Debarkation oasis question

I don't like waiting in line for customs and one time had a panic attack doing so. I also don't like waking up at 5:30 either to do the walk off the plank. Is there any tips on getting though the line faster? Does getting a porter help or waiting to last call to get off help at all?

I don't like waiting in line for customs and one time had a panic attack doing so. I also don't like waking up at 5:30 either to do the walk off the plank. Is there any tips on getting though the line faster? Does getting a porter help or waiting to last call to get off help at all?

If you have the time, wait until last call.

We did the luggage valet, which allowed us to get off the ship without having to deal with getting our luggage to the airport. Anyway, we were in the Express Self line and from time we got in line, through customs to a taxi, it took us only 35 minutes. We got in line at 8:10a. The line moved quickly.

Express, luggage valet etc. It dosen't matter all have to go through customes and immigrations.

I did find the fatest way to get through customs was using a porter, don't know why but they usally have a special line for them and you zip through.

Could someone explain how last call works? We have flights leaving much later in the day and would like to stay on the boat as late as possible. Does it cost more to stay on the boat? I am not clear on the walk off versus leaving later.

Could someone explain how last call works? We have flights leaving much later in the day and would like to stay on the boat as late as possible. Does it cost more to stay on the boat? I am not clear on the walk off versus leaving later.

You have to leave your stateroom and go to one of the designated public waiting areas. There will be coffee, tea, and pastries for a while, but no other services. They will make an announcement when you must leave the ship, probably between 10:30am and 11am. It does not cost more.

Forgive my ignorance but where do you request or get a Porter to assist with luggage? I've got a big group of 12. We need to be together as we've got 4 little children .

We want to get out the quickest way and the 5:30am disembarking is very intimidating for me to drag 4 little kids so early in the morning and dragging all our luggage.

Forgive my ignorance but where do you request or get a Porter to assist with luggage? I've got a big group of 12. We need to be together as we've got 4 little children .

We want to get out the quickest way and the 5:30am disembarking is very intimidating for me to drag 4 little kids so early in the morning and dragging all our luggage.

You do not have to disembark that early unless you have a reason to do so. Also disembarkation doesn't normally begin that early - more likely 6:30 am and that is for passengers who wish to carry all their own luggage. You have to be able to take all your bags yourself and cannot use escalator unless you have a "free" hand which might limit you with kids. There is an elevator available but you may have to wait a few minutes to use. Once you are off the ship and cleared immigration you enter a large hall. There are lots of porters there to help with bags.

If you do regular disembarkation you put your bags out the night before and only have to carry your hand luggage. Same process as the walk off, except you claim your bags in the large hall mentioned above. Your bags are color coded with tags and on the ship they stagger departures until around 10:00.

Unless you have a specific reason to get off early, especially with kids, would think regular disembarkation would be easier for you.

If you are flying consider luggage valet program.

You do not have to disembark that early unless you have a reason to do so. Also disembarkation doesn't normally begin that early - more likely 6:30 am and that is for passengers who wish to carry all their own luggage. You have to be able to take all your bags yourself and cannot use escalator unless you have a "free" hand which might limit you with kids. There is an elevator available but you may have to wait a few minutes to use. Once you are off the ship and cleared immigration you enter a large hall. There are lots of porters there to help with bags.

If you do regular disembarkation you put your bags out the night before and only have to carry your hand luggage. Same process as the walk off, except you claim your bags in the large hall mentioned above. Your bags are color coded with tags and on the ship they stagger departures until around 10:00.

Unless you have a specific reason to get off early, especially with kids, would think regular disembarkation would be easier for you.

If you are flying consider luggage valet program.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

We've got a flight for 12:20pm. I'm guessing that should be enough time but our airline is doing renos in Fort Lauderdale and they strongly suggested we arrive 120minutes before departure. We hope to get there before then!

How does one purchase luggage valet? And would you know how much it is?

Edited by jandb_bear

We've got a flight for 12:20pm. I'm guessing that should be enough time but our airline is doing renos in Fort Lauderdale and they strongly suggested we arrive 120minutes before departure. We hope to get there before then!

$20 pp and you arrange this through the ship. I believe they will leave you a form early in the cruise where you choose this option. When you leave your bags out the night before debarkation you will not see them again until you get to your home airport.

Edited by sailor05

You will receive info mid way through the cruise, or check with guest services. Not all airlines participate - again check with guest services. You have to sign up ahead of time, can't do it last minute; I believe 48 hours before departure, but not certain.

Excellent service. It is $20 person which usually covers two bags (some people with kids include the kids with their bag so they don't have to pay for the kids). You leave the bags out the night before and they go straight to your home airport. The $20 is in addition to any airline fees which you might have to pay. I am not sure but I think suite guests get this for free.

There are certain time restrictions. Flights have to be after 11:30 out of FLL. Different time for Miami flights.

You will receive info mid way through the cruise, or check with guest services. Not all airlines participate - again check with guest services. You have to sign up ahead of time, can't do it last minute; I believe 48 hours before departure, but not certain.

Excellent service. It is $20 person which usually covers two bags (some people with kids include the kids with their bag so they don't have to pay for the kids). You leave the bags out the night before and they go straight to your home airport. The $20 is in addition to any airline fees which you might have to pay. I am not sure but I think suite guests get this for free.

There are certain time restrictions. Flights have to be after 11:30 out of FLL. Different time for Miami flights.

The $20 sounds worth it especially with little kids. I'm not lucky this time around. My airline is not part of the selected airlines that participates in the luggage valet.

Sounds like I'm going to be stuck.

Thanks for the information! It's great to see the windows from your cruise compass. We appreciate it.

Did you have to go through customs?

Everyone goes through customs upon departure.

We find it fastest when we leave the ship in one of the last groups. By then the luggage garage is almost empty and lines are dwindling. But then cabs might be fewer too.

Don't forget the TSA lines at FLL too.. Those can be really long on peak weekends.

Just out of curiosity, when self-disembarking, do you need to carry your luggage down the stairs or are the elevators available?

If you are talking on board, elevators are available, but you might have a long wait. Everyone is trying to use them. In the terminal you have to have "one hand free" in order to use escalator, otherwise staff will direct you to the elevator.

If you are talking on board, elevators are available, but you might have a long wait. Everyone is trying to use them. In the terminal you have to have "one hand free" in order to use escalator, otherwise staff will direct you to the elevator.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...