Vancouver - Can we carry on our luggage instead of giving to Porters?

southwestgal

Hi Everyone,

Our next cruise departs from Vancouver. We haven't started a cruise in this port for many years so wanted to ask a question about embarkation.

We have really downsized our packing a (still working on downsizing even more) and the last time we left from San Pedro we tried bringing our bags onboard ourselves instead of checking them. We each have a 24" rolling suitcase and a small backpack. The bags are too large to carry on the plane, but easily carried by us up and down stairs - they rarely weigh more than 35lbs. We brought them onboard ourselves in San Pedro and they fit through the scanners just fine. It was really nice bringing them on and being able to immediately unpack.

We have done the self-disembarkation for many, many years now and are used to carrying our bags ourselves so we don't hold anybody up and we always have a free hand for the escalator.

Does Vancouver work the same way as San Pedro? If the bags fit through the scanner are we able to bring them onboard ourselves? Or do we need to leave them with one of the Porters? I don't want to bring them inside, get in line, and then find out we have to go back outside and check them. So hoping that someone with experience can give us a heads up.

I know that a lot of you will probably chastise us for carrying them ourselves. But we are still young (at least in our minds), very mobile, and as long as we are still able we will continue to keep the bags with us. It was really nice to bring them right to the room, get the unpacking done and then have the rest of the embarkation day to relax without wondering if the bags got on. :)

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Our next cruise departs from Vancouver. We haven't started a cruise in this port for many years so wanted to ask a question about embarkation.

We have really downsized our packing a (still working on downsizing even more) and the last time we left from San Pedro we tried bringing our bags onboard ourselves instead of checking them. We each have a 24" rolling suitcase and a small backpack. The bags are too large to carry on the plane, but easily carried by us up and down stairs - they rarely weigh more than 35lbs. We brought them onboard ourselves in San Pedro and they fit through the scanners just fine. It was really nice bringing them on and being able to immediately unpack.

We have done the self-disembarkation for many, many years now and are used to carrying our bags ourselves so we don't hold anybody up and we always have a free hand for the escalator.

Does Vancouver work the same way as San Pedro? If the bags fit through the scanner are we able to bring them onboard ourselves? Or do we need to leave them with one of the Porters? I don't want to bring them inside, get in line, and then find out we have to go back outside and check them. So hoping that someone with experience can give us a heads up.

I know that a lot of you will probably chastise us for carrying them ourselves. But we are still young (at least in our minds), very mobile, and as long as we are still able we will continue to keep the bags with us. It was really nice to bring them right to the room, get the unpacking done and then have the rest of the embarkation day to relax without wondering if the bags got on. :)

Thanks!

In Vancouver, you clear US customs at the port. Depending on the set up, you check in with cruise line, go through port security, then go through US customs, and on to the ship. Depending on the day, the terminal can be a zoo, but you could bring them through. It would be easier to check them though with the porter.

I think you'll be OK with the scanners if the cases are same proportions as 22" carryons - there's plenty of space on for another couple of inches width/depth from what I recall. As mentioned, with the hassle of schlepping your bags through CBP as well as Security and Check-in you may want to reconsider - especially since there are no Porters involved but fully unionized and well-paid Longshoremen.

If you want to minimise any risk of your bags getting lost, you can literally walk right up to the guy running the conveyor and hand the bag to him (there's a different conveyor for each side of Canada Place, so at that point it cannot possibly end up on the wrong ship!) Also, just in case thriftiness is a factor - tips are neither required nor expected. In fact there are signs up specifically saying you do NOT need to tip!

Does Vancouver work the same way as San Pedro? If the bags fit through the scanner are we able to bring them onboard ourselves? Or do we need to leave them with one of the Porters? I don't want to bring them inside, get in line, and then find out we have to go back outside and check them.
Thoughts...

• never thought of calling them "porters". Checked luggage is taken at the taxi drop into a cart to be dropped onto conveyor belt in 15 seconds. Not worth tipping when I see my luggage slammed on the belt.
  • you then go inside for a security screening line with your carry on. Please don't try tipping the staff or customs officers.

I would check them in with the porters because they might not fit through the security scanners.

The scanners are used before you get to the area where USA customs is located.

I would also highly recommend posting all your questions about Vancouver on the Canada (Alsaka/Pacitfic Coastal) Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=39

We boarded in Vancouver in May and to me the width of the scanner was a typical width.

What you could do is look at the scanners and if they work great. If not you could just hand the luggage over to a porter.

Keith

Can confirm the no tipping policy. Vancouver is the only place where a tip has been refused.

On our last cruise out of Vancouver in 2015, we were hassled by the person taking our luggage for a tip. He said repeatedly, this is the last time you will ever see me with his hand held out!! We were appalled and even though we would usually tip we did not because of his behaviour. We were terrified our luggage wouldn't arrive and were relieved when it did without incident. We have cruised out of Vancouver three times and that was he only time that ever happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I assume you are talking about the staff taking luggage out of the cab, may load it onto a small cart and then dropped on a conveyor belt.

Thoughts....

• There is nothing to stop you for tipping the baggage handlers at the cruise terminal.
  • Vancouver is a very expensive city to live in.
  • how much do you think is fair for someone who spends less than 5 seconds with your luggage? Does anyone know if those tips get shared with other staff behind the conveyor belt?
  • if you are walking your luggage into the cruise terminal.... your luggage is handled for less than 1 second onto a conveyor belt.
  • my luggage gets the most damage when cruising.
  • please support your local union

Perhaps one person I may tip generously..... the taxi driver who will ask you whether to get into the cruise terminal line at the peak noon drop off vs dropping you off at a nearby hotel and let you drag your luggage the final 150 feet. I hate getting caught in that lunch hour 10 to 15 minute cab line while watching the meter continually tick away.

• 2 weeks later...
I think you'll be OK with the scanners if the cases are same proportions as 22" carryons - there's plenty of space on for another couple of inches width/depth from what I recall. As mentioned, with the hassle of schlepping your bags through CBP as well as Security and Check-in you may want to reconsider - especially since there are no Porters involved but fully unionized and well-paid Longshoremen.

If you want to minimise any risk of your bags getting lost, you can literally walk right up to the guy running the conveyor and hand the bag to him (there's a different conveyor for each side of Canada Place, so at that point it cannot possibly end up on the wrong ship!) Also, just in case thriftiness is a factor - tips are neither required nor expected. In fact there are signs up specifically saying you do NOT need to tip!

I agree that is just as easy to take it to the conveyor belt and put your luggage on. You may have to walk 100 feet down, depending where you get off. Some of the people hanging around trying to take your bags are not connected to the port or cruise lines. Be careful if you give your bags to one of these people ( mainly homeless) and make sure you se that your luggage gets put on the conveyor belt. Seattle has the same set up of conveyor belts, but most people give their luggage to the Porters (Longshorman that make $800+ for the day in pay). The converor belts in Seattle are further in the terminal and hard to find.