What is within walking distance of port?

Ramjet1997

Hi all -

We are doing the 13 night Hawaii cruise on Rhapsody in early May. The Rhapsody will be in port for the first 2 days - May 3 & 4. This is our first trip to Honolulu. What is within walking distance of the port that we can visit? On the 2nd day we are doing Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri tour in the morning, but we will have some time when we board on the first day.....also, we don't depart the 2nd day until late (10 PM).......any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks!

Also, does anyone know when the muster drill is? What if you are off the ship sightseeing when the drill takes place? Or, does the drill take place on the

2nd day right before it departs? Thanks!

It depends on whether you dock next to the Aloha Tower:D, where you have relatively easy access to shopping, the Iolani Palace and other historical landmarks, and buses---or---whether you're at Pier 2:mad:, where, unless you're in great shape you're at the mercy of taxis or buses to Hilo Hatties. As you can tell, I don't like Pier 2 at all. As a friend of mine would say, "It has a lot of class, and all of it third."

According to the current Honolulu Harbor schedule, the Rhapsody is scheduled to dock at Aloha Tower (pier 11) for May 3/4. If you want to stay near the cruise port, you could walk to Iolani Palace (might be other museums of importance to Hawaii nearby), maybe go to China Town area (recommend Little Village Noodle House, or places near the Chinese Cultural Center for dim sum or lunch), and even walk to Foster Botanical Garden. This would be approximately 2 mile walk round trip.

And/or you might be able to catch a free shopping shuttle or the local bus (or worse case, a taxi) to Ala Moana shopping center, and then continue eastward to Waikiki area. Spend some time along the beach, do some light shopping, etc. Then just catch a bus/taxi or possibly free shuttle back to Aloha Tower area and the ship.

You will see these tourist magazines at every port.

http://www.spotlighthawaii.com

There are many bits of information for events of the week. There are walking tours of Chinatown and the Financial District. And lots of coupons!

If you are in town on a Friday, The Royal Hawaiian Municipal Band plays at Iolani Palace at noon (free). They also perform at Ala Moana Center on Wednesdays and sometimes at Kapiolani Park on Sundays.

If you make arrangements ahead of time, you might be able to get a tour of the State Capitol. Call the Sargent of Arms office.

The Mission Houses, Honolulu Hale (City Hall), Kawaiahao Church are all within walking distance of Aloha Towers if you are visiting the Palace.

Find a way to get to Ala Moana Beach Park. A really safe, calm, reefed beach. Or walk along Kaka'ako Waterfront Park.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kakaako-waterfront-park-honolulu

Take a bus ride up the Pali Highway/Nu'uanu Dowsett. It won't take you to the Pali Lookout, but you will see some old houses, Queen Emma Summer Home, scenes from Hawaii 5-0 and The Descendants.

It all depends how adventurous you would like to be and how much time you have on your hands.

http://schedule-bus.com/bus-honolulu/159/4

• 2 weeks later...

Can you please give me the link to the Honolulu schedule. I am having a hard time finding it. I want to ck if the Solstice will be in Pier 2 on Sept 2014

Edited by MoyCoy

Can you please give me the link to the Honolulu schedule. I am having a hard time finding it. I want to ck if the Solstice will be in Pier 2 on Sept 2014

According to the CURRENT schedule from the below link, the Solstice is slated to be at Pier 2 on Sept 29th/30th.

Note - this link shows all Hawaii ports. Just click on the port in question to get the most current schedule (the recent update for Honolulu is dated March 7th). And yes, this schedule is always subject to change.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/passenger-cruise-schedules/

According to the CURRENT schedule from the below link, the Solstice is slated to be at Pier 2 on Sept 29th/30th.

Note - this link shows all Hawaii ports. Just click on the port in question to get the most current schedule (the recent update for Honolulu is dated March 7th). And yes, this schedule is always subject to change.

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/passenger-cruise-schedules/

Thank you! I am sad that we are docking at Pier 2. I read on Alhoa Tower web site that they offer free transportation from Pier 2. Anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by MoyCoy

Thank you! I am sad that we are docking at Pier 2. I read on Alhoa Tower web site that they offer free transportation from Pier 2. Anyone have any experience with this?

Just came back yesterday from Hawaii. We docked at Aloha Tower during our stay in Honolulu. Regrettably, most of the stores have closed down. A few vendors still remains but it is pretty much a ghost town. Two restaurants remain open.......Hooters and Gordon Biersch.

Both ports (Aloha Tower and Pier 2) can both be described as big warehouses...nothing but an empty space inside. We docked at Pier 2 on our previous cruises to Hawaii. Both locations will offer plenty of taxis, and free shuttles to Maui Divers, Walmart, and Hilo Hattie.

If you prefer to DIY, local buses are only a short walk away from each location and cost only $2.50/person/one-way, including a free transfer. (If you have a Medicare card...it is only $1 to ride the bus.) Note: The bus system called appropriately "The Bus"...is a great way to get around. There is a bus route to just about anywhere you'd like to go......just make sure you have the correct change.) Aloha and happy sailing! :)