Vancouver Hotel Recommendation?

Our flight arrives at YVR at 8:35pm the night before our cruise. Since we only need a place to sleep that night, is there a hotel property that is convenient to the airport and cruise port without being too expensive? If they don't have complimentary transfers I suppose we'd need a place that is convenient to transportation.

Then when we disembark, we'll be flying out very late the next night so we'll need a hotel that's convenient for sightseeing.

Any recommendations please? :confused:

TIA

Steve

Our flight arrives at YVR at 8:35pm the night before our cruise. Since we only need a place to sleep that night, is there a hotel property that is convenient to the airport and cruise port without being too expensive? If they don't have complimentary transfers I suppose we'd need a place that is convenient to transportation.

Then when we disembark, we'll be flying out very late the next night so we'll need a hotel that's convenient for sightseeing.

Any recommendations please?e

The cruise port and airport are probably 10 miles apart. If you're looking to just crash when you arrive; staying by the airport is a good idea. There are plenty of airport hotels with free shuttles to the airport.

Getting downtown to the ship the next day is easy, there's a direct subway with stops at the airport and/or in the Richmond area.

• 4 weeks later...

we came in a day earlier pre-cruise in May 2014.

we only needed a central, clean and inexpensive room for the night.

we stayed at the Kingston Hotel in the downtown area. it is a B & B with shared bathrooms. the room is on the small side but we expected that for the price that we paid for it. the location was in the downtown area.

we took the Canada Line train from the airport to the Vancouver City station and walked from there to the hotel.

the next day, we walked with our bags down to Canada Place to board the ship.

do read the reviews about the place to see if it would suit you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm....

The most popular is the Pan Pacific where guests get to watch the cruise ship pull into the terminal below. Just need to double-check which side of the hotel the ship will pull in. An added perk is the Pan Pacific will look after getting your checked luggage to the ship. However, it's so popular that it commands a premium price to stay there.

Other popular cruise terminal adjacent hotels include

• Fairmont Waterfront
  • Fairmont Pacific Rim

There are hundreds of other popular downtown hotels, where guests have the convenience of being able to walk to.

Personally, my friends and I like to stay in the Richmond hotels near the airport. They are more affordable and more convenient for rental cars (some with free parking).

My fav Vancouver hotel would be the Raddison Airport in Richmond...

http://www.expedia.ca/Vancouver-Hotels-Radisson-Hotel-Vancouver-Airport.h14039.Hotel-Information

• free airport transfers
  • Vancouver subway station is across the street. 20 minutes downtown.
  • significant savings compared to Pan Pacific and other downtown hotels (enter your travel dates to compare). Spend the savings on meals, tourist attractions, and just simply extra nights!
  • taxi to cruise terminal is 35 minutes for $40.
  • free parking for my rental car
  • 3 major supermarkets for supplies are around the hotel for supplies.
  • hundreds of restaurants to choose from and some say the best Chinese foods surround it.

Yes the subway (Canada Line/Skytrain) is designed to transport luggage. However, I find it congested and find it's simplier to use a $40 cab when transporting a weeks worth of luggage to the cruise terminal. I would only use the subway if there bridge were shut down due to an accident (not likely in late mornings/early afternoons when cruise ships are loading).

Edited by xlxo

We'll be in Vancouver for a day and a half next fall before we cruise to Alaska. Last time we were there we stayed at the Hampton downtown (?). It was fine, but there was a lot of construction going on and it was hard to walk anywhere. We went to Granville Island by water taxi and enjoyed that.

What we're looking for is a hotel near the port, but also with something to do nearby that's not too physical. Is there such a thing?

Thanks for your help!

Last time we were there we stayed at the Hampton downtown (?). It was fine, but there was a lot of construction going on and it was hard to walk anywhere. We went to Granville Island by water taxi and enjoyed that.

What we're looking for is a hotel near the port, but also with something to do nearby that's not too physical. Is there such a thing?

What month and when were you here? Summer is prime road construction season across the city as traffic is lighter.

What activities are "not too physical"?

• Eating at Bella's ice cream?
  • carrying shopping bags?

• gorging on AYCE (all you can eat) sushi? Do you like ethnic foods?
  • spa's?
  • people watching?
  • check out the steam clock?
  • riding the Seabus?
  • riding the subways (Skytrain)?
  • riding FlyOver Canada?

Edited by xlxo

What month and when were you here? Summer is prime road construction season across the city as traffic is lighter.

What activities are "not too physical"?

• Eating at Bella's ice cream?
  • carrying shopping bags?

• gorging on AYCE (all you can eat) sushi? Do you like ethnic foods?
  • spa's?
  • people watching?
  • check out the steam clock?
  • riding the Seabus?
  • riding the subways (Skytrain)?
  • riding FlyOver Canada?

Sorry, non-specification is noted :)! We'll be there in September. We're not able to hike, eat uncooked fish (ick!), or ride the subway without local help (Hey, we're from the US South where there are NO subway's (unless you count the Subway Sandwich Shop!). We are able to shop, people watch, maybe check out the steam clock, and enjoy history, museum's, aquarium's, etc. . Ooops, I forgot the Bella's ice cream-yes!!

