Rio...is it safe

bostonfred

Going in February on celebrity for carnival...very concerned about stories out of olympics about crime and violence...apprehensive now about excursions,particulary at night....am I overreacting ?

It's Carnaval (car-nah-VAHL) btw.

S-T-O-R-I-E-S. Some of which seem to be turning out to be untrue.

Overreacting? Yeah. But maybe not if you lead a particularly sheltered life of privilege at home.

You need to be vigilant, not paranoid. Situational awareness. Crime is opportunistic. Don't give 'em the opportunity.

Avoid getting too drunk or exhausted or distracted to do the above. (responsible for many incidents you read about)

If you get into thick Carnaval crowds (like at one of the blocos), make sure your belongings are secured against pickpockets.

At night you take a taxi. They're cheap. And they're everywhere.

Most of the major sights can be gotten to by taxi. IMO the worst way to experience the city would be on a big bus full of other clueless foreign tourists, or in Sector 9 of the Sambodromo with more of them..

If I can help with any other issues/questions (based on my 20 ---SAFE--- years of regular long term visits to Brazil), please post.

You're not overacting! It is a concern. :o

If it makes you constantly worried, looking over your shoulder in fear, and thereby ruins your trip, it is overreacting.

The US divers may have been ......over-acting. ;-0

The percentage of foreign tourists who personally experience an incident is minuscule.

And....

If the name BostonFred indicates where the OP is from, can he really go to a sporting (or other) event there without "concern" these days?

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Good question. You know Rio put 85,000 police and soldiers out to secure the Olympic games, and Ryan Lochte and 3 buddies got robbed in a taxi by armed criminals impersonating policemen! Not much you can do about that situation.

What you CAN do is not fabricate stories that scare people.

If you are watching the latest news, it seems this whole thing might have been a story made up to avoid trouble from staying out late and getting drunk.

There is athlete's village surveilance video being shown of them all coming in at about 6 am looking completely unshaken, which seems odd if they'd just been in a life threatening situation.

And their stories (of the ones that have not yet fled the scene) are apparently becoming more and more divergent from the original. One, who was supposed to be on a certain flight home, did not show up and has apparently gone underground.

It's also odd that they retained their cell phones and credit cards, which it would have been inconvenient to replace. (Brazil is a country where a locked phone can easily and quickly be hacked and sold.)

Moral: Don't believe everything you read about Brazil.

Its as safe as some parts of America.

Seems like maybe that US swimmer might have embellished the story? Three US athletes have been taken off their flight and detained.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3746324/U-S-Olympic-swimmers-Gunnar-Bentz-Jack-Conger-REMOVED-flight-Brazilian-authorities-following-Ryan-Lochte-s-claim-robbed-gunpoint.html

What you CAN do is not fabricate stories that scare people.

If you are watching the latest news, it seems this whole thing might have been a story made up to avoid trouble from staying out late and getting drunk.

There is athlete's village surveilance video being shown of them all coming in at about 6 am looking completely unshaken, which seems odd if they'd just been in a life threatening situation.

And their stories (of the ones that have not yet fled the scene) are apparently becoming more and more divergent from the original. One, who was supposed to be on a certain flight home, did not show up and has apparently gone underground.

It's also odd that they retained their cell phones and credit cards, which it would have been inconvenient to replace. (Brazil is a country where a locked phone can easily and quickly be hacked and sold.)

Moral: Don't believe everything you read about Brazil.

Thanks for labeling me a liar -- that made my day! I fabricated nothing. My source was an AP article by Stephen Wilson which appeared in my local newspaper on Monday, August 15, 2016. I have no obligation nor motivation to follow up on the story -- I am not the one going to Rio.

And as for your impugning my motives -- thanks for that as well! I was not trying to "scare" anyone -- just to pass on a published news story pertinent to the OP's question.

"Moral: Don't believe everything you read about Brazil."

So what news should one believe about Brazil? Only the good news?

