Company comparison

travellovers

Where can I find a comparison of companies offering river cruises. I know this can be subjective but would love to hear cc thoughts on why they love or dislike companies. Also, looking for things like.....which is the most upscale.....average age.....food......inclusions....things like that

We usually charter a barge but want to go to Portugal and Spain and can't find a barge so I'm researching river cruise lines.

Thanks

Chartering a barge is a big thing in England. Also, there are companies that offer vacations on luxury barges in France. I am unaware of any in Iberia.

As for the river cruise companies, there are many. You will find reviews under member reviews for them.

The Budget river cruise company that I am aware of is Gate 1 and I know people that have been happy with them. They are very cheap, but the ships tend to be older and with less. Also, the cruises don't offer as much.

There are expensive companies like Avalon and Tauck which tend to be tops, but you pay.

Most of the river cruise lines are in the main stream.

AMA Waterways

Viking

Vantage

Grand Circle

Uniworld

Scenic

There are more. We have done two cruises/trips on Vantage (Russia and China) and one on AMA (Rhone River, France).

We would definately take a cruise on both lines in the future. AMA tends to be more expensive than Vantage.

Vantage's Russia is special in that it offers five star hotels in the city centers of Moscow and STP instead of staying on the riverboat and fighting traffic into the cities.

Vantage's China is wonderful and a good bit cheaper than Viking.

In fact, if you compare the prices Vantage will almost always beat Viking, AMA Uniworld, etc.

However, I believe all the lines will offer you an excellent cruise.

Chartering a barge is a big thing in England.

I imagine you must be thinking of narrow boats, which are popular for holidays on canals in the UK. Barges here are cargo vessels (except for odd historic or ceremonial vessels like the Royal Barge). I don't really know what the OP means when she says they usually hire a barge, but there are certainly canal boats for hire in Portugal. If she Googles, she'll find several links.

In the UK a Narrowboat is 7ft (just over 2mtrs) wide you may see a few of these on european waterways. A wide beam is twice that width these can also be referred to as a barge. These can be hired both in the UK and Europe to self crew look for Dutch Barges on the internet. There are barge holidays available as there are cargo boat holidays the later can be a bit basic and aimed at a younger demographic.

There are hotel narrowboats and wide beam in the UK and The ones I know are excellent but if you think European river cruising cabins are small you will not believe a Narrowboat cabin. (We have a Narrowboat)

Hope you find something.