Mont St Michel from Cherbourg

prish

We will be Cherbourg on June 6, 2017 and are looking to go to Mont St Michel. We are perfectly fine with renting a car and driving but I'm a little wary about parking. Those of you who have done this before (Hank?), how difficult or otherwise is this? Also how far from the parking to actually getting up to MSM?

The other option would be to book a private tour or go with a private guide, have already contacted a couple of tour operators and am waiting for quotes. Any suggestions?

This will be the anniversary of the DDay landings and I'd love to attend the mass at St Mere Eglise. Any idea what time this is, how crowded does it get?

Thanks in advance, will be back with more questions but I know I can count on your patience:)

The last time we were at Mt St Michel, they were still parking along the low-land beach area just outside the city. This was an expansive parking lot that could handle just about anything but had a big problem. When the tide came in, the parking areas flooded! So they would have signs warning that you had to move your car by a specific time (or your car would be under water).

But alas, since our last visit they have moved the parking area (further from the city) and provide a shuttle bus system to get folks to the entrance of the city. From what we have read, the parking lots are between 1/2 and 1 miles from the city.

As to St Mere Eglise, we were there on one of the D-Day Anniversary's and the town was packed. The small church (and it is very small) can certainly not handle the crowds for a mass on that particular day. We have no clue how they handle that situation but that is certainly a question to e-mail your tour provider. As I recall they only had a single mass at 10:30...and then the church was open for the rest of the day as more of a museum. When we were there they actually had a replica of the parachutist hanging from the steeple, The atmosphere in town was akin to a large Carnival.

Hank

But alas, since our last visit they have moved the parking area (further from the city) and provide a shuttle bus system to get folks to the entrance of the city. From what we have read, the parking lots are between 1/2 and 1 miles from the city.

Hank

Yas, that's the way I understand it too.

Apart from being convenient, parking adjacent to MSM added to the entertainment when folks failed to retrieve their cars from low-lying areas.:D

All that's come to an end & now there's parking further away, serviced by a shuttle.

I guess the upside is that the setting isn't spoilt by masses of parked cars & buses :)

JB :)

Oh, I'm sorry they've moved the parking lot! Watching people trying to get to their cars might have been as fun as watching pier runners!

While you are in Ste.-Mere Eglise, be sure to visit the museum. It is outstanding. I've been there twice and will go again the next time I am in Normandy. If you can't get into the church for the mass, be sure to go in afterward...the stained glass is spectacular.

Also just FYI...when I was there two years ago, there were no bureaux de change between Cherbourg and Ouistreham. Get your euros ahead of time!

Thanks a ton for all that info! It's a pity they moved the parking away but guess it makes sense. We're in port 7am to 7pm but will the roads be particularly crowded due to the D Day anniversary? I know it's a good 2+ hours each way to MSM, not sure how early the others will want to leave, so am a little concerned about making it back in time. Any car rental agency you'd recommend, something in the cruise port so that we can get back onboard quickly.

We probably won't get to Ste Marie Mer till late afternoon, but I still want to visit the church, will also check out the museum.

Any other suggestions for the day if we don't go to MSM? Thanks again:)

Edited by prish

Sorry for getting the name wrong, meant Ste Mer Eglise!!!

No you didn't.

You meant Ste Mere-Eglise :p

(but thanks for bringing my attention to the spelling - for decades I've been spelling it Ste Maire-Eglise :o :D)

Thanks a ton for all that info! It's a pity they moved the parking away but guess it makes sense. We're in port 7am to 7pm but will the roads be particularly crowded due to the D Day anniversary? I know it's a good 2+ hours each way to MSM, not sure how early the others will want to leave, so am a little concerned about making it back in time. Any car rental agency you'd recommend, something in the cruise port so that we can get back onboard quickly.

We probably won't get to Ste Marie Mer till late afternoon, but I still want to visit the church, will also check out the museum.

Any other suggestions for the day if we don't go to MSM? Thanks again:)

As I recall, there were multiple rental car companies located in town (Cherbourg) within a 15-30 min walking distance (or a very short taxi ride) of the pier. Hertz and Rent-a-Car are probably the closest and Avis as well as Europcar are not much further. If using Enterprise it might make sense to call or e-mail them and see if they offer free pick-up service (some Enterprise locations do this and others do not).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

No you didn't.

You meant Ste Mere-Eglise :p

(but thanks for bringing my attention to the spelling - for decades I've been spelling it Ste Maire-Eglise :o :D)

My apologies again John, Ste Mere-Eglise:D

As I recall, there were multiple rental car companies located in town (Cherbourg) within a 15-30 min walking distance (or a very short taxi ride) of the pier. Hertz and Rent-a-Car are probably the closest and Avis as well as Europcar are not much further. If using Enterprise it might make sense to call or e-mail them and see if they offer free pick-up service (some Enterprise locations do this and others do not).

Hank

Thanks Hank. Will be contacting Rentacar at le Havre for a car so will ask if they can recommend an agency for Cherbourg. Though I fear DH will balk at the driving time to and from MSM, my brother too. So maybe we'll just explore the peninsula, stop at Ste Mere-Eglise (got it right this time!) and generally have a leisurely day. Thanks for the tips:)

Edited by prish

My apologies again John, Ste Mere-Eglise:D

Thanks Hank. Will be contacting Rentacar at le Havre for a car so will ask if they can recommend an agency for Cherbourg. Though I fear DH will balk at the driving time to and from MSM, my brother too. So maybe we'll just explore the peninsula, stop at Ste Mere-Eglise (got it right this time!) and generally have a leisurely day. Thanks for the tips:)

Don't pay JB any attention when it comes to spelling. That guy cannot even spell the word "color" which he would insist is coulour! Go figure. :) He would also tell you that the "New Forest" is very old. No credibility whatsoever :)

Hank

Don't pay JB any attention when it comes to spelling. That guy cannot even spell the word "color" which he would insist is coulour! Go figure. :) He would also tell you that the "New Forest" is very old. No credibility whatsoever :)

Hank

Hank's been at the Guinness again :p

It's spelt colour, Hank.

The French spell it couleur. just to annoy Brits.

Americans can't spell, so call it color.

New and old are relative terms, Hank.

That Forest was created only about 1,000 years ago, so Old Forest would be a misleading name. New Forest is an appropriate name for such a recently-planted forest.

Much less appropriately-named are the "historic" :rolleyes: areas of US cities like Sacramento, Virginia City, Deadwood, all of which are only 150 years old.

We're heading to the US again next week, for another missionary road trip.

The purpose was to preach to motel-keepers about the true meaning of "breakfast" and to enlighten the natives about driving on the correct side of the road.

Now it seems we're going to have to add spelling and history to our missionary work. :D

• 1 month later...

Can someone provide information on tour companies that will go from Cherbourg to Mont St Michel? I having trouble finding any. Will be in Cherbourg for one day next May. My husband wants very badly to go to Mont St Michel but we really don't want to drive there on our own.

Thanks!

We also are looking for suggestions for private tours to Mont St Michel also for May next year. We are a group of 6 and car hire is quite expensive for a 6 seater. Also wondering if staying in Cherbourg for the day is an option here or would the 2 hour trip to Mont St Michel be worth it?