Time from Canada Place to Lion's Gate Bridge by Cruise Ship

Approximately how long does it take for a cruise ship to get to Lion's Gate Bridge after departing Canada Place? The stated departure time is 5:00pm on HAL Zaandam. I would like to be on deck as we pass under the bridge. Just trying to plan when to tell the rest of our party to meet at the MDR for dinner. We have Open Seating dining but I thought I read where you can (but don't necessarily have to) make reservations. We would like a table by a window. Is that correct? Thanks.

From the time the ship pulls away from the pier to the center of bridge I would say its about 20 to 30 mins. Some time they can be even longer if they are in no rush to meet the evening tide in Seymour Narrows. Now if you want some real excitement forget the bridge and about an hour after you pass under the bridge look to starboard and you will see me waving....no charge....its just something I do. For a little extra I dip the flag in my front yard or for even a little more I offer a full Monty....however my neighbours have a taken a very dim view of my Monty antics lately and have threatened to call the RCMP.:D

Thoughts...

• I remember a few times the boat departed early once everyone was on board.
  • Keep your eyes open shortly after the mustard drill for movements out the window.
  • MDR for dinner? The crossing occurs before dinner on my trips. I recommend being on the top deck for the sail away party when the crossing usually happens. There photographers are usually going around taking everyone's pictures. Don't just stop for one photographer.... keep wandering at get a picture from each photographer.

Edited by xlxo

Lol, thank you for your feedback. Putterdude, you crack me up! Since we will most probably be in the MDR when we pass you, I will request a window table on the starboard side of the dining room. We will watch for you and the RCMP! Wow, dinner and a show...who knew?

xlxo, DW likes to dine early so that was the reason for the question. I thought it would be possible to make both of us happy. We can enjoy Sail-away, passing under the Lion's Gate Bridge, (after the Mustard Drill...do they serve hot dogs with that, wink, wink) and make it to dinner early enough to suit the DW. Now, we'll just have to reserve that table on the starboard side. Thank you very much for your responses. Smooth sailings.

Lol, thank you for your feedback. Putterdude, you crack me up! Since we will most probably be in the MDR when we pass you, I will request a window table on the starboard side of the dining room. We will watch for you and the RCMP! Wow, dinner and a show...who knew?

I'll be easy to spot, I will be in front of a bunch of flashing red and blue lights and people in scarlet tunics and pointy hats....OK I'm just kidding about the scarlet tunics and pointy hats. :D Enjoy your time under the bridge and the cruise.

From the time the ship pulls away from the pier to the center of bridge I would say its about 20 to 30 mins. Some time they can be even longer if they are in no rush to meet the evening tide in Seymour Narrows. Now if you want some real excitement forget the bridge and about an hour after you pass under the bridge look to starboard and you will see me waving....no charge....its just something I do. For a little extra I dip the flag in my front yard or for even a little more I offer a full Monty....however my neighbours have a taken a very dim view of my Monty antics lately and have threatened to call the RCMP.:D

Hey Putterdude, will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam on June 18th, do have the flag waving when the ship sails by, will be wavin to ya. Aw tell your neighbors you doin that for a cause.

Virginia

Hey Putterdude, will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam on June 18th, do have the flag waving when the ship sails by, will be wavin to ya. Aw tell your neighbors you doin that for a cause.

Virginia

I'll be watching for you. Often if there is not a rush to get to Seymour Narrows, HAL often floats by so close to the beach we can read the dinner menu....other times we have cruise ships races as they hurry to meet the tide in the Narrows.

Yep, just checked the calendar and we should be back from our Baltics cruise by then.

Now if you want some real excitement forget the bridge and about an hour after you pass under the bridge look to starboard and you will see me waving....no charge....its just something I do. For a little extra I dip the flag in my front yard or for even a little more I offer a full Monty....however my neighbours have a taken a very dim view of my Monty antics lately and have threatened to call the RCMP.:D

My brother lives in Sechelt apparently. I'm going to have him look you up next time a ship goes by. I'll tell him to look for the crazy guy with his pants down and flashing lights with a golf club in his hand. When he was younger he'd be right there with you but now he'd be the one calling the cops LOL. For the record, next time I come up on the ferry I'm going to figure out a way to pay you for a personal show. I'll bring the Blue and a good time will be had be all. Well except the neighbors.

