Has anyone done an antarctica trip by flying over the Drake?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

This whole idea is probably a bit frowned upon by most people in a cruise forum, but I have researched several companies that fly both ways over the Drake and then still have the cruise / exploration experiences once you get to Antarctica. I am quite frankly horrified at the thought of encountering rough seas crossing the Drake, being prone to motion sickness, and so am really tempted by the idea of flying. I'm sure the first sights of icebergs are fantastic, but I could easily forego this in the interest of avoiding the potential sickness crossing the Drake.

Thanks for any thoughts on this option.

Keith

Why not? Sounds like this is your choice for a fantastic trip to Antarctica. If someone else "frowns", who cares? There are other advantages to flying over the Drake...the days you would otherwise spend crossing the Drake can be spent experiencing Antarctic landings. Go for it.

Hi,

This whole idea is probably a bit frowned upon by most people in a cruise forum, but I have researched several companies that fly both ways over the Drake and then still have the cruise / exploration experiences once you get to Antarctica. I am quite frankly horrified at the thought of encountering rough seas crossing the Drake, being prone to motion sickness, and so am really tempted by the idea of flying. I'm sure the first sights of icebergs are fantastic, but I could easily forego this in the interest of avoiding the potential sickness crossing the Drake.

Thanks for any thoughts on this option.

Keith

My wife and I are signed up for a Quark "Fly the Drake" in January 2015. Our thinking was that we could take the longer Antarctic Circle itinerary by avoiding the four day (up and back) transit through Drake's Passage.

Bob

. . . I am quite frankly horrified at the thought of encountering rough seas crossing the Drake . . .

You mean you want to miss this? :)

DrakeSplash1024x678_zps9c13906c.jpg

(Drake Passage, photo by turtles06)

Seriously, you should pick whatever is best for you, and it seems like you do have some flying options. I hope you can work out a good itinerary! (Speaking only for myself, of course, I thought crossing the Drake was awesome, not just the water, but getting to watch albatross and other birds follow the ship for hours.)

There is a report "Ocean Nova Air Cruise" started by Dileep that addresses your question. It is currently on the bottom of page 1 of this forum. The most recent post was on January 29, 2013.

Edited by HDS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I read through your detailed description of your trip. I must say that the parts (and pictures of the Drake crossing) almost made me queasy just reading and looking at the pictures! It does not encourage me to want to make this trip. It always seems that when I get motion sick it stays with me for hours or more. I'm sure for people like yourself who apparently are pretty immune to the motion, I have no doubt the Drake experience is fantastic! I'm thinking that I had better stick to a flying option. Thanks for your excellent posts on your trip. Your pictures from Antarctica are amazing. I really do want to go, but I little enthusiasm for the Drake after what I read and saw in your posts.

Keith

Edited by three4rd

Hi,

I read through your detailed description of your trip. I must say that the parts (and pictures of the Drake crossing) almost made me queasy just reading and looking at the pictures! It does not encourage me to want to make this trip. It always seems that when I get motion sick it stays with me for hours or more. I'm sure for people like yourself who apparently are pretty immune to the motion, I have no doubt the Drake experience is fantastic! I'm thinking that I had better stick to a flying option. Thanks for your excellent posts on your trip. Your pictures from Antarctica are amazing. I really do want to go, but I little enthusiasm for the Drake after what I read and saw in your posts.

Keith

Keith, thanks very much for the kind words about my blog. I'm sorry that it's put you off the Drake, and I admit (as I said in another thread, not having seen your comment above) that as someone who doesn't get seasick and in fact enjoys feeling like I'm actually on a ship (as opposed to a floating hotel), I'm not the best person to give advice on this. (And in fact I will confess that I was anxious about the crossing before the trip, so I totally understand how anyone who actually does get seasick would be.) But have you considered wearing a patch? It really did wonders for the folks on our trip (including my spouse) who were wearing one.

At any rate, I hope you get to go, you will love it, however you get there!

With ANY cruise I intend from now on to go 'armed to the teeth' - wristbands, dramamine (I hate that stuff - it works but I feel zonked out on it most of the time), and ginger pills -which I've never used but I hear work well. I'm doing a 2-week southern in a few months - have never been on that long a cruise before so hoping for the best. And, yes, I can get seasick while cruising in the Caribbean. The open water around Alaska was a bit worse - had to leave dinner one night to go back to the room to get my wristbands. So now you can see my concern about the potential for Drake Shake.... :)

Thanks again for all the helpful thoughts...

Keith