Parrot Tree Plantation or South Beach info needed

mitsugirly

We will be returning to Roatan and had previously thought about going to Parrot Tree Plantation (but ended up booking with Little French Key instead last time) and we are considering it again.

Anyone that has been there, can you please tell me your thoughts? (Yes, I know it's a resort with a pool, man made lagoon and not really a snorkeling area)...but I would still like to know what you thought of the place.

The cruise ship offers it for $59/pp (adults) and $49/pp (child). Now I know they always have to make a killing off their excursions, so I started checking into doing it on my own.

I have found that Parrot Tree sells their day passes for only $15 per adult and $5 for a child (which would only be $35 for the 3 of us to get in). Then you have to factor in a taxi. Anyone know the pricing of a taxi to get to Parrot Tree? I have read some old threads that mentioned $30 for round trip...but how do you get them to return and be assured that they are going to return for you? (Or do they just charge you $15 for the trip there and then you pay the other when they return to take you back?)

Also, anyone have any pricing on the food and drinks? Or even a menu? I always like to factor this into the cost as well. If you do the ship excursion, it includes your meal and a drink.

Regarding the pool, I noticed there is a water slide there. If anyone has been there with kids, can you tell me if there is an age or height limit?

Anyone used the wifi there and did it work well? Is it close to the beach or pool?

Can anyone recommend maybe one of the tour operators that would have this day excursion and if it's better to go that route instead of just grabbing a taxi and doing it on our own? (I'm thinking on our own is a better\cheaper option since I did look up Ronys and it's $25/pp for 3 people plus you still have to pay the entrance fee to get into Parrot Tree).

Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

We will be returning to Roatan and had previously thought about going to Parrot Tree Plantation (but ended up booking with Little French Key instead last time) and we are considering it again.

Anyone that has been there, can you please tell me your thoughts? (Yes, I know it's a resort with a pool, man made lagoon and not really a snorkeling area)...but I would still like to know what you thought of the place.

The cruise ship offers it for $59/pp (adults) and $49/pp (child). Now I know they always have to make a killing off their excursions, so I started checking into doing it on my own.

I have found that Parrot Tree sells their day passes for only $15 per adult and $5 for a child (which would only be $35 for the 3 of us to get in). Then you have to factor in a taxi. Anyone know the pricing of a taxi to get to Parrot Tree? I have read some old threads that mentioned $30 for round trip...but how do you get them to return and be assured that they are going to return for you? (Or do they just charge you $15 for the trip there and then you pay the other when they return to take you back?)

Also, anyone have any pricing on the food and drinks? Or even a menu? I always like to factor this into the cost as well. If you do the ship excursion, it includes your meal and a drink.

Regarding the pool, I noticed there is a water slide there. If anyone has been there with kids, can you tell me if there is an age or height limit?

Anyone used the wifi there and did it work well? Is it close to the beach or pool?

Can anyone recommend maybe one of the tour operators that would have this day excursion and if it's better to go that route instead of just grabbing a taxi and doing it on our own? (I'm thinking on our own is a better\cheaper option since I did look up Ronys and it's $25/pp for 3 people plus you still have to pay the entrance fee to get into Parrot Tree).

Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

We have visited Parrot Tree a couple of times and have really enjoyed it. However we are an older couple and have different requirements in what we are looking for, I'm sure. We are looking for somewhere relaxing,away from the crowds, and I prefer to swim in a nice pool. Parrot Tree has a series of three I think linked pools but no water-park, or lazy river.

I may be wrong but from reading your previous reviews I don't think you would find Parrot Tree has the wow factor you seek. The pools are very nice, and quiet, with only one small (possibly two) slides as i remember. I don't remember height or age restrictions but wasn't really looking. The pool is to one side of the condominiums and the lagoon, bar/restaurant and beach are to the other side of the buildings. I do remember bar service being almost non-existent around the pool.

I don't believe we checked wi-fi, or if there was a charge - but I am sure an email would answer that easily as I did contact them before my visit to ask other questions at the time, which were readily answered.

Both times we visited we booked a private driver because we prefer to have a driver available on Roatan, in case we change our mind, or the weather doesn't co-operate. The day pass has increased since we visited. There is some nice architecture and good photo ops. We didn't explore too far because it was very hot but I believe there is a marina if you want to walk but I wouldn't say there was too much for young children to do, besides the pool.

