Making payments on Carnival website

cfr70

I made a $50.00 credit card payment yesterday towards my sailing on Carnival website and my remaining balance due reflects that payment. However on my credit card page this morning (Capital One), it's showing that $50.00 Carnival payment TWICE and $100 taken from my available credit. Weird.

The charge is still showing as "pending" so i'm guessing that duplicate $50.00 will fall off (as it should because I didn't pay twice, or click anything twice when paying, and Carnival is correctly acknowledging only the one $50.00 payment.)

Has this happened to anyone else and something I shouldn't worry about? It's just really strange!

I have read other complaints before, did you hit the "submit" button twice ?

Better yet, just throw your payments in your desk drawer and make 1 final & full payment when the deadline approaches. That way you don't have these issues and if your plans change you don't have a struggle to get your money back from Carnival.

That's the easy way.

I have read other complaints before, did you hit the "submit" button twice ?

Better yet, just throw your payments in your desk drawer and make 1 final & full payment when the deadline approaches. That way you don't have these issues and if your plans change you don't have a struggle to get your money back from Carnival.

That's the easy way.

Clicked "submit" only once, and even on Carnival's website, it's only showing my one $50.00 payment made, so it's apparently not a double payment. I'm guessing (hoping) it's a "pre authorization" that will fall off, but i've never seen authorizations for a full double of original payment. Usually it's for a buck or two.

Both are still "pending" so will check Monday to see if it fell off. If others have complained about this as well, it seems something that's common of Carnival. I'll take your advice and just set the funds aside and make one lump final payment.

But what if Carnival doubles THAT?! That would be a huge duplicate charge then! :eek:

Clicked "submit" only once, and even on Carnival's website, it's only showing my one $50.00 payment made, so it's apparently not a double payment. I'm guessing (hoping) it's a "pre authorization" that will fall off, but i've never seen authorizations for a full double of original payment. Usually it's for a buck or two.

Both are still "pending" so will check Monday to see if it fell off. If others have complained about this as well, it seems something that's common of Carnival. I'll take your advice and just set the funds aside and make one lump final payment.

But what if Carnival doubles THAT?! That would be a huge duplicate charge then! :eek:

If it is a duplicate charge, you can dispute it with credit card company, they will adjust it if need be.

It's probably a situation that I see a lot with online purchases charged to a credit card: at the point of the sale, the merchant will send a credit check type transaction to the card provider to get an initial approval/authorization for the charge. That initial transaction may or may not be the same amount as the actual charge. Subsequently, the real charge transaction will be sent by the merchant and that initial "test" charge will disappear.

It's probably a situation that I see a lot with online purchases charged to a credit card: at the point of the sale, the merchant will send a credit check type transaction to the card provider to get an initial approval/authorization for the charge. That initial transaction may or may not be the same amount as the actual charge. Subsequently, the real charge transaction will be sent by the merchant and that initial "test" charge will disappear.

I went and contacted my PVP about it and she confirmed Carnival only charged the original $50.00 and the other $50 will fall off.

She also cleared up exactly what happened, which I think is still strange.....I originally typed in one wrong digit of my credit card number because it looked like a 1 but was a 7. Carnival immediately declined it and I simply re-entered the correct digits and then submitted it.

She said that first declined transaction STILL went on my CC which is just bizarre. Declined to me means not accepted...or at least I thought it did! :confused:

So in any case, it will fall off in a couple days and the moral of the story I guess is that I need glasses lol. When I pay my next installment i'll be sure to wear them!!

