Taxi driver from Piraeus to Museum

Janice621

We are interested in spending our time in Athens at the New Archaeological Museum. We would simply like a taxi from the cruise port of Piraeus to the museum and then have the taxi pick us up about 3-4 hours later with a return to the port. We do not want a tour as we have been to Athens several times and wish to spend our time at the museum.

I understand that to obtain a taxi right from the ship could be a problem. Therefore, I would like to reserve someone reliable in advance. Any recommendations?

Janice

Do you mean the new Acropolis Museum? Or the Archaeological Museum?

Either way, you could contact Jordan at jordantaxi52@hotmail.com -- he prefers to do tours, but if he is not available he can set you up with someone else. I have used him several times in Athens for tours and transportation and he is extremely reliable.

Alternatively, there is a new express bus that runs from the port to Athens that likely has a stop near the museum (if you mean the Acropolis Museum). There is a fair amount of info on it on these boards.

I know the OP is asking about a taxi, but for those interested in the Express Bus mentioned above, from the Express Bus, you could be dropped at the Syntagma stop, and then take the metro (red line) from Syntagma to Omonia. The National Archaeological Museum is a ten minute walk. (Or change to the green line at Omonia for the Victoria stop, which is a 5 minute walk to the Museum). See: http://www.athensguide.com/museum.html

http://www.ametro.gr/page/default.asp?id=48&la=2

The Green Metro Line runs right back to Piraeus. The same day pass used for the Express Bus can be used. Local bus #s 827, 828, 831, 843 & 859 that return to the E12 port gate, are just outside the entrance to the Metro Station. Cross the street or take the bridge for the bus stops. (Note: not all ships are at this gate).

Last September we booked a taxi for 4 with Piraeus Port Taxi; http://www.piraeusporttaxi.com/ The driver was waiting for us when we got off the ship and took us directly to the Acropolis. We were some of the first people there :). For the trip back to the ship later in the day we just caught a taxi near our last stop of the day, the Acropolis Museum.

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

""Alternatively, there is a new express bus that runs from the port to Athens that likely has a stop near the museum (if you mean the Acropolis Museum). There is a fair amount of info on it on these boards.""

I thought the express bus was not running. Is it and will it be running in FEB 2015? Thanks

""Alternatively, there is a new express bus that runs from the port to Athens that likely has a stop near the museum (if you mean the Acropolis Museum). There is a fair amount of info on it on these boards.""

I thought the express bus was not running. Is it and will it be running in FEB 2015? Thanks

I think the express bus only operates during the main tourist season. If you're interested, I'd suggest doing some research on the Tripadvisor Athens forum where there is likely more info on this.

• 3 weeks later...

Educators2

Could you please tell me from where you collected the taxi at the Port (ship-side or outside the gate?) to go to the museum? And, were you able to hail a taxi to return to the port or did you pre-book ?

Thank you.

I'll take this one (see post #7)......

The taxi picked us up at the ship. Will take you where you want to go. We hailed a taxi on the street for the return trip no problem. Price was the same and we were let off just outside the gate near the ship.

Educators2-

We sailed with you on the NCL Jade in 2009 on a Med cruise. Karen and Gary, Gary was the Civil War buff. Hope all is well with you. Perhaps we'll sail together again.

<<<Karen>>>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was there back in July 2012, I prebooked a taxi. It ended up being a lot more than just getting one right at the port. There were lots of taxis ready to give u a bartered price. I would not prebook again.

Taxis in athens are very easy to use.you can find them anywhere and have taxi meters so they are not going to cheat you just ask them for a receipt and you will be fine.there is no need to prebook any taxi exiting the port area you will find them easily

Sent from my iPhone using Forums