Just back from the Veendam

I did the B2B Boston-Bermuda-Boston-Quebec on the Veendam from 4 July. It was great to be able to self-serve at the lido from embarkation and not have to wait 2 days. There were a few minor cutbacks from my previous HAL cruises, chiefly the evening meal in the MDR is now 3 courses instead of 4. While no-one will ever be short of food on a cruise, this did slightly reduced the choices available, but overall it was another great trip, with the usual terrific service.

The only real issue I had was that there is now no aft pool (removed to install extra staterooms). The obvious consequence is that the lido pool (and area) was often very crowded, and now there is a rule that no more than 17 persons may be in the pool at any one time.

The poor man trying to enforce this had no chance on the hottest days. It was physically impossible to prevent people going in, and once in no way of getting them out. I counted 40 in there at one time. The next day the Captain was on the tannoy saying that if the rule was not observed the pH of the water could get dangerous and the pool would have to be closed until it was corrected.

Just a single pool for 1200+ passengers is not enough and if I cruise again with HAL it will only be on ships with 2 pools. And of course there was nowhere to escape the splash and noise from the children who do not understand what 'No Diving' means. All the best, Tony

I'm glad to hear that it was a good cruise overall. Being able to put together two different cruises like that is a nice option.

I'm sorry to hear the pool area was so bad, but it isn't surprising. Removing that aft pool was a bad idea. And then they put that ship on the run to Bermuda. It's a "warm" cruise with a fair amount of sea time, when people will want to use a pool. They should keep her on the Canada run where it's less likely to be so hot that everyone will want to be in the pool. Send Maasdam on the Bermuda runs. I think Maasdam might still get into St Georges, since she hasn't had the extra weight added. It would be good all around.

We were on Veendam right after the refit. I'm trying to remember what the pool is like, but 17 people sounds like a lot for a typical cruise ship pool. Forty is crazy! They must have been packed in like sardines. Were there a lot of people on the aft area? Does it have any shade?

We're doing "historic coasts" on her in August. I chose that one because it's port-intensive., lots to see. With only one sea day, the pool and the area around it won't be too much of an issue for us. Plus, we have a balcony so we can escape the noise. I don't think I'd book a summer cruise without that little bit of private outdoor space.

Several years a go my partner & I sailed Veendam NYC - Bermuda. We were not aware of the removal of the aft pool either & it was the last HAL cruise we have taken(we are 4 star mariners). Along w/ lots of maintainence issues and other cutbacks the pool issue was the last straw. Along w/ the additional passengers from the added staterooms the puddle pool they replaced the aft pool with was a blatant snub to passengers by Carnivore Corp.

I believe the same was done to Rotterdam...I do not know if other HAL have been changed but now Carnivore has added cabins to QE & QV and Queen Mary.

Veendam is like the tenement of HAL!

...... blatant snub to passengers by Carnivore Corp.

I believe the same was done to Rotterdam...I do not know if other HAL have been changed but now Carnivore has added cabins to QE & QV and Queen Mary.

Good one, Carinvore Cruise Lines. They have made more than a few dunder-headed changes like the splash pool additions. But then I don't know the economics of what they are facing either - it is expensive keeping any of these old ships going and that will always ben HAL's best niche- these wonderful smaller ships. As long as they can keep them going.

Edited by OlsSalt