I know you are on the look out for new places. Have you checked out Turquoise Bay or Club Natale, two more of our favorites? Again however these places tend to be quiet. TB probably is more picturesque with nicer sand although I am not sure how good snorkeling would be from the shore but yuu can take a boat excursion. CN is more rustic, nicer pool, lovely private beach (a distance away)but not such "nice" sand. Supposedly good snorkeling a kayak ride away (we didn't do it because we had a toddler with us).

We have visited Parrot Tree a couple of times and have really enjoyed it. However we are an older couple and have different requirements in what we are looking for, I'm sure. We are looking for somewhere relaxing,away from the crowds, and I prefer to swim in a nice pool. Parrot Tree has a series of three I think linked pools but no water-park, or lazy river.

I may be wrong but from reading your previous reviews I don't think you would find Parrot Tree has the wow factor you seek. The pools are very nice, and quiet, with only one small (possibly two) slides as i remember. I don't remember height or age restrictions but wasn't really looking. The pool is to one side of the condominiums and the lagoon, bar/restaurant and beach are to the other side of the buildings. I do remember bar service being almost non-existent around the pool.

I don't believe we checked wi-fi, or if there was a charge - but I am sure an email would answer that easily as I did contact them before my visit to ask other questions at the time, which were readily answered.

Both times we visited we booked a private driver because we prefer to have a driver available on Roatan, in case we change our mind, or the weather doesn't co-operate. The day pass has increased since we visited. There is some nice architecture and good photo ops. We didn't explore too far because it was very hot but I believe there is a marina if you want to walk but I wouldn't say there was too much for young children to do, besides the pool.

I know you are on the look out for new places. Have you checked out Turquoise Bay or Club Natale, two more of our favorites? Again however these places tend to be quiet. TB probably is more picturesque with nicer sand although I am not sure how good snorkeling would be from the shore but yuu can take a boat excursion. CN is more rustic, nicer pool, lovely private beach (a distance away)but not such "nice" sand. Supposedly good snorkeling a kayak ride away (we didn't do it because we had a toddler with us).

Thank you so much for the response. We are very flexible and love a quiet relaxing day in the sun and ocean or we can roll along with the crowds with no problem. Either doesn't bother me. My 6 year old daughter is basically the same way. She can spend an entire day at the beach playing in the ocean with not a care in the world and absolutely love it. We actually have to drag her out to leave. So having things for her to do pretty much doesn't matter. She entertains herself well. If there's more things to do at any given place, it's just an added bonus for her. :D

As far as the "wow" factor. Do you not think the beach lagoon area is pretty? I'm having a hard time with it because I spent yesterday googling pictures of the place, looking at their website and also looking at the pictures on TA and I think it looks very beautiful there at the lagoon area. It looks like it would be a "wow" factor to me. However...I am reading several reviews of the place and people are complaining that the lagoon "smells of sewage" and there are tons of trash around it...beer bottles and stuff floating in the water. While I understand that any beach area can have things wash up in the water from just about anywhere (even though it's a man-made lagoon, it's still connected to the ocean) and it's the "people" that are responsible for leaving their trash around, it's just concerning that maybe the staff isn't taking the time to clean up and keep the place looking as beautiful as the pictures show. Did you find the lagoon to be trashy or have a smell? :confused:

We mainly go to a place for the beach and ocean, but if there's a pool, it's just an added "extra" to get away from the salt water and into a fresh water pool to usually end the day. So we don't mind the pool.

If the bar service is pretty much non-existent around the pool, did you have to walk really far to get to the bar? Do you remember the pricing on sodas and frozen drinks? Did you eat there and what did they have and the pricing? Was it worth it?

It does look like a very nice place to get some awesome photos as well. I love awesome photo ops. :D

I will also look into your other suggestions and see what I come up with. Thanks for all your info and suggestions. :)

OK, NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED.....

I emailed Parrot Plantation the following:

We will be in Roatan in November and we are thinking about visiting Parrot Tree for a day (while on our cruise).