OP, there may be several ships in port that day and they can't all leave at 5:00. We have gone down to Stanley Park to watch the ships leave, and upon occasion have had to wait for up to an hour for departure. I assume you will all be up on deck anyway; if you don't have to make reservations, then why rush things? Sail away out of Vancouver (and under the bridge) is fantastic. I would give myself at least 40 minutes or more from the time the ship starts to pull away.

Have fun. :)

Langley Cruisers, thanks for the response. 40 minutes sounds like a reasonable amount of time and be just about right for our plans. Of course, I realize anything could happen and things could change the timing. We were just trying to get an idea on the time for the ship to leave and get to the bridge. As you say, we will be on deck enjoying sail-away and passing under the bridge anyway...not to be missed! I checked with on Cruisetimetables.com and it only shows Celebrity Infinity and HAL Zaandam in port that afternoon (June 5). the Infinity is scheduled to leave at 4:30p and the Zaandam is scheduled to leave at 5:00p. Maybe there won't be a traffic jam. Thanks again.

My brother lives in Sechelt apparently. I'm going to have him look you up next time a ship goes by. I'll tell him to look for the crazy guy with his pants down and flashing lights with a golf club in his hand. When he was younger he'd be right there with you but now he'd be the one calling the cops LOL. For the record, next time I come up on the ferry I'm going to figure out a way to pay you for a personal show. I'll bring the Blue and a good time will be had be all. Well except the neighbors.

I thought that the Sechelt bro was the bro you didn't speak to....come of it, its been a long time since I heard from you.:D

I thought that the Sechelt bro was the bro you didn't speak to....come of it, its been a long time since I heard from you.:D

He is but I have another one that lives in Garden Bay and talks to him. I talk to bro 2 but not his wife (who plays golf, by the way). Right now he is working for Mt Seymour. Bro2 talks to Bro1. He is limited in family at the moment LOL. I've been around. I miss you too :p

He is but I have another one that lives in Garden Bay and talks to him. I talk to bro 2 but not his wife (who plays golf, by the way). Right now he is working for Mt Seymour. Bro2 talks to Bro1. He is limited in family at the moment LOL. I've been around. I miss you too :p

If its the GB's SIL she likely plays at Pender Harbour so I wouldn't know her. If its the Sechelt SIL and she plays at the SCG&CC I probably know her at least by name I was a member there for 12 years. In the past 18 months I have moved to the Blue Ocean Club here in Sechelt and only know a few of the ladies....but they are not the barracudas that play at the SCG&CC.:D

Most of the time Holland's ships are bow in and thus on sailing they must reverse out of dock into the turning zone, swing about to starboard and then proceed towards the bridge. 30 minutes is typical. Princess almost always is stern in, and they just sail out towards the bridge, 15-20 is typical. This ships will not leave the dock until there is a clear period of no inbound traffic in English Bay's approaches to the bridge. Inbound traffic has priority.

• 2 weeks later...
The other day, the NCL Jewel was in the North berth with Bow facing East. We left the dock and turned, getting to the bridge in 20 minutes. Got some great pictures sailing under her.

Thanks for the update, that's in the time range that was suggested, however there are always variables such as traffic, how quickly they want to get to Seymour Narrows to name just a few. Being a native Vancouverite, I am a bit biased, however I think that Vancouver is one of the prettiest harbours to sail out of, certainly in North America.

Thanks for the update, that's in the time range that was suggested, however there are always variables such as traffic, how quickly they want to get to Seymour Narrows to name just a few. Being a native Vancouverite, I am a bit biased, however I think that Vancouver is one of the prettiest harbours to sail out of, certainly in North America.

It was the second time sailing out of Vancouver, and I could not have asked for a more beautiful day to depart. I am still working on getting my pictures ready, but I will share them on this thread when I get them processed.