Azamara Cruise Air - sticky thread dated 2011

JVilleGal

Well I am reading every thing on the Azamara Boards I can find! Flying to Australia is a long long haul flight, so I read the Cruise Air info but it is all very old dated info and in need of updates with current info.

Am I going to use Cruise Air??? Maybe or not, but I sure need to know what is possible so when I'm out trying to figure stuff out I have that info too. Normally we fly Business and use miles, but I'm plum out of miles :(

Qantas, Air New Zealand, Hawaiian.... Prem Econ ??? One-ways or Round trip. So much to think of and I don't want to ride in the back of the plane (does anybody?). This spoiled girl can't afford to pay retail for business, at least I can't justify paying.

Would appreciate tips and guidance of how Cruise Air with Azamara works. Thanks :)

Just to clarify, are you referring to Choice Air?

If so, you can access the Choice Air menu on the Azamara Site. Once selected, you have two choices: reserving a flight or Quick Flight Search Only.

Assuming you wish to explore your options, the latter will be useful.

If you've already done that, then you have seen the potential choices they are offering (assuming your flight isn't too far in the future).

In my research so far, Air New Zealand offers the best prices to that area; however, they do not offer an upgrade between economy and business.

In our experience, Choice Air prices are very competitive with those elsewhere, but there have been interesting discussions as to the nature of the tickets they offer.

If none of the flights offered are suitable, and you have discovered a suitable alternative, you can contact Choice Air directly they may be able to provide those flights.

Apologies if this information is too basic and not what you require. There is a forum on this board on flights and cruising, and a search there may prove more fruitful.

We have flown to Sydney twice. Both times we flew from LAX to Honolulu for a stopover. I tracked the cost of roundtrip flights to HNL, but because our last trip we were sailing back to the US, I decided to get a Hawaiian credit card and use points for the one way air in first class.

The trip before that we flew roundtrip to HNL, stayed a few nights, then flew JetStar to Sydney roundtrip.

I have found that splitting the air between a US domestic, then an international carrier to Australia is more reasonable than the long haul flight (and more comfortable with the mini-vacay in Honolulu!)

I agree about watching ANZ prices. We just flew them in premium economy one way from London to LAX and it was a great flight!

Thank you! Yes I have of course already checked out what Azamara has on their site and my sailing is not until Feb 2017 so tooooo early to search info. Because all the info on the "Sticky" pinned above is so old, 2011. I was hoping for more current experiences. Flights to A/NZ are just a little longer than a jump to Europe.

pcur & nordski thank you both for taking the time to answer. My DH has resisted this itinerary because of the many hours in a plane, Hawaii may be a great way to fix that!

pcur & nordski thank you both for taking the time to answer. My DH has resisted this itinerary because of the many hours in a plane, Hawaii may be a great way to fix that!

That's the reason I came up with the HNL stopover: my husband dreaded that long haul flight. This last time it was just an overnight at one of the hotels right next to the airport.

I checked my notes for our 2014 trip, and we got an American Airlines credit card for each of us. The bonus miles were actually used for a Hawaiian Airlines (partner airline with American) flight that arrived at 9pm.

We then booked Virgin Airlines to Sydney the next day, and Virgin uses Hawaiian Airlines for that flight. That was the business/first class flight. We had Chase Sapphire Visa points for that one, and our points covered one fare. That's what I like about using Chase's booking tool: it lets you pay a combination of points and cash, charging the cash on the credit card.

Great that you are planning so far ahead! Our New Zealand cruise will be in 2017 as well.

Like you, I've had to talk my spouse into this flight. And like pcur suggests we are looking seriously at breaking up the trip, only in our case it appears it will have to be at LAX. On our last cruise in the Med, upon which there was a very large contingent of Aussies, it certainly seemed that many had favourite airports where they would take a break from their flights. In many cases, for them, it was Singapore.

We assume that ChoiceAir can accommodate our request, but because of the lead time have not inquired about that.

Great that you are planning so far ahead! Our New Zealand cruise will be in 2017 as well.

Like you, I've had to talk my spouse into this flight. And like pcur suggests we are looking seriously at breaking up the trip, only in our case it appears it will have to be at LAX. On our last cruise in the Med, upon which there was a very large contingent of Aussies, it certainly seemed that many had favourite airports where they would take a break from their flights. In many cases, for them, it was Singapore.

We assume that ChoiceAir can accommodate our request, but because of the lead time have not inquired about that.

I booked our flights in totally separate segments. Two roundtrip tickets, for instance, if I was flying both to and from the cruise. Roundtrip Hawaii from LAX, then roundtrip Hawaii-Sydney. That way I was not dependent on an airlines stopover policies and schedules. I could book my flights at the times that were convenient for us. The stopover in Hawaii the first time was a 4 night stay before going on to Sydney. It was great!!

I'm thinking 3 to 4 days DH loves Hawaii.... Get him all happy and break that flight up.

Thank you these are the exact type of tips I'm looking irking for..... Plus ways to make DH think its not such a long trip [emoji16]

Edited by JVilleGal

Just to clarify, are you referring to Choice Air?

If so, you can access the Choice Air menu on the Azamara Site. Once selected, you have two choices: reserving a flight or Quick Flight Search Only.

Assuming you wish to explore your options, the latter will be useful.

If you've already done that, then you have seen the potential choices they are offering (assuming your flight isn't too far in the future).

In my research so far, Air New Zealand offers the best prices to that area; however, they do not offer an upgrade between economy and business.

In our experience, Choice Air prices are very competitive with those elsewhere, but there have been interesting discussions as to the nature of the tickets they offer.

If none of the flights offered are suitable, and you have discovered a suitable alternative, you can contact Choice Air directly they may be able to provide those flights.

Apologies if this information is too basic and not what you require. There is a forum on this board on flights and cruising, and a search there may prove more fruitful.

Which sailing ?? We are on the Feb 19 2017 sailing.

Which sailing ?? We are on the Feb 19 2017 sailing.

Sadly, we are on the Solstice. But we will make the best of it :).

This reminds me that Azamara has not been to Australia/ New Zealand until this winter. Perhaps you could garner more suggestions on the Celebrity forum.

Sadly, we are on the Solstice. But we will make the best of it :).

This reminds me that Azamara has not been to Australia/ New Zealand until this winter. Perhaps you could garner more suggestions on the Celebrity forum.

Not sad!!! Just getting to get on a ship at all (and being able) is a good thing... Isn't it nice we have so many Choices :)

I think I might go do some trolling of other boards whose ships go to A/NZ, thanks for that tip.

Doing Aus to NZ cruise this January on another line. On our roll call a cruiser discussing air from usa to Syd said to beware air New Zealand. He said they have added a seat on most rows for the trans pacific coach class patrons making it quite crowded. I have no knowledge if this is true for all flights. Some good work comparing airlines might be in order. FYI.

Doing Aus to NZ cruise this January on another line. On our roll call a cruiser discussing air from usa to Syd said to beware air New Zealand. He said they have added a seat on most rows for the trans pacific coach class patrons making it quite crowded. I have no knowledge if this is true for all flights. Some good work comparing airlines might be in order. FYI.

Thanks!