Thanks for your help and your humour!

Vancouver's downtown is quite compact so all of the downtown hotels are pretty much within a mile of Canada Place. However, here is a list of many 3*+ hotels that are within 6 to 8 blocks of Canada Place:

The Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place)

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

The Shangri-la

Fairmont Vancouver Hotel

Auberge

Coast Coal Harbour

Delta Suites

The Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

Sutton Place (about 8.5 blocks)

Sheraton at the Wall Centre (about 10 blocks)

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

I have left off the list the Blue Horizon only because it is more like 12 blocks from Canada Place but it hugely popular with cruisers.

During the cruise season it is very hard to get a room in a 3*+ hotel in Vancouver for under $200 per night unless you use something like Hotwire or Priceline. You should be able to secure a room out near YVR for $50 to $75 less and most of these airport area hotels will have shuttles to and from YVR but virtually none will have a shuttle to and from Canada Place.

We are staying at the Days Inn Airport in Richmond the night before our cruise in May. Our flight doesn't get there until 1:00 AM so all we want to do is crash when we get there. Can some one tell me how far it is from the hotel to the subway where we get on to go to Canada Place. Is it an easy walk? Thanks for any information.

Vancouver's downtown is quite compact so all of the downtown hotels are pretty much within a mile of Canada Place. However, here is a list of many 3*+ hotels that are within 6 to 8 blocks of Canada Place:

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

The Shangri-la

Fairmont Vancouver Hotel

Auberge

Coast Coal Harbour

Delta Suites

The Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

I have left off the list the Blue Horizon only because it is more like 12 blocks from Canada Place but it hugely popular with cruisers.

During the cruise season it is very hard to get a room in a 3*+ hotel in Vancouver for under $200 per night unless you use something like Hotwire or Priceline. You should be able to secure a room out near YVR for $50 to $75 less and most of these airport area hotels will have shuttles to and from YVR but virtually none will have a shuttle to and from Canada Place.

Thanks so much! We always appreciate your info :)!

we will be staying at the Pan Pacific in April it looks nice and is next to the cruise terminal:)

It's not next to the cruise terminal, it's on top of it. You literally ride the elevator down to the parkade level and you're there.

We are staying at the Days Inn Airport in Richmond the night before our cruise in May. Our flight doesn't get there until 1:00 AM so all we want to do is crash when we get there. Can some one tell me how far it is from the hotel to the subway where we get on to go to Canada Place. Is it an easy walk? Thanks for any information.

At 1am... I recommend taking a cab to the Days Inn airport. You'll be there in 8minutes ($15???).

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=YVR,+Grant+McConachie+Way,+Richmond,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Days+Inn+-+Vancouver+Airport,+2840+Sexsmith+Road,+Richmond,+British+Columbia+V6X+2H3,+Canada&hl=en&sll=49.192583,-123.127787&sspn=0.093673,0.203075&geocode=FZOu7gIdOGao-CGEgDSGrMxouimboyeGNAuGVDGEgDSGrMxoug%3BFYee7gIdFTip-CkhevbN33SGVDFaw7HB4DNcUw&oq=yvr&mra=ls&t=m&z=14

Canada Line frequency is poor at night and it's not pleasant walking from Bridgeport Station to the hotel at night (7 minutes), especially dragging luggage without sidewalks....

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=YVR,+Grant+McConachie+Way,+Richmond,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Days+Inn+-+Vancouver+Airport,+2840+Sexsmith+Road,+Richmond,+British+Columbia+V6X+2H3,+Canada&hl=en&ll=49.192362,-123.132105&spn=0.011709,0.025384&sll=49.192866,-123.154325&sspn=0.046836,0.101538&geocode=FZOu7gIdOGao-CGEgDSGrMxouimboyeGNAuGVDGEgDSGrMxoug%3BFYee7gIdFTip-CkhevbN33SGVDFaw7HB4DNcUw&oq=yvr&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ltm&t=m&z=16&start=0

There is a airport shuttle. But if the wait is long.... the taxi will have there much quicker for your sleep.

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

The Shangri-la

Fairmont Vancouver Hotel

Auberge

Coast Coal Harbour

Delta Suites

The Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

+1 THANKX too

we will be staying at the Pan Pacific in April it looks nice and is next to the cruise terminal:)

We have stayed at several of the hotels on Putterdude's list, but after staying at the Pan Pacific it is now my favorite Vancouver hotel. Having the Pan Pacific bellmen pick up our luggage from our hotel room for delivery to the porters was just lovely. My husband and I are in great physical condition and also pack fairly lightly, but still found this to be a great perk. Anyone on a cruise departing from Canada Place and traveling with either young children or someone in a walker or wheelchair would find that perk just invaluable.

Incidently, the Fairmont Waterfront will also deliver your luggage across the street to the Canada Place porters.

