river cruise lines

beebee

I know that there have been many, many boards comparing the different river cruise companies but rather then going back over the boards I thought I could just narrow down my comparisons. I have done one cruise, Amsterdam to Budapest on Avalon and absolutely loved it. I am know looking into either a cruise that will include most of France and hopefully include Paris or perhaps one that includes the Paris to Prague connection. the lines that I am looking into are: Avalon, Amadeus Waterways, Viking or Tauck tours. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The "good" and the "bad" aspects of planning a second river cruise is that the Amsterdam-Budapest cruise covered so many different locations that are included in so many river cruises that it is difficult finding a new experience while redoing some of the same locations. Not that that is such a terrible idea!!!!

Thanks for any thoughts!

It may not have Paris, but look into Berlin to Prague on the Elbe. This has to be Viking's best European trip. GCT now does it. Just got Vantage's newest cateloge(would love to have their printing contract). they are doing this itinerary on Deilman's boat F. Chopin. This goes all the way to Prague by water--the others go by bus from Litomerice to Prague. Deilman is now out of the cruise business and their boats have been bought or leased by other lines. Goo luck finding jus the right trip for you. Pat

2yrs.ago,would see different sites than your first one..Another we loved was Uniworld Douro river in Portugal,,,then,,of course Egypt,Russia...many to choose from...good luck

PS..about Vantage cruises,,my TA wouldnt,,or couldnt book with them,,since "direct Marketing" company,,sorry ,,but this makes me leary..;)

2yrs.ago,would see different sites than your first one..Another we loved was Uniworld Douro river in Portugal,,,then,,of course Egypt,Russia...many to choose from...good luck

PS..about Vantage cruises,,my TA wouldnt,,or couldnt book with them,,since "direct Marketing" company,,sorry ,,but this makes me leary..;)

Neither Vantage nor GCT will commission TAs and you must have a US address to book. We have used GCT multiple times with no problems. I'm not the least bit leery . . .

Beebee, see my post on "France". We just returned from the Avalon Grand France with Provence extension and loved it. The ports chosen were wonderful and the included tours were great. The optionals offered were a nice selection of wine tastings, history, art, etc so I rec'd Avalon. We just received info that says next year they will be adding bicycles that can be used in some of the ports on some of the cruises. Certainly there were ports on the France itinerary that one could have used a bike, although the cobblestones could make for some excitement!! c

Thanks to everyone for the info and input so far!

cbb-I think I am leaning towards a French itinerary and I did like our cruise on Avalon so I will definitely be looking into one of their cruises. I am still hoping to fit Paris into our trip.

Archived