FLight question

pmgr1978

I am trying to get the wife to figure out what she wants to so for our flight into Miami in Nov.(Majesty cruise to Bahamas) Do we save alittle money (80-100) dollers per person by flying later on Sunday (10 or 11 am), which includes 1 layover in Chicago or do we just fly non-stop at 6am into Miami. For what its worth, we don't fly that much, it might be stressful trying to find the gate at Ohare.

Thanks for any advise---

You answered your own question. :) Flying the day of the cruise is always high-risk, but especially out of northern airports in winter. What's more stressful:

- Getting off the first flight, looking at the monitor, going to that gate, then boarding the plane to Florida. (Hopefully with enough layover time to buffer the first flight being late, having an unhurried transfer between gates, and grabbing a bite to eat).

- Wondering if your nonstop will be delayed or cancelled, and whether you will make it to the ship on time since there will be hundreds or even thousands of other passengers competing for rebooking, if the airport is open at all.

Since you're occasional flyers and fare-conscious (no problem with either), you will be low on the priority list for rebooking if there's weather problems. Of course the connecting flights could be similarly affected but you have far more time to recover.

Neither of these options. It's easy to find your connection at ORD, but you are asking for problems flying in the same day and having a connection.

Fly in the day before and save yourself lots of stress. Maybe you can find a nonstop that doesn't leave so early in the morning.

Where are you all reading in his post that they are flying in the day of the cruise departure? For the life of me I can't see that in his post. Every single reply above assumes that. Remember what assume stands for :D. Plus, the Majesty doesn't seem to depart on Sundays anyway (seems to depart on Monday and Friday). So it appears they are ALREADY planning on arriving a day before the cruise starts.

If it were me, I would save the money and make the connection. Plus, with the connection, you don't need to be at the airport so early for the 6am departure that is non-stop.

Where are you all reading in his post that they are flying in the day of the cruise departure? For the life of me I can't see that in his post. Every single reply above assumes that. Remember what assume stands for :D. Plus, the Majesty doesn't seem to depart on Sundays anyway (seems to depart on Monday and Friday). So it appears they are ALREADY planning on arriving a day before the cruise starts.

If it were me, I would save the money and make the connection. Plus, with the connection, you don't need to be at the airport so early for the 6am departure that is non-stop.

If that is the case we have just reinforced the idea that flying in a day early is a good idea regardless of flight times.

I recently helped a colleague book her Miami flight for her cruise ... she had 2 options: one via JFK, and one non-stop that is $236 more (for 2 ppl) and would arrive in Miami over 8 hours earlier than the one via JFK.

No brainer, she chose the non-stop one - she wants to start her vacation when she lands in MIA at 10:30am rather than saving $236 to spend all day flying and waiting at JFK for some hours and getting into MIA at 9pm.

OP - take the non-stop one - 2 or 3 days before cruise. Go on the Fri or Sat.

The OP did not make that clear in their post, and I failed to research when their cruise departed. My apologies.

True that the OP didn't make it clear in their post. But ALL replies through #7 jump on the OP about "fly in the day before" rather than answering the OP's question. Why not just answer the OP's question? I find that quite sad, but I have come to realize that is the way it is on the Cruise Air forum.

Archived