Questions from an NCL Newbie

I've booked my first NCL cruise! October. NCL Jade. Adriatic. Can't wait!

I've cruised on Princess and am platinum on Carnival so the whole cruising experience is very familiar, but not the NCL experience. I've completed my online check-in. What else do I need to know? I'm sure this has been asked and answer many times, but the CC search function leaves much to be desired. I'm exploring the NCL site, but want to make sure I"m covering everything.

Some specific questions:

It appears (from the NCL website) I don't need to get visas (embark and debark in Italy and visiting Turkey, Croatia, and Greece). I'l check further on that, but would love confirmation if you've sailed this itinerary.

Is the UDP a good idea? It looks like a great deal to me, but want to make sure before I buy it. I figure I'll want to try out several of the specialty restaurants so that seems to be the way to go. Your thoughts?

I'll be cruising solo and have no problem eating alone but saw a video of Teppanyaki and it appears all the tables are group seating. Any other specialty restaurants that have group seating?

How does debarking at ports work? I'm assuming Haven passengers go first and then what?

Do you typically tip above and beyond the DSC? If so, is it customary to adjust the DSC or tip in cash or just a personal decision?

Are there events that are not to be missed? We usually play bingo and wine tasting or martini tasting or something like that would also appeal. Anything else you'd suggest I watch for?

On the final day, my flight leaves just after 1:00 p.m. The online check-in didn't request my flight information. Should I visit Guest Services to let them know my flight time? I assume they give earlier debark times for earlier flights...

I'm thinking that's enough for now! Thanks in advance! :o:o:o

The UDP is a good idea, IMO, only if you are going to eat at specialty restaurants every single night. I find there are always nights when we're not really hungry, or just want to grab something quick, so it would never be worth it to me (now, the UBP, on the other hand...).

Teppanyaki is the only group seating specialty restaurant, I believe.

It is really, really encouraged to leave the DSC in place - with freestyle, you do not have the typical cash tipping set-up. We always tipped extra for specialty, and for bartenders. You certainly do not have to.

A big thumbs up to the martini tasting!

The UDP is a good idea, IMO, only if you are going to eat at specialty restaurants every single night. I find there are always nights when we're not really hungry, or just want to grab something quick, so it would never be worth it to me (now, the UBP, on the other hand...).

Teppanyaki is the only group seating specialty restaurant, I believe.

It is really, really encouraged to leave the DSC in place - with freestyle, you do not have the typical cash tipping set-up. We always tipped extra for specialty, and for bartenders. You certainly do not have to.

A big thumbs up to the martini tasting!

Thanks for your help! I'll have to do a search to figure out what UBP is. :) I'm guessing the B is for beverage...?

I don't want to start a tipping debate so want to clarify that I have no intention of removing the DSC. I was simply asking if people usually tip above that and if they do want to tip more do they adjust the DSC or tip in cash.

We usually eat in Carnival's one specialty restaurant a couple nights in a 7-night cruise, so I suspect I could do that every evening with so many choices. I'm a bit of a foodie so love trying new restaurants and having never cruised NCL, they're all new to me. :o On this itinerary, there's only one day we're in port later than 6:00 p.m. so I expect to eat on the ship at least six of the seven evenings so it may be worth it buy UDP. Looking forward to hearing from those who've tried it.

Thanks again!

I've never heard of adjusting the DSC up, but I guess it's possible. I've left extra for my cabin steward (cash in an envelope, clearly marked, at the end of the cruise. I've seen others write about leaving a tip for the cabin steward at the beginning of the cruise to "ensure" good service. It's not a philosophy to which I subscribe, but to each his/her own.

I know that at the MDR's, you can ask to be seated with others, if that is your preference. Not sure about the specialty restaurants.

You sort of select your own departure time from the ship by selecting a color luggage tag for your departure, so they know which luggage to set out first. But, if you want early departure, be sure to snag your luggage tag early, or you might be stuck with a departure later than you'd like.

Enjoy your trip!

--Michael

I've never heard of adjusting the DSC up, but I guess it's possible. I've left extra for my cabin steward (cash in an envelope, clearly marked, at the end of the cruise. I've seen others write about leaving a tip for the cabin steward at the beginning of the cruise to "ensure" good service. It's not a philosophy to which I subscribe, but to each his/her own.

I know that at the MDR's, you can ask to be seated with others, if that is your preference. Not sure about the specialty restaurants.

You sort of select your own departure time from the ship by selecting a color luggage tag for your departure, so they know which luggage to set out first. But, if you want early departure, be sure to snag your luggage tag early, or you might be stuck with a departure later than you'd like.

Enjoy your trip!

--Michael

Thanks so much. I'll plan to tip in cash if I want to tip more then. I appreciate the information. Like you, I don't tip in advance--seems more like a bribe to me and, personally, I'd be insulted if someone felt they needed to bribe me to do my job.

I actually don't want to be seated with others--I'm looking forward to the solitude of a solo vacation--but was curious as to whether there was group seating in any other restaurants. :o

So, from your comments about the luggage tags I infer there's a place I go and self-select my luggage tags and that they're not delivered to my cabin. Does NCL allow you to carry off your own luggage? DD and I traveled through Europe for five weeks last year with only carry-on luggage and I'm planning to do try to do only carry-on again (believe me, that was a huge deal for me as I tend to be an over-packer!). I'd like to be able to just walk off with it instead of claiming it with the masses if that's possible.

TIA

Yes, you can self debark on NCL, no problems.

Not in Venice, there everyone must surrend their large luggage on the previous night before disembarkation. If one only has carry-on sized luggage, then it will not be a problem.

Edited by Demonyte

Yes, you can self debark on NCL, no problems.

Perfect! Thanks!

Not in Venice, there everyone must surrend their large luggage on the previous night before disembarkation. If one only has carry-on sized luggage, then it will not be a problem.

That's exactly what we're talking about--I'll have only carry-on-sized luggage.

I actually don't want to be seated with others--I'm looking forward to the solitude of a solo vacation--but was curious as to whether there was group seating in any other restaurants. :o

NCL's dining rooms have a lot of two person tables so you'll have no problem sitting by yourself. In the main dining room aft they are generally by the windows; my wife and I love to catch an early dinner at the aft windows watching the wake as we pull away from port. I think we have been asked a couple of times if we wanted to sit with others at a larger table, but it was never a problem if we wanted to wait.

So, from your comments about the luggage tags I infer there's a place I go and self-select my luggage tags and that they're not delivered to my cabin. Does NCL allow you to carry off your own luggage? DD and I traveled through Europe for five weeks last year with only carry-on luggage and I'm planning to do try to do only carry-on again (believe me, that was a huge deal for me as I tend to be an over-packer!). I'd like to be able to just walk off with it instead of claiming it with the masses if that's possible.

TIA

You can have the early colored tags delivered to your stateroom by your steward, or you can go to the purser's desk where they will have them available. If you're doing only carry on you don't need to worry about them, as you simply walk off with your luggage.

NCL's dining rooms have a lot of two person tables so you'll have no problem sitting by yourself. In the main dining room aft they are generally by the windows; my wife and I love to catch an early dinner at the aft windows watching the wake as we pull away from port. I think we have been asked a couple of times if we wanted to sit with others at a larger table, but it was never a problem if we wanted to wait.

You can have the early colored tags delivered to your stateroom by your steward, or you can go to the purser's desk where they will have them available. If you're doing only carry on you don't need to worry about them, as you simply walk off with your luggage.

Thank you very much for the information. It's so odd to be planning a cruise on an unfamiliar line. You don't think about those small things until someone makes a passing comment. :o