Do you have a menu and pricing to your food and do you have to book ahead of time and get a reservation before arriving?

Or can you just show up the day and pay the entrance fee?

Thanks so much.The response I received was:

Good afternoon

The entrance to the resort is free and the menu goes for $ 5.00 till $ 70.00 per plate

If you need more information, feel free to let me know.

Thank you very much and we are at your service.

Um, free? Why does the website say $15 then? Now I'm really super duper confused. :confused:

Perhaps they believe you are going for lunch.. no beach, no pool, no lounger and what not.

While you said visit for the day the person answering the email may not have understood. Perhaps the phrase Cruise Ship Daypass and a link to the information on the web site. I find in often times the left hand has NO idea what the right is doing.

edit.. second thought I would copy and paste the day pass info to an email and ask what the food and prices are at the Palapa restaurant cause I doubt they are $70

Edited by Guest 2000

OK, NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED.....

I emailed Parrot Plantation the following:

We will be in Roatan in November and we are thinking about visiting Parrot Tree for a day (while on our cruise).

Do you have a menu and pricing to your food and do you have to book ahead of time and get a reservation before arriving?

Or can you just show up the day and pay the entrance fee?

Thanks so much.The response I received was:

Good afternoon

The entrance to the resort is free and the menu goes for $ 5.00 till $ 70.00 per plate

If you need more information, feel free to let me know.

Thank you very much and we are at your service.

Um, free? Why does the website say $15 then? Now I'm really super duper confused. :confused:

Our first visit to Parrot Tree we had been elsewhere and just wanted to look around and have lunch and in deed there was no entrance fee and we just did PAYG at the restaurant so I think guest is correct it means you cannot use the facilities. The second time we had a day pass (only $10 at the time) which included welcome drink and use of facilities.

It has been a while and I don't remember prices but don't rember them to be unreasonable or we wouldn't have returned for a full day. I think possibly the high price you were quoted may have been a sharing platter for a group?

I did try to reply to your previous post but CC wouldn't allow me to post a link. I found a review from a Royal Caribbean cruiser blog who had visited more recently and said there was free wifi and food and drink prices were reasonable. They also said they didn't find the pool and were happy with beach area with their young child. They had photos of beach beds which I don't recall, maybe since the resort is still developing more loungers may have been added since our visit. It kind of confirmed what I said about the pool and beach area/bar beeing a little distance and short walk- you will see what I mean from aerial photos although it won't give you a true idea of distance. I am sure you will find, or have already seen the report, if you google parrot tree day passes.

Forgot to add, I don't recall any bad smells or trash - the resort was well maintained and clean when I visited. We did walk round the lagoon and there was some debris that had collected in areas where the tide came in which probably was worst or better at times depending on weather.

I consider the lagoon area to be "pseudo-pretty" - it is quiet and relaxing but I find the lack of wave action and flat sand rather artificial, which of course it is! To me the main attraction is the pool but then I prefer to swim in a nice pool rather than the sea!

I think you will find nice photo ops especially of architecture - the buildings, bridges, features etc. I have just looked up my old photos and apparently there were beach bed loungers, I guess I just didn't notice or remember! I would certainly consider returning to the resort sometime and if it wasn't too hot I would like to explore further and walk round the marina area and investigate the resort facilities further.

Perhaps they believe you are going for lunch.. no beach, no pool, no lounger and what not.

While you said visit for the day the person answering the email may not have understood. Perhaps the phrase Cruise Ship Daypass and a link to the information on the web site. I find in often times the left hand has NO idea what the right is doing.

edit.. second thought I would copy and paste the day pass info to an email and ask what the food and prices are at the Palapa restaurant cause I doubt they are $70

Good idea. I did email them back, but haven't got a response again. Maybe I'll try once more and they misunderstood.

Our first visit to Parrot Tree we had been elsewhere and just wanted to look around and have lunch and in deed there was no entrance fee and we just did PAYG at the restaurant so I think guest is correct it means you cannot use the facilities. The second time we had a day pass (only $10 at the time) which included welcome drink and use of facilities.

It has been a while and I don't remember prices but don't rember them to be unreasonable or we wouldn't have returned for a full day. I think possibly the high price you were quoted may have been a sharing platter for a group?