Yes, that explanation is very odd. If an incorrect card number was sent to the card provider, it would likely be reflected back to the merchant as invalid and therefore declined. It makes no sense that the initial "oops" charge attempt would still go against your credit card. I still think it's the situation I described but regardless, it will drop off your account in a day or two. And yeah, maybe some reading glasses are in order! ;)

Speaking of odd things happening with payments, I have my bank send an auto check the first of every month. My check dated 03/01/17 was mailed but the check was never cashed. My check dated 04/01/17 was not cashed in a timely basis. I called to inquire and my PVP gave me the number that I should call to pursue the issue. I didn't get around to calling, but on 04/11/17, my check dated 03/01/17 was submitted for payment at my bank.....going on six weeks late. On 04/12/17, my check dated 04/01/17 was submitted for payment at my bank. I found it odd that checks were not processed on a timely basis....now it will be interesting to see the schedule my 05/01/17 check.

For some reason the website won't let me make any partial payments on my cruise. I have to call my PVP to make a payment. The website will only accept a payment in full.

That is strange as well. I've made a couple of separate partial payments on our next cruise without any issue. :confused:

For some reason the website won't let me make any partial payments on my cruise. I have to call my PVP to make a payment. The website will only accept a payment in full.

Ask your PVP about that and find out why. I can easily make partial payments and love the fact that I can...it makes it easy to pay off the cruise this way because i'm terrible at saving lol.

Same thing is going for my March 2018 cruise. Only option is to pay the whole thing off. When I called they asked if I booked with a travel agent, which I did not but directly online with Carnival. Had to read off 10 gift cards to clear the $1000 in Verizon Carnival gift cards. Now my July 2017 cruise I was able to enter the gift cards and make payments no problem one month ago. Strange

I originally typed in one wrong digit of my credit card number because it looked like a 1 but was a 7. Carnival immediately declined it and I simply re-entered the correct digits and then submitted it.

She said that first declined transaction STILL went on my CC which is just bizarre.

If you typed in the wrong number there is no way that they would charge your card because the numbers didn't match. Your PVP was way off on that one. If your card number is 1237 and you type in 1231, they aren't about to charge 1231 thinking you made a mistake. Most cards have that three or four digit numbers on the back or AMEX asks for zip code so if those numbers don't match, they won't charge that account.

All the experiences noted above are the reason I never make partial payments to Carnival .

All my partial payments go into my desk drawer and I make 1 "paid in full" payment a couple days before final payment date.

No stress, no anxiety waiting to see if Carnival has "botched" it up somehow.

And for those of you who say they can't save, the only difference between sending it to Carnival and locking it in the desk drawer is real estate (and a whole lot less stress).

If you typed in the wrong number there is no way that they would charge your card because the numbers didn't match. Your PVP was way off on that one. If your card number is 1237 and you type in 1231, they aren't about to charge 1231 thinking you made a mistake. Most cards have that three or four digit numbers on the back or AMEX asks for zip code so if those numbers don't match, they won't charge that account.

I thought about that too and agree. If I entered even one wrong digit, there should be absolutely no way on earth it would make it to post my credit card account. Now the three digit number on the back was also entered, so I wonder if that contributed as a factor?

But as you say, if I enter 1231 and card is 1237, unless the computer automatically guesses combinations, it should have never hit my account so i'm betting this is just Carnival's system glitching and PVP is saving face.

Now the funny thing is, it's Sat morning and the actual $50 payment has posted to my Cap One, yet that duplicate is still sitting up there in the "pending" area tying up that $50.00. Not that I desperately need it, but still...it's all just very weird.

I thought about that too and agree. If I entered even one wrong digit, there should be absolutely no way on earth it would make it to post my credit card account. Now the three digit number on the back was also entered, so I wonder if that contributed as a factor?

But as you say, if I enter 1231 and card is 1237, unless the computer automatically guesses combinations, it should have never hit my account so i'm betting this is just Carnival's system glitching and PVP is saving face.

Now the funny thing is, it's Sat morning and the actual $50 payment has posted to my Cap One, yet that duplicate is still sitting up there in the "pending" area tying up that $50.00. Not that I desperately need it, but still...it's all just very weird.

I will bet (and no, I won't bet $50!) that pending charge for $50 will disappear in a few days - perhaps not until one or two more business days have elapsed. I've seen those temporary/pending charges stay on my account for 4-5 days before they're gone.