Hummus

EmmasNana

If it is liquid, or similar type items, it has to meet the 3.3oz rule to go thru security. So buy those things after security.

Something solid, like a sandwich, could be bought outside of security. I am no sure on the true consistency of the hummus you are referring to, but the above is the standard policy.

ISTR some semi-official Australian guidance along the lines of "If you can pour it, spray it or smear it, it's a liquid" (technically, a liquid, aerosol or gel).

So I'd be prepared to lose the houmous at security, and to consider it a bonus if I don't.

Okay, well there are some that are 2 oz. size that come with pretzel crackers. I may just try that.

That's a good size. It does have to go into your 3-1-1 bag.

Hummus is more liquidy than peanut butter. Gal in front of us had to toss her Skippy because it was too big,

I just went through Miami security with an open jar of Peter Pan Peanut butter, the "small" size but still way more than 3 oz. I had it in a backpack and was expecting to loose it. But it was not questioned and I had it with my box of crackers for my extended wait. :) Earlier, I was questioned at the cruise security and had to step aside while they consulted with a supervisor about allowing me to take an open jar on board.

I often bring a single serving size of sealed hummus along with lots of cut up veggies. I put the hummus in my zip-lock. I have never been questioned about it. I'm not sure of the quantity, I buy them at Costco, but I'm sure it's less than the 3 oz allowed.

I know that people can bring sandwiches or other food items through security and on the plane. If I have a sealed tub of hummus, will this be an issue going through security?

Basically, if it pours, jiggles or doesn't hold its shape when removed from the container and is larger than 3.4oz (100ml) or is smaller but doesn't fit in your 3-1-1 bag, it is considered a prohibited item.

Edited by ghulett

I know that people can bring sandwiches or other food items through security and on the plane. If I have a sealed tub of hummus, will this be an issue going through security?

I looked on the TSA website and got to the answer in 2 mouse clicks:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/traveling-food-or-gifts

They also have a look-up tool, entering "hummus" gives the same result:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Google is your friend and takes you straight to the source. :)

I looked on the TSA website and got to the answer in 2 mouse clicks:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/traveling-food-or-gifts

They also have a look-up tool, entering "hummus" gives the same result:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Google is your friend and takes you straight to the source. :)

You can also get a hungry TSA clerk who will tell you "the website is out of date" or "this is a rule for our airport", etc. Just like when the "cupcake in a glass jar" was confiscated because it has too much icing and was considered a "liquid" :roll eyes: Play it safe - if you get those hummus& pretzel packages at the store, take the pretzel part off, store those separately, and put the hummus packs in the 3-1-1 bag.

You can also get a hungry TSA clerk who will tell you "the website is out of date" or "this is a rule for our airport", etc. Just like when the "cupcake in a glass jar" was confiscated because it has too much icing and was considered a "liquid" :roll eyes:

If I were a TSA agent, I don't think I'd eat an unsealed/ homemade food item I got from a random person! :eek:

If I were a TSA agent, I don't think I'd eat an unsealed/ homemade food item I got from a random person! :eek:

Now kenish, I read on the Internet that TSA agents are regularly confiscating food to feed themselves. And the Internet is always right!!:D;)

Now kenish, I read on the Internet that TSA agents are regularly confiscating food to feed themselves. And the Internet is always right!!:D;)

A year or so ago, a guy in front of me at a checkpoint was required to surrender his half used tube of toothpaste. He demanded to see the TSA officer physically put it in the trashcan because he thought they would take it home and use it. YUCK!

Edited by ghulett