I did try to reply to your previous post but CC wouldn't allow me to post a link. I found a review from a Royal Caribbean cruiser blog who had visited more recently and said there was free wifi and food and drink prices were reasonable. They also said they didn't find the pool and were happy with beach area with their young child. They had photos of beach beds which I don't recall, maybe since the resort is still developing more loungers may have been added since our visit. It kind of confirmed what I said about the pool and beach area/bar beeing a little distance and short walk- you will see what I mean from aerial photos although it won't give you a true idea of distance. I am sure you will find, or have already seen the report, if you google parrot tree day passes.

Is this review on the cruise critic board? Or a personal blog somewhere? How can I find the review?

I did try to reply to your previous post but CC wouldn't allow me to post a link. I found a review from a Royal Caribbean cruiser blog who had visited more recently and said there was free wifi and food and drink prices were reasonable.

Ok, I think I may have found the blog you were talking about. Thanks for the info.

Forgot to add, I don't recall any bad smells or trash - the resort was well maintained and clean when I visited. We did walk round the lagoon and there was some debris that had collected in areas where the tide came in which probably was worst or better at times depending on weather.

I consider the lagoon area to be "pseudo-pretty" - it is quiet and relaxing but I find the lack of wave action and flat sand rather artificial, which of course it is! To me the main attraction is the pool but then I prefer to swim in a nice pool rather than the sea!

I think you will find nice photo ops especially of architecture - the buildings, bridges, features etc. I have just looked up my old photos and apparently there were beach bed loungers, I guess I just didn't notice or remember! I would certainly consider returning to the resort sometime and if it wasn't too hot I would like to explore further and walk round the marina area and investigate the resort facilities further.

Good to know you didn't notice any smells.

Lack of waves would be fine with us. We just returned from Blue Lagoon in Nassau and it was a lagoon with no waves and we loved it there...especially for the younger kids.

I did check out Turquoise Bay or Club Natale(well, I googled pictures) and I don't really seem to care too much for what I saw at TB online. Club Natale however looked nice and interesting. I may consider it as well.

Off to do more research. You are more than welcome to tell me more about your experience with both TB and CN. Thanks so much. :)

Ok, I think I may have found the blog you were talking about. Thanks for the info.

I did check out Turquoise Bay or Club Natale(well, I googled pictures) and I don't really seem to care too much for what I saw at TB online. Club Natale however looked nice and interesting. I may consider it as well.

I'm leaning heavily towards TB. I believer we are on the same itinerary as you (SUN) but next April. What are your reservations about TB? I'm not trying to be snippy but I have some too and wanted to see if they were the same ones. I do want a very private/quiet beach day and that fits the bill but a couple of the things I see don't thrill me. THANKS!

I'm leaning heavily towards TB. I believer we are on the same itinerary as you (SUN) but next April. What are your reservations about TB? I'm not trying to be snippy but I have some too and wanted to see if they were the same ones. I do want a very private/quiet beach day and that fits the bill but a couple of the things I see don't thrill me. THANKS!

Very quiet and private.. have ya looked at Paya Bay.

I am going merely off of the pictures that I see. I'm all about finding not only a relaxing place, but a beautiful place. So, I haven't really read anything negative that stood out (not that I have really read into any of them), but just googling pictures.

To me, TB looks like it's just really out in the open. Don't get me wrong, we have done plenty of places out in the open and don't have a problem with the sun at all. But when needed, a little shade here and there is nice, especially when eating and having a drink. At TB, I found numerous pictures of lots of chairs lined up with 1 palapa here and there. Like this:

Edit: Picture removed since it is too large. Basically, it is the same as the next picture but closer.

Everything just looks really out in the open:

Roatan_Turquoise_Bay.jpg

It does look beautiful with the sand and all, there just doesn't seem to be much there. The pool (although not a factor at all for us) isn't really anything special and seems small.

For Club Natale, it looks a little more lush around the beach and the greenery just gives it that nice Caribbean feel to me.

large.jpg

4868272_1_b_w.jpg

There also seems to be a lot of huts to relax in

gorgeous-beach.jpg

Although like I said, the pool isn't something major for us, but this one does have an infinity pool, which is kinda neat for pictures.

large.jpg

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
Picture removed due to size. Makes the thread too wide for the average member screen.

