Not your typical review- A Typical Norwegian Escape Aug 14-20,2016

Amoré Familia

88a9937756feffdbc8de6072697dbe48.jpg

9ea377ef363df3cf559c1e46c7f97f44.jpg

632f7803d66cfd60466b1a1660cc2084.jpg

3105372a39e6ef2477a9b88280a037eb.jpg

Rise and shine early for Belize. The GC will be buzzing. We were in the Manhattan room by 7:30. They had water for sale in there and had some juices , coffee and Danishes I think. We were cleared very quickly and once they start calling tours it moves fast. DH left right before they called our tour. We left without him. He caught up to us as we were walking out. Lamanai is the 1st called. You go down and through staff corridor to board tender and they call group A which meets in Escape

theater. The ride can be rough. Top and bottom disembark at same time. From this point on I will be only talking of the Lamanai tour.

First all dress. Clothes toed shoes is a must. Do not wear sandals or flip flops . If you do you just ruined your tour. You may want a poncho, garbage bag, or raincoat. You never know when it is going to rain in the jungle. Our day was overcast and we did have some rain. Which means mud. So no shoes you want to where again on the cruise unless you plan on cleaning them. Yes I had to clean ours.

When you disembark off the tender you will go to terminal 2 to the left. 2 on map. You will line up in a hall. Walk fast you really want to be on bus 1. If you need to go use facilities go to front of line and right. DH disappeared again. Ugggh. Came back just as they started to board bus 1 . In the push and rush of people my DS ended up a few people back. They were putting us on bus 1 when right after me they stopped the line. I was like we will go on next because that is my son back there. They brought him to the front . And after we boarded they decided to board one more family. Yes there is a facility on the bus but no one used it. It is a 1:10-1:30 min ride depending on traffic to the next leg of the trip. We boarded around 8:30 and left terminal around 8:50. We were fortunate to have Ed and Roy as our guides. Two very informative men and funny. Although we had mic problems Ed still gave us his spiel on Belize. He talked most of the ride and made it go quickly. He even had props to pass around. 10:15 the bus arrived We had 10 min to use facilities or chill. Sells water here too. Then off to the boat ride on the river.

5bac6977c0342f910f23834ccb4c1ea7.jpg

de3338654d20477faec11995e44e9a8e.jpg

This is the place where you will eat lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you start river tour portion they take a 5-10 min detour and we saw a monkey, they talk about he lily pad flowers and there was another animal we could not see it. As going up river they point out the termite nest which I thought were large bee hives. Then the fun speedy portio. Of the ride. We had rain as I said before and learned a second use for a life preserver . Although we got pelted with water and was fairly wet we dried fairly quickly. Just be careful when exiting the boat the first few steps on the pier are uneven. There are some small gift shops and facilities, be quick if you are using again. And don't use the far left one ladies. I locked it and almost got stuck in it . You will meet put on the path and they walk a hundred yards to a map and talk there for a few minutes if you missed them. Our group went right. This part of the trail is the worst. For us it was very muddy. So be prepared you shoes are going to get muddy. Trail improves later on. We saw an interesting animal back in the jungle so keep your eyes peeled. Our guide only stopped once he really was not waiting for people. So keep up or play catch up at the stops. At the first stop we had a short time to explore not long. And he does warn you if you fall at anytime get up quickly because there are fire ants.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

After the first stop on the tour we could hear the Howler monkeys (video with sound to follow) . At the big temple my teens did the climb to the top. Too high for me. Be careful if u decide to sit down. At the next stop the ball court I was standing there looked down and saw fire ants heading for me . I moved very quickly. As we walked along the path we saw one of the monkeys up in the trees. Then onto the last temple but we did not have a lot of time. We took a few pics and opted for a quick facility break and quick run through the tiny hut shops. Then back to the dock to leave. Water was flying but not like the last time. I'll post a pic. And beyond me why the old couple was put their plastic ponchos on their faces. I guess they thought we all knew CPR or that they had visited the last place on their bucket list. They were fine just not too bright. Even my teens commented on it. 9e09d8808351604119339f15227b0662.jpg

c85e7c8ebfdf85a5ddfde8bc62e62efa.jpg

b02cce1e48fb41836618acd19ea90746.jpg

https://vimeo.com/180453336

https://vimeo.com/180453420

We arrived back and had 30 for lunch before boarding the bus for the 1:10-30 ride back to Belize Siesta time. We made it back but did not feel we had time to shop. And we were the first bus. The line for the tender was long but moved quickly. If you are Haven you move to front of line. But my family said the Haven guy got on before them but after them at the cruise ship. We got separated because we were the last family on that tender. I was up on top. And at one point the tenders motor seemed to be crashing. All 3 guys up there ran to the steering wheel. They got power and never stopped water was flying up even to the top. One girl was drenched. My husband said guy by him was drenched to below. I said I figured the lower level was getting it bad if it was hitting us up on top. He was a little distance away when they cut the engine to await their turn . He jokingly said we had to swim the rest of the way. That was not a joke after that tender ride. Finally we could disembark. I now know why people say the tender ride is rough. These were the worst tender rides out of any of my cruise tenders.

