Taking wine into Canada?

Perhaps a dumb question, but....We're planning to take some wine along with us when we drive to Quebec for our cruise later this year. Are there laws or restrictions on bringing wine into Canada? Don't want to go to jail because of a chardonnay!

Perhaps a dumb question, but....We're planning to take some wine along with us when we drive to Quebec for our cruise later this year. Are there laws or restrictions on bringing wine into Canada? Don't want to go to jail because of a chardonnay!

You'll have to declare the wine , alcohol and tobacco products when you cross the border .

Look at the link below . Sometimes agents will flex a little. It has all the restrictions especially the business of firearms .

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html#a2c

Another dumb question and no insult meant to Canada but we are flying from

San Francisco to Montreal and want to buy duty free in SF. I presume that flight is considered an international flight and we can bring duty free but I know at some Canadian airports US customs screens passengers for flights to the US so I wanted to be sure.

Another dumb question and no insult meant to Canada but we are flying from

San Francisco to Montreal and want to buy duty free in SF. I presume that flight is considered an international flight and we can bring duty free but I know at some Canadian airports US customs screens passengers for flights to the US so I wanted to be sure.

If you have a non stop flight you should be OK to bring the duty free up to the allowable limit

If you have a connecting flight best wait

option #2 just buy your wine in PQ ;)

You are screened leaving Canada for the USA ...you will clear immigration & customs when you enter Canada

Edited by LHT28

Unfortunately our flight to Montreal is from the domestic terminal in SFO so no duty free. There is a SAQ outlet near our hotel in Vieux Montreal but we will be there on May 18th which is Victoria day or Patriots Day. Will the liquor stores be closed?

That is 2 bottles each.

Unfortunately our flight to Montreal is from the domestic terminal in SFO so no duty free. There is a SAQ outlet near our hotel in Vieux Montreal but we will be there on May 18th which is Victoria day or Patriots Day. Will the liquor stores be closed?

SAQ (Societes des Alcools) are open on Patriots Day so as grocery stores and shopping centers in general.

If you trust your packing abilities buy your booze wherever you like and put it in your hold luggage - that way you don't need to worry about the carry-on liquid rules or the high prices here in Canada.

Compare your local pricing for some favourite wines against the SAQ website listings to see what your savings would be. I would recommend that you pop into SAQ anyway though to grab some ice cider - a pretty much unique-to-Quebec product that offers less insipid sweetness than most of our comparably-priced ice wines and is IMO the best accompaniment ever to foie gras.

Edit: also just realised everyone has been (sensibly) quoting the Duty Free limits - you are allowed to bring in as much booze as you like to Canada, as long as you declare it and pay for any excess. I'm not familiar with the exact rates of duty levied in Quebec, but I believe we have the worst rates here in BC and any wine that costs c.US$30 a bottle is always worth paying the tax on - you still save money compared to local liquor store pricing.

Your cruise line may of course limit what you can bring on to drink as well so a couple of bottles per person might be plenty for you - but maybe you're huge boozehounds who want to bring a caseload apiece on for all I know;-)

Edited by martincath

If you are sent to secondary then the rules are strictly enforced. Another is unprocessed food is normally not allowed.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

I don't know what is meant by "sent to secondary" could you please explain.

Thanks for info.

Janet I think they mean that just like in the US some passengers are pulled out of line, whether randomly or due to "suspicions", and subject to a secondary, more through examination.

It always seem to happen to us when we are in a hurry to make a flight and they want us to turn on each electronic device, unpack our carry on completely, etc. Oh, the joys of traveling!!!

If you trust your packing abilities buy your booze wherever you like and put it in your hold luggage - that way you don't need to worry about the carry-on liquid rules or the high prices here in Canada.

Compare your local pricing for some favourite wines against the SAQ website listings to see what your savings would be. I would recommend that you pop into SAQ anyway though to grab some ice cider - a pretty much unique-to-Quebec product that offers less insipid sweetness than most of our comparably-priced ice wines and is IMO the best accompaniment ever to foie gras.

Edit: also just realised everyone has been (sensibly) quoting the Duty Free limits - you are allowed to bring in as much booze as you like to Canada, as long as you declare it and pay for any excess. I'm not familiar with the exact rates of duty levied in Quebec, but I believe we have the worst rates here in BC and any wine that costs c.US$30 a bottle is always worth paying the tax on - you still save money compared to local liquor store pricing.

Your cruise line may of course limit what you can bring on to drink as well so a couple of bottles per person might be plenty for you - but maybe you're huge boozehounds who want to bring a caseload apiece on for all I know;-)

Actually I have looked at their web site and for things like Bourbon/rye such as Canadian Club the prices are not bad. Obviously local products but luckily we are Bourbon/rye drinkers.

Hate to put bottles in the luggage as we have heard too many stories of broken bottles and clothes smelling of booze even after washing (some may like the smell:D)

There is also the weight restriction.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

I don't know what is meant by "sent to secondary" could you please explain.

Primary is when you meet the first officer. If your interview shows concern, you are given a more detailed interview (secondary).

This is a great series...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74JmjGU1Hl8SWtXheCDS7w/videos

Edited by xlxo