I am all about the pictures and the neat things to find when exploring. I found this, which is kind of neat, along the beach at Club Natale:

view-along-the-beach.jpg

I did read several reports on it (I can't remember if it was here or on TA) and most people rated it an excellent place.

So, can you share what your reservations are with TB? Since I haven't had too much time to research, maybe you found something I should be aware of. :)

Edited by mitsugirly

The only thing I have to say about the two is opposite sides of the island Club Natale is on the windward side. That may be a good thing for less bugs but a bad thing for water.

Paya Bay has all kinds of fun things to find on their nature walk, as well as two separate beaches and a third water entry in a bay. I was out there for a week two years ago... not a single bug around, left the windows open all day/all night.

The only thing I have to say about the two is opposite sides of the island Club Natale is on the windward side. That may be a good thing for less bugs but a bad thing for water.

Paya Bay has all kinds of fun things to find on their nature walk, as well as two separate beaches and a third water entry in a bay. I was out there for a week two years ago... not a single bug around, left the windows open all day/all night.

Paya Bay looks like an amazing place with the trails and several beaches. However, it is a little more on the expensive side for a day AND what really puts me off is that it's a 60-90 minute trip there. That would eat up possibly 3 hours of our time in port and not leave very much time at the actual resort. :( So it does look tempting, but I think I'll have to pass on that.

90 mins? wow.. I don't think I had any idea it was that far. I thought it was 45 from the airport.

That's what their website said for the day pass for the cruisers.

So Guest, any other recommendations? I know you know what I like and you have always had wonderful information about Roatan. Is there any other place out there similar to Little French Key, Maya Key or West Bay (all combined into one place would be nice :D). :o

I don't know so many with day passes.

You have been to West Bay where many day passes are.

Paya Bay and Camp Bay are to far out.

Little French Key

Maya Cay you have done.

I think Palmetto does day passes but I don't much like the sand or the water out there.

I would take Turquoise Bay over Club Natale just cause I prefer the Turquoise side of the island. But you may be right about the shade.

I do not like anything about Parrot Tree or Fantasy Island.

Ya know... Half Moon Bay resort in West End does day passes... they don't really have a beach but they have loungers and a huge restaurant area. The snorkeling is not bad over there and if ya want Half Moon Bay Beach is not far off nor is West End if us think ya wanna have a walk.

Upachaya doesn't have a beach but they have a pool, they also do a fun snorkel thing. http://upachaya.com/

I gotta tell ya, depending on the number of people at Little French Key and if snorkeling is not the goal.. I think that a grand spot. I love the look of the lagoon. http://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/honduras/bay-islands/roatan/little-french-key-harbour.html

Edited by Guest 2000

I don't know so many with day passes.

You have been to West Bay where many day passes are.

Paya Bay and Camp Bay are to far out.

Little French Key

Maya Cay you have done.

I think Palmetto does day passes but I don't much like the sand or the water out there.

I would take Turquoise Bay over Club Natale just cause I prefer the Turquoise side of the island. But you may be right about the shade.

I do not like anything about Parrot Tree or Fantasy Island.

Ya know... Half Moon Bay resort in West End does day passes... they don't really have a beach but they have loungers and a huge restaurant area. The snorkeling is not bad over there and if ya want Half Moon Bay Beach is not far off nor is West End if us think ya wanna have a walk.

Upachaya doesn't have a beach but they have a pool, they also do a fun snorkel thing. http://upachaya.com/

I gotta tell ya, depending on the number of people at Little French Key and if snorkeling is not the goal.. I think that a grand spot. I love the look of the lagoon. http://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/honduras/bay-islands/roatan/little-french-key-harbour.html

Can you explain "I like the turquoise side of the island" to me? Is the water bluer over there? What's the difference?

Can you tell me what it is you didn't like about Parrot tree?

We're not really interested in going somewhere without a beach (since we have a little one). A beach is priority over snorkeling, but if snorkeling is included, it's just an added extra for us.