That night we had dinner at the Manhattan club. Do not eat here if you are in a hurry. They ask first what your plans are for evening to gage when they are bringing you food. There is entertainment while you eat. This venue is not meant for those in a hurry. Listen to the music and watching the dancers was very entertaining. We saw the table of solo cruisers there. I also noticed that large groups were seated at the back away from the stage. We were in the middle . If you are watching entertainment I would not want to be any further back. Also in the back it looked like the walk ups were being seated. We brought tears to our waitress eyes. She fought them very hard trying not for us to see. Apparently our daughter reminded her of her daughter and she was missing her immensely. 034c2d3f09b37247b2b41c0170132b6d.jpg

baf3ed627be50c556dfe4cc88db538e8.jpg

bc28b288a253661d8f755c25df97ebee.jpg

e851c273ecf3b8c3846232cc5ab65863.jpg

That night we went to Headliners to see the comedy with the older gentleman Mark. He was fantastic. And as my daughter is a big sticker collector, they have their own Instagram account. And walls of stickers. She was happy Mark had stickers. She pod him a few dollars for his charity. I forget which one it was.

When you do the dolphin excursion you will opt for a time. We choose the 9:30-9:40 one. After exiting the cruise ship you walk to the end of the pier to check in. They will take you up the escalator and passed a bunch of stores and down the staircase. At which point they will put you in a taxi for a 3 minute ride. They put a letter on your band which is your large group . Upon arriving you can walk down an observe the group before you. If you want a locker just go to the right . $14 and they give you a souvenir bag. Changing rooms are to the right also. Eventually they will bring you over to the tiki hut and give you a sub number. That is the group you will be with for your swim. Lots of people already hit the bar for drinks that are included. Even the virgin daiquiris for the kids. But if you don't finish it fast before your group leaves then you trash it. When you walk down they have little huts with small boxes where you can store your stuff. Do not wear rings , earrings or any jewelry . They make you take it off including wedding rings. When we went down for the Dolphins we put our stuff in the box. But later got a locker because we decided to kayak and paddle board and would not be near the box. But I think it still would have been ok and could have saved the $14 we spent . After your swim is when they let you sign up for snorkeling, kayaking or PB. A group goes every 30min. Wish we would have signed up before eating lunch. And although they give you a time you really can stay longer . But cannot sign up for another group until you come back. The time they give you is because they do all of NCL then move into groups that are Carnival. There is another bar and lunch place further back to the right. And they are adding another area.

After you get your subgroup number. They will fit everyone with a life jacket . Then start calling groups. They know by the color of your band if you are a swimmer and which group to put you in. After they walk you down and you dump your towels and shoes and anything else in the boxes . A crash lesson in signals and off to your Dolphin(s). Ours was Helena, a very friendly loving dolphin. She was absolutely a real gem. She was the baby of the group which made her fun. The water was slightly cool but very swimable. You will swim out and they will have dolphin swim by as you pet . One lady in our group did not swim, she was not much of a swimmer apparently. He bought the dolphin to her. We swam back in. At this time your leader will pick people to start their belly rides and kisses. Alternating. He is very good at judging who can swim well and can 't and who is not scared . And they have parents swim out with young children. When doing the belly ride the dolphin comes from behind your left side and you grab on. Dolphin does wait for those who are slower grabbing on. I was one of the first to do kisses. I was so excited I kissed him right away on the lips and then did the cheek kiss , which is opposite what they say to do. He said he liked me, not afraid . So he immediately had me do my belly ride. I noticed he picked on my family first a lot . We have a pool at home and I think he picked up on the fact we were comfortable in the water. The more relaxed you are the more fun you will have with the dolphin. He kept the lesser comfortable people for the end. Yes water flies up into your face on the ride. Just smile and relax. Dolphin senses when tense and I noticed those people seemed to get a shorter ride. They show you the Dolphins ears. And you get to make the dolphin sing and splash. They show their speed. And you swim out with googles to semi snorkel and see the dolphin underwater close up. I could never time my breaths and when he was coming by. Then you say goodbye. Back to grab your stuff. Then they walk you to their gift/photo store. A full package includes all photos of your family on cd, 1 printed photo of each person in your family, and a DVD of your session minus the kisses. Because most people opt for those for their photos. We asked if the price was the best they could do. He worked out a price based on number in your family. We felt it was reasonable better than the price they originally show you. But I don't think anyone pays that price and they know it. They helped us get all our photos on the cd. We originally missed some. And they showed us how to pick the ones we wanted printed. I can say the printed photos are a odd size and we did not buy the frames. I guess we should have. But did not want to spend that much on a frame. Not even a cardboard frame is included just the print . I don't know how people don't buy the photos. Maybe they have done the swim with dolphins before. The dolphin will bring out the kid and you and give you a sense of peace.

We got lunch right down by the gift shop. I liked the fish the best. Some of the other food was not my favorite. I would suggest maybe one person going and getting you into a group while the other buys the photos. You pick them up before you leave. We had to wait for our group. The water was very rough that day. Daughter got up once on PB (Yes she is experienced ) . We kayaked, first time. They were not recommending first timers that day but we ignored that and I know some PB did too. One lady was backward on her board. Daughter tried to tell her it would be easier if she turned around. But since it was so rough she was content being backwards. We did go out of the area they have roped off. Not intentionally. Then for us we decided to go back to cruise ship. They called us a taxi , included, and they are waiting across the street. He drops you off right in Front of the terminal. There are those stores here. You can walk further down if you desire to. We were looking for a pharmacy item for a bug bite son had but I knew it was overpriced . We ended up buying on cruise ship better price but still expensive. Then we went back to cruise ship. The teens had decided they would do the ropes course while in port. They figured less wind and less crowds. They were right.

I haven't posted on this thread till now. I've been following the whole time and very interested in your review. I will be sailing in May on the Escape and the Western Caribbean. :)

If there is anything you are wondering just ask. I am trying to cover as much as I can remember . And will post some stuff at the end that I forgot as I was going a long. Or papers I could not remember where they fitted in. Even though you are a Cleveland fan I won't hold it against you. (Die hard Steeler Fan here) but I am an old Ohioian, so you must be ok.