Here's the latest media coverage:

http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/lochte-3-us-swimmers-lied-about-robbery-in-rio-report/

It seems the athletes were drunk and got into a brawl, and fabricated a story to try to stay out of trouble.

It almost worked because people like some of those here are quick to jump to the worst conclusions about Brazil when they know little or nothing, happy to spread malicious gossip dressed up in sensationalized reportage.

Don't be so quick to assume the worst about Brazil.

Rio is indeed the Marvelous City.

So what news should one believe about Brazil? Only the good news?

What news would you believe about a country where classrooms of 6 year olds are murdered at school, there are riots in the streets because of corrupt police, individuals get away with murdering anyone they think suspicious, it isn’t safe to go to a sporting event as a spectator for fear of bombs, movie theaters are not safe, joggers get raped and murdered, just one major city has 45 fatal shootings just in July of this year……

(Oooh, that is the US btw. Surprise, surprise.)

Thanks for labeling me a liar -- that made my day! I fabricated nothing.

I was talking about the athletes (fabricating the story). but I think if someone is so oversensitive, the accusation may have hit a nerve.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Here's the latest media coverage:

http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/lochte-3-us-swimmers-lied-about-robbery-in-rio-report/

It seems the athletes were drunk and got into a brawl, and fabricated a story to try to stay out of trouble.

It almost worked because people like some of those here are quick to jump to the worst conclusions about Brazil when they know little or nothing, happy to spread malicious gossip dressed up in sensationalized reportage.

Don't be so quick to assume the worst about Brazil.

Rio is indeed the Marvelous City.

Lots more "twists and turns" have happened in the Ryan Lochte story. What's true? What's stupid? Very tangled and confused!! Sad for all involved. We'll all hope for the best as "things" get sorted and figured out. Clearly, we do not know, yet, exactly what did or did not happen.

We do look forward at a future point to visiting Rio. As noted below in my live/blog, we enjoyed the various stops in various cities and towns along the Amazon River. This included three days in Manaus, a large city in that amazing scenic and dramatic area. I felt safe in Manaus, but was careful, in doing a variety of walking around and exploring there with my camera equipment. BUT, a lady on ship had somebody assault her and try to take the ring off of her finger. It was not a pleasant "experience" for her. Maybe she should have had no jewelry on her. BUT, the location was fairly close to the ship and in a somewhat busy area. There are dangers and risks all over the world. It's a personal choice as to what each of us does and where.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 41,117 views for these postings.

...she should have had no jewelry on her. BUT,

When it is said that "Brazil is not for beginners.", there is no room for BUT in the equation.

-----------

What's true? What's stupid? Very tangled and confused!! Sad for all involved. We'll all hope for the best as "things" get sorted and figured out. Clearly, we do not know, yet, exactly what did or did not happen.

Actually, it seems "we" do know. There is video footage of them brawling with a security guard at the gas station and breaking down the door to the bathroom by force.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

When it is said that "Brazil is not for beginners.", there is no room for BUT in the equation.

-----------

Actually, it seems "we" do know. There is video footage of them brawling with a security guard at the gas station and breaking down the door to the bathroom by force.

------

More of this may be in order:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k9792024-Apologies_for_idiot_Ryan_Lochte-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

Yes, more details have come out and been reported since I posted that info/questions earlier. See NY Post with this headline "Lochte, 3 US swimmers lied about robbery to cover up gas station brawl" at:

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 215,840 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I was in Rio in Jan 2015 for almost an entire day before my cruise. I stayed at Marriot JW on Copa and did a tour to the Redeemer. I only ever felt unsafe sitting in the lounge of the Marriott waiting for the tour bus. Lots of armed and unarmed security in the Marriott, outside in the drive area, and LOTS of armed paramilitary type police very visible walking, driving, riding motorcycles, and riding bicycles, on Avenue Atlantica. Many arrests were made. What unsettled me was the quantity and very visibility of the forces.