Geesh, thanks for reminding me of that webcam at Little French Key. WOW it's so beautiful. It almost instantly made me want to forget about looking for something else. :D

I do know that we will be the only ship there in Roatan the day we arrive, so either way it's going to be a good day there. :)

I don't know that the water is any more blue... for some reason I just prefer the leeward side of the island. This wind on the windy side can take over, that and I do not believe the shore line to be as inviting. Though you are right Little French Key is on the windward side.. they managed a lovely lagoon.

Parrot Tree is far to man made for me... as is Fantasy Island. I much prefer nature's work to man's.

By the by ~ I do not like the beach at Camp Bay either.. it is slanted and very difficult to walk on.. though it does feel like miles of it.

I am a sand snob, the sand in West Bay is amazing white fluffy stuff. Palmetto it feels hard and not as white and a bit yucky. Most of the time I spent in the area was walking dogs along the coast. If one walks about 20-30 toward west end, they will find Marbella Beach, last time I was there the developer still had not built, I believe it is what West Bay was before people. The worry is NO facilities and perhaps industrious locals. I always had dogs with me so had no worry.

Shezzz, I don't have any pics of Palmetto's beach but this is the walk with the dogs I was talking about.

http://the-housesitter.com/blog/?p=42

Edited by Guest 2000

I don't know that the water is any more blue... for some reason I just prefer the leeward side of the island. This wind on the windy side can take over, that and I do not believe the shore line to be as inviting. Though you are right Little French Key is on the windward side.. they managed a lovely lagoon.

Parrot Tree is far to man made for me... as is Fantasy Island. I much prefer nature's work to man's.

By the by ~ I do not like the beach at Camp Bay either.. it is slanted and very difficult to walk on.. though it does feel like miles of it.

I am a sand snob, the sand in West Bay is amazing white fluffy stuff. Palmetto it feels hard and not as white and a bit yucky. Most of the time I spent in the area was walking dogs along the coast. If one walks about 20-30 toward west end, they will find Marbella Beach, last time I was there the developer still had not built, I believe it is what West Bay was before people. The worry is NO facilities and perhaps industrious locals. I always had dogs with me so had no worry.

Shezzz, I don't have any pics of Palmetto's beach but this is the walk with the dogs I was talking about.

http://the-housesitter.com/blog/?p=42

Now that beach is what I'm talking about...

Palwalk3.JPG

That is beautiful and exactly what I'm looking for (of course with facilities, food/drinks and no industrious locals. ;)

If only I could find that. :)

dhauk on Trip Advisor has some interesting things to say about Turquoise Bay:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k7595813-Turquoise_Bay_Resort_Snorkel-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Hmmm, concrete sand. That about sums it up for me. :p

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have officially decided to go ahead and do Parrot Tree. I don't know what it is, but something about the place just keeps calling my name. I love the way the lagoon looks (even if it's man-made) and the bridges. The pool looks extremely nice as well with the slide, fountains and bridges. There's just something about all the pictures I'm seeing online that I like about the place.

So....now that I have officially decided this is where I want to go.....NCL completely takes it off their excursion list. :eek: Now normally I try NOT to do a ship sponsored tour, however I was trying to figure up the cost...$15 per adult x2 and one child $5 and I was thinking I have seen some old threads that stated round trip taxes can be $30-40 or so. So I guess I was looking at around $75 not including food. I can't exactly remember the cost of the ship excursion, but I was also thinking that it included your food and drinks? So I was just going to play it safe and book that way if it included everything. Now it's gone. I have no clue what happened to it...whether it got booked full with the amount of openings they had or if they just decided to drop this excursion.

Now...I must do it on my own. :p We will be coming from Coxen Hole and will need to catch a cab. Any recent prices on getting a taxi and the best way to go about it? I know that Roatan has been in the media a lot here lately about the deaths there, them passing the "no gun" law and there have been all kinds of killings since then, and I just want to do this the best way possible and the safest way. Any advice is appreciated as always. :)

Good Morning,

I would be tempted to email Parrot Tree, ask them to recommend you a taxi they know and work with. They can also give you best price.

I would then call several of the tour people to see what kind of prices they offer.

Either way would be safe.

I personally believe taxi are extortionist the world over but if recommended by Parrot Tree, perhaps not as much so. Parrot Tree is some distance from Coxen Hole.