Yellow fever requirements for panama cruise

highlands1234

So looking at booking a westbound panama canal cruise. So we stop in Cartagena Colombia before arriving in Costa Rica. Since costa rica requires a yellow fever vaccine if coming from a yellow fever zone (which Colombia and Cartagena are in if you look at the CDC map below) we would be required to get a yellow fever vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/maps/south_america.html

But then I found this website from the Costa Rican embassy that really confuses things.

http://www.costarica-embassy.org/index.php?q=node/97

So not sure if its required or not, and also not sure if the cruise line will let me on without proof of yellow fever vaccine or not. From recent past experiences I am hesitant to book without knowing, since the cruise line doesnt always make it clear if you need the vaccine to board before you book. FYI, this would be a Celebrity cruise.

Would love to hear from anyone that has recently done a celebrity full transit westbound panama canal cruise and what celebrity required to board.

Thanks!

Edited by highlands1234

No yellow fever shot required for a Canal cruise. Discussed here frequently.

Only the deepest jungle is a yellow fever zone. Cartagena is not in the deep jungle. Have been there several times.

Have done 2 full transits and one partial, with one full transit booked for next October. 3 stops total in Cartagena. I do not have a yellow fever shot.

CruiserBruce,

Did you sail on the same cruise line or different cruse lines? I only ask because I just recently got out of a Cunard cruise that was going up the Amazon (the deep jungle as you say). Now CDC recommended the yellow fever vaccine for the amazon but it was not required by any international organization nor was it required by Brazil. I was then disembarking at Rio and flying back to the States. Cunards own cruise planner after booking did not mention any vaccination requirements either. But then received an email a week before embarking that Cunard was requiring it. So thats why I am a little paranoid booking with Celebrity, then arriving at the port to find out they wont let me on.

Ironically they have more justification for denying me on a panama canal cruise then the brazil cruise since I would be coming from a yellow fever zone (colombia) on this cruise before going to costa rica, whereas the amazon cruise was just barbados then brazil (barbados first though) so they had no cause to deny boarding then.

Sorry for the long post just there is alot of inconsistency it seems regarding this sometimes.

Also just noticed that panama(stopping in colon after cartagena) has the same yellow fever vaccine requirement if coming from a yellow fever zone (colombia)

Edited by highlands1234

Hard to tell from the CDC map I linked above, but I guess Cartagena is part of the "Generally not recommended" category from the CDC, so as far as Panama and Costa Rica are concerned they dont see you coming from a yellow fever zone?

Yellow Fever

Requirements: None

Recommendations: Recommended for all travelers ≥9 months of age except as mentioned below. Generally not recommended for travelers to the cities of Barranquilla, Cali, Cartagena, and Medellín (see Map 3-24). Not recommended for travelers whose itineraries are limited to all areas >2,300 m (7,546 ft) in elevation, the department of San Andrès y Providencia, and the capital city of Bogotá.

Malaria

Areas with malaria: All areas at altitudes ≤1,700 m (5,577 ft). None in Bogotá, Cartagena, and Medellin. (See Map 3-25).

Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Low.

Drug resistance4: Chloroquine.

Malaria species: P. falciparum 50%, P. vivax 50%.

Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine.

Edited by highlands1234

We have been through the Canal on Holland America and RCI, with a Holland America Canal cruise booked. But a government regulation isn't just applied to one cruise line.

The issue seems to be the Costa Rican (and Eucador has a similar law)government enforcing the requirement. We have done several cruises (to South America) where there was a perceived Yellow Fever inoculation requirement, (and received cruise line notification that a vaccination would be required- although later retracted). And we have not been inoculated.

If Celebrity doesn't tell you when you book you need it (and I am 99% sure they wouldn't require it), then you don't need it.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We are just finishing a 2 week Caribbean cruise that stopped at in Santa Marta & Cartagena, Columbia and Colon, Panama before going to Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. We received an e-mail from the cruise line that would not need the Yellow fever vaccine before we left for this cruise (waiver for cruise passengers). The cruise line let us onboard January 5th & we were able to go ashore in Costa Rica on January 14th (after the Columbia & Panama ports). We will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on January 19th.

Seems to me that Celebrity should make themselves clear about whether you need this vaccine before boarding rather than leave you guessing or deny you boarding when you show up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums