Civitavecchia (Rome)

tiggywig123

Hi, just looking for some info.

In February (3rd Feb 2016 sailing) there will be 6 of us going on the Norwegian Epic, for an 11 night cruise. One of our stops are in Rome. I am just interested in what everyone's opinion is on tours for this day. I have found a tour where we can each pay £30 (£180 in total), which will pick us up directly outside the port and take us in to Rome in taxi/minibus (not sure), leave us there for the day and then pick us back up in plenty of time to meet back at the cruise ship.

Now, my question is, do you think this is the best idea for our money? Or could we get a better deal if we just hop in a taxi outside of the port, asking to take us in to Rome, leave us there and then take us back to the ship? We don't want a tour guide, we want to be taken to Rome, left to do our own thing, and then taken back to the ship.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like what you're asking for is transfers, not a tour. Pick up at the port, drop at location B, pick up at location C and return to port.

If my math is correct you're looking at about €250, which is about right for two transfers. You might get quotes from a couple of the recommended transfer companies just to check.

Civitavecchia is 70 kms from Roma so a taxiw ill be expensive . If you are fit and able just walk to the station 15 minutes and take the frequent train ( average tarin every 30 minutes each way.) a lot cheaper . Alight at Roma Termini .

The round trip train ticket is €12, so €72 for your group.

You need to take a free port shuttle to a drop off point, where you can get a bus for €.8 to the train station, or walk, about a mile away. And then reverse the process coming back.

Only your group can decide whether the savings is worth the convenience to you.

If you do take the train, you have several options depending on what you want to see. You can get off the train at Roma Ostiense station and take the metro inside the same station for two stops (included in your train ticket) to the Colosseum. Or you can alight at Roma San Pietro if you want to start with the Vatican. Getting off at the main station, Termini, doesn't do much for you in terms of getting to the major sights--you would have to take a bus or metro to get to most places. Metro in Rome is not very helpful for tourists, basically just a big X BTW

Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful. Do you happen to know of a website I can check out to look in to the trains in Rome? TIA.

Yes, Trenitalia.com. You will want the departure station as Civitavecchia (it lists two but there's only one) and then any of the ones listed above as your destination. They only publish the schedules a few weeks/months in advance, but if you use the same day of the week as you are planning to be there, it will probably be accurate. They don't change much if at all. You might want to do a final check closer to your departure date just to doublecheck.

No need to book in advance, you can just buy your ticket right at the newsstand in the station. You want a BIRG ticket which also gives you use of buses and subways all day in Rome.

We took the train to Rome the day before our cruise just over a month ago. We bought the BIRG ticket which is good for all day travel on the train and metro for 12E from a "tobacco shop" inside the station. Make sure you validate it before you get on board the train.

Just a word of caution: often the trains run late, so give yourself enough buffer at the end of the day. Ours was about a 1/2 hour late getting back. On our 2009 cruise, we ran into a couple on the "last train back to Civitavecchia before sailaway" and they missed the ship. So get an early start in the morning so you're not rushed. And if you decide to leave from Termini, be aware that it's a huge station and might take you a 10 min walk to get to the regional train tracks. (We used the Saint Peter's station on this past trip, but left from Termini in 2009.)

Sue

Edited by SandG

We took the train to Rome the day before our cruise just over a month ago. We bought the BIRG ticket which is good for all day travel on the train and metro for 12E from a "tobacco shop" inside the station. Make sure you validate it before you get on board the train.

Just a word of caution: often the trains run late, so give yourself enough buffer at the end of the day. Ours was about a 1/2 hour late getting back. On our 2009 cruise, we ran into a couple on the "last train back to Civitavecchia before sailaway" and they missed the ship. So get an early start in the morning so you're not rushed. And if you decide to leave from Termini, be aware that it's a huge station and might take you a 10 min walk to get to the regional train tracks. (We used the Saint Peter's station on this past trip, but left from Termini in 2009.)

Sue

Thanks for your help. That's the one thing that worries me.. missing the ship! I think we will go for the train but will make sure I look in to it properly.

Our rule of thumb is to take back the second to last train that would get us to the ship on time, just to allow a buffer.

Same here -- I highly recommend doing this. It's hard to give up the time in Rome, but I feel better knowing there is a buffer.