As others have stated: be aware, keep anything you value in a safe place, don't advertise with jewelry or expensive sun glasses.

I had no problems whatsoever, but one of the other guests at the Marriott had their flip-flops stolen from their towel while in the ocean at the Marriott's guest-only beach.

Learn some Portuguese. Basics are helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's Carnaval (car-nah-VAHL) btw.

S-T-O-R-I-E-S. Some of which seem to be turning out to be untrue.

Overreacting? Yeah. But maybe not if you lead a particularly sheltered life of privilege at home.

You need to be vigilant, not paranoid. Situational awareness. Crime is opportunistic. Don't give 'em the opportunity.

Avoid getting too drunk or exhausted or distracted to do the above. (responsible for many incidents you read about)

If you get into thick Carnaval crowds (like at one of the blocos), make sure your belongings are secured against pickpockets.

At night you take a taxi. They're cheap. And they're everywhere.

Most of the major sights can be gotten to by taxi. IMO the worst way to experience the city would be on a big bus full of other clueless foreign tourists, or in Sector 9 of the Sambodromo with more of them..

If I can help with any other issues/questions (based on my 20 ---SAFE--- years of regular long term visits to Brazil), please post.

Appreciate the offer...I seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest here....we have traveled extensively and done many excursions on our own, even in Mexico..Rio has always been on my bucket list and with 2 overnights there, I thought it would be the highlight of the cruise...I guess when you get into your late sixties, you become a little more cautious...we have not led a sheltered life by any means, but we're looking for honest feedback..cruise is not till 2018 so we are not panicking, it's New Zealand ,Australia Indonesia and Malaysia this year, then we can decide...keep your thoughts coming:)

I was talking about the athletes (fabricating the story). but I think if someone is so oversensitive, the accusation may have hit a nerve.

Being quoted and responded to as "you," I logically interpreted your response as directed at me. If you want to avoid such misunderstandings and ruffled feathers in the future, choosing your pronouns more carefully and making their antecedents clear should do the trick. ;)

Cheers!

...I guess when you get into your late sixties, you become a little more cautious...

At the risk of using the "wrong" pronoun.......you, not me. Everyone's comfort zone is different, but Rio should not necessarily leave you quaking before you have experienced real conditions on the ground (not second or third hand stories).

LOL I myself am headed to a music festival in the backwoods of Senegal next, one that sees few if any foreigners, on my own (i.e. senior, female, solo). Brushing up on my French.

...keep your thoughts coming...

Look at one of the Carnaval sites (like http://www.rio-carnival.net; carnivalservice.com; carnivalbookers.com) for info about Sambodromo sectors/seating. Sunday and Monday night are the major school parades. Also find on those sites other info about Carnaval in Rio.

Do note that there are 2 other major Carnaval celebrations, one in Salvador and one in Recife/Olinda, both very unique, in addition to other smaller ones in certain other towns like Ouro Preto that are all good fun.

A good intro website about Rio neighborhoods, museums, sights, clubs, beaches, etc is:

http://www.ipanema.com

LOL I myself am headed to a music festival in the backwoods of Senegal next, one that sees few if any foreigners, on my own (i.e. senior, female, solo). Brushing up on my French.

Where exactly will you be? I lived in rural Senegal years ago.... (if the event is truly in the boonies, perhaps you'll need to brush up on your Wolof! :))

Where exactly will you be? I lived in rural Senegal years ago.... (if the event is truly in the boonies, perhaps you'll need to brush up on your Wolof! :))

Baaba Maal's Blues de Fleuve festival in Podor:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/jan/03/senegal-baaba-maal-music-festival

He's one of my top favorite singers. He puts on a great show, and yes, sings in Wolof sometimes iirc. This festival ought to be a blast! Hopefully I can get by on rusty formerly-fluent French.

What an amazing coincidence!

Did you do Peace Corps or something?

Still have any contacts?

Edited by VidaNaPraia