St. Martin beach

Steinaker DD 863

Yes, there is a beach right in town, very easily accessible from the ship, either via the water taxi or walking. You can rent chairs/umbrellas, and there are bars you can buy drinks from....and probably food too. It's a very easy way to spend a day in St. Maarten.

Yes, there is a beach right in town, very easily accessible from the ship, either via the water taxi or walking. You can rent chairs/umbrellas, and there are bars you can buy drinks from....and probably food too. It's a very easy way to spend a day in St. Maarten.

Speaking of walking, I mapped it out on an online map and the walking is just over .4 miles. Easy to do in 10 minutes if your able.

Speaking of walking, I mapped it out on an online map and the walking is just over .4 miles. Easy to do in 10 minutes if your able.

I have always walked to and/or from town when in that port, even when on an excursion going elsewhere, I ask to be dropped in town, do some shopping/eating/drinking, and walk the rest of the way. It is not far, easily walkable, and provides some exercise that will help unload the calories from eating and drinking.

As for the beach, not a great one, but decent enough, and close to food/drink establishments.

Edited by 3dog

I have always walked to and/or from town when in that port, even when on an excursion going elsewhere, I ask to be dropped in town, do some shopping/eating/drinking, and walk the rest of the way. It is not far, easily walkable, and provides some exercise that will help unload the calories from eating and drinking.

As for the beach, not a great one, but decent enough, and close to food/drink establishments.

I agree. Its got a pretty wide sidewalk most of the way and is an easy walk.

Great Bay beach - which runs along a wide boardwalk running the length of Phillipsburg - is about a 20 minute walk from the pier. My only concern is the questionable water which flows into the bay at the east end - the end nearest the cruise terminal. The beach can be crowded, but there are plenty of options to rent chairs and umbrellas, get a few drinks or something to eat. It can be a very inexpensive way to spend a port day if you are not interested in seeing any more of the island.

There are beaches that are $4+ per person per taxi per way. Quite inexpensive and easy given that you have traveled so far and spent so much money to arrive in St. Maarten in the first place.

Agreed! There are much better beaches on the island other that Great Bay. You can catch a cab right in the port area, that will take you to many of them.

How far is Orient Beach? Are you able to rent chairs and/or umbrellas? Do they rent snorkeling gear? Is there food and drink for purchase?

Orient Beach is about 20 mins. from the pier, It call take a little longer depending on traffic and how many ships are in the port that day. Plenty of places on Orient to eat, rent chairs and umbrellas. Not much to see when snorkeling at Orient but I do believe you can rent some gear. Taxi cost will vary to Orient depending on how many passengers in the taxi. Five or more people in a taxi will cost you approx. $7-$9 pp one way and many people at the pier go over to Orient Beach. Plenty of taxis at Orient to take you back to the pier or into the town of Philipsburg. Many people enjoy going over to Pedro's, Kakao or Kontiki on Orient.