Frig in Ryndam rooms

eandj

We have booked an ocean view on Ryndam. While looking for a couple answers re the ship in old threads, I just read that there is NOT a frig in those rooms? Tell me it isn't so.:(
On that ship class only cabins with balconies have them. You can rent one for $2/day by calling 800-541-1576 to reserve. Edited by jtl513

As per the suggestion and telephone number provided above, if you really want a 'cooler' you would do well to call and reserve one in advance of boarding. There is a limited supply of them.

They do not chill like your refrigerator at home but normally provide cooling to low 50 degrees or maybe high 40.

The thread title catches the eye of those who know the difference between frig and fridge.

LOL! I thought I was seeing things when I saw the thread title...yes indeedy...that woke me right up!

:D Guess I should have unlocked my "other" dictionary to see how this topic could have gone astray.:D

Thanks for the info re the fridge. Disappointed for sure. Would have figured somewhere along the line this older ship would have been updated.

So with little space to put it and not thrilled to have to pay extra to use one (:rolleyes:).... will I have a problem getting two buckets of ice everyday to keep a wine bottle, soda, water or bottle of beer chilled?

Edited by eandj

So with little space to put it and not thrilled to have to pay extra to use one (:rolleyes:).... will I have a problem getting two buckets of ice everyday to keep a wine bottle, soda, water or bottle of beer chilled?

Two buckets of ice, changed twice a day, is easy. What you might want to ask for is a wine bucket, though, since the ice buckets are on the small side. Keeping a bottle in the wine bucket, at the ready, would work nicely.

They do not chill like your refrigerator at home but normally provide cooling to low 50 degrees or maybe high 40.
I've seen a few people say that the rentals will cause sodas to freeze at their lowest settings, which leads me to believe that they are true refrigerators, and not thermo-electric coolers. (For example, see the last two sentences in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43538861&postcount=34 ) Or maybe just some are true refrigerators and some are t-e. Are the ones in suites t-e?

:D Guess I should have unlocked my "other" dictionary to see how this topic could have gone astray.:D

Thanks for the info re the fridge. Disappointed for sure. Would have figured somewhere along the line this older ship would have been updated.

I have often asked for the large wine bucket to be filled with ice to use as we please -- especially for ice water. The regular ice buckets are very tiny.

For your canned soda ... here is a trick my DH used on our first cruise when we arrived in our cabin and realized we did not have a frig. At our first port he bought one of those vinyl insulated bags in the size that holds one 6-pack. We put six cans of soda in there with ice (just dumped the ice bucket into it when the room steward refreshed the bucket). Leave it on the far edge of the bathtub because when the ice melts it will leak. We always had cold sodas and at the end of the cruise we threw the bag away.

Edited by Linda&Vern

For your canned soda ... here is a trick my DH used on our first cruise when we arrived in our cabin and realized we did not have a frig. At our first port he bought one of those vinyl insulated bags in the size that holds one 6-pack. We put six cans of soda in there with ice (just dumped the ice bucket into it when the room steward refreshed the bucket). Leave it on the far edge of the bathtub because when the ice melts it will leak. We always had cold sodas and at the end of the cruise we threw the bag away.

Great Idea! Love a nice cold Diet Coke sometimes. I haven't sailed in an S class for years but will be doing so this Sept. Will check my local Dollarama for one of those vinyl insulated bags.