There was a time when I would have placed the Pan Pacific solidly in the top five hotels in the city but would now likely place it in the top ten....that is not to say the PP has slipped but more that there is some new-builds that have kind of pushed it. That all said, for a cruiser who is not on a budget then given their locations to the cruise terminal then it's pretty hard to beat the PP or the Fairmont Waterfront.

Those of you who have stayed at the Pan Pacific-are you using a bidding site for reservations? I checked the price for our date and it's nearly $400.00 per night. Not going to happen, no matter how convenient it may be :D!

I guess we'd better back up and look at downtown and airport hotel's. We don't mind spending $150-$200/per night for a nice, comfortable place, but not $400.00!

I'm sure we didn't pay anything like that a few years ago when we stayed at the Hampton Inn near the convention center (I think).

Thanks,

Those of you who have stayed at the Pan Pacific-are you using a bidding site for reservations? I checked the price for our date and it's nearly $400.00 per night. Not going to happen, no matter how convenient it may be :D!

I guess we'd better back up and look at downtown and airport hotel's. We don't mind spending $150-$200/per night for a nice, comfortable place, but not $400.00!

I'm sure we didn't pay anything like that a few years ago when we stayed at the Hampton Inn near the convention center (I think).

Thanks,

You're probably thinking of the Hampton Inn by the Stadium - there's only one other and it's in Richmond out by the airport. There are certainly plenty of condos that went up near that Hampton in the last decade or so, and still some going up today - good news is that the tower immediately behind it is now complete, so no more building site noise right next door (it's now a hotel, Blu, with some useful-sounding features like bikes and a free shuttle around downtown - and they offer discounted rates for Costco members).

As PD mentioned above, without going in 'blind' on a bidding site or looking well outside the downtown core you will not get many options in peak cruise season under $200 a night. But check Expedia etc. for pay-in-advance, unrefundable rates if you're well-insured or confident you'll definitely make the cruise and there are often rooms in decent hotels nearer the $150 mark.

As to your original criteria - no hotel in the downtown core is outside walking distance from multiple restaurants, activities & attractions, we have a very compact downtown.

Days Inn Vancouver airport (the one on Sexsmith) has a free shuttle from the airport, that's the way to go. Recently the taxi authority/airport passed a new 'fixed rate' taxi, and sadly even through it's a straight, under 2 mile shot from the terminal building to the Days Inn, it would be a $20 fare (yikes)!

As for how to get to the Train the next day (it's actually elevated not subway where you'd get on), exit the hotel , turn right and you can see it 2 blocks ahead of you. Maybe a 200-300 yard walk (about 1 cruise ship). $4 two-zone fare ($2.75 weekends); ride it all the way to Waterfront, and from there it's a 3 block walk to Canada Place.

I appreciate the input. I finally booked a room for Fri 5/22 upon my disembarkation. I used priceline and got Delta Vancouver Suites (****) for $140. I figured the quality justified the price especially since it's so close to the rail and Canada Place. Plus its only four months out on a busy cruise day. Lesser properties and further away downtown were going for almost as much.

I figure the DW will enjoy the quality. I consider that a deposit in her emotional bank account. That way I can make a future debit. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I appreciate the input. I finally booked a room for Fri 5/22 upon my disembarkation. I used priceline and got Delta Vancouver Suites (****) for $140. I figured the quality justified the price especially since it's so close to the rail and Canada Place. Plus its only four months out on a busy cruise day. Lesser properties and further away downtown were going for almost as much.

I figure the DW will enjoy the quality. I consider that a deposit in her emotional bank account. That way I can make a future debit. :D

If you do take the train from the airport, make sure you exit the Waterfront station platform using the exit right on the platform marked "Way Out - Granville St". If you take the tunnel into the station itself, you'll walk twice as far, and a good chunk of it uphill, but if you exit using the elevator on the platform, you end up on Granville @ W.Hastings, a level 1.5 block walk to your hotel.

If you do take the train from the airport, make sure you exit the Waterfront station platform using the exit right on the platform marked "Way Out - Granville St". If you take the tunnel into the station itself, you'll walk twice as far, and a good chunk of it uphill, but if you exit using the elevator on the platform, you end up on Granville @ W.Hastings, a level 1.5 block walk to your hotel.

Before I respond let me say that after spending most of the day reviewing y'all's previous two year thread, I really appreciate all of your, PD's and Martin's exceptional information on visiting Vancouver.

Thank you for the suggestion on leaving the Canada Line station. However on our way in, we're spending one night near the airport at LaQuinta with free airport shuttle. Since we get in about 8:30pm, I didn't see a reason to spend downtown rates. I haven't decided whether we want to walk to the nearby skyway line or just take a taxi.

We'll be staying at Delta Vancouver after we disembark so I'll use your recommendation in reverse since we will take the Canada Line Saturday evening to the airport. Because we have a late night flight out, we'll have our hotel hold the luggage and do a full day of sightseeing on the Vancouver Trolly as preferred in the other thread.

If you ever visit Charleston, I'd be happy to return the favor since both my DW and I have been in local tourism for about 16 years.

Again, thank you all for the wealth of shared info. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve