare personnel wear, including my mother, who's been a nurse for 45+ years - though she hasn't been able to wear it for the past 10 years as her feet/needs have changed).

We all have different preferences. If a shoe doesn't work for you, don't wear it. If it works, buy more. But the plural of anecdote is not data.

If you are able to find Ziera shoes, they have very generous and extra wide fittings.

Waldlaufer also has very wide fittings. I'm not sure if you can get Bared shoes overseas but they are designed by a podiatrist and have a biometric orthotic footbed - they are a joy to walk in.

Most shoes are too wide for me (I have a super narrow foot) so I'm up to date on all the comfortable brands because I try so many pairs on ;)

• 2 weeks later...