Italian Job stress !!

Episode 1 The departure Flight.

Just returned from the Italian Job shortly after midnight on Saturday 1st August.

The story begins - Friday 24th July, flight departure from Luton Airport scheduled 3:30pm, Pilot stuck in traffic from Gatwick arrived 45 minutes late but apologised profusly. However, at 4.15pm, we taxi down to runway only to be told there is a minor technical problem. Plane returns to terminal for an engineer to come on board. Turns out it was the flight radar not functioning correctly. After waiting on the aircraft for at least another 45 minutes, we were given the all clear. However had to wait for air traffic control to give clearance. Again we taxi to the runway only to abort again. Radar still faulty. A new component is ordered from Gatwick. We were each given £5 voucher for refreshments in the airport terminal and a complimentary drink once the flight finally made it off the ground. Around 230 pretty wet (rained heavily all day and queueing to board twice people were drenched) angry passagers on board. Felt sorry for the crew as they had been at work from 12 noon on Friday until the plane finally landed in Corfu.

To cut a long story short, we finally took off at 23:05pm, some 7.5 hrs late. We were kept informed by the captain that the ship would wait, which it did. Finally boarded the Majesty at 6:15am on Saturday morning 25th July.

The best bit was not having was perform muster out on deck, and the helpfulness of the staff who opened up the hot breakfast bar especially for us!

Will try & Conclude with Episode 2 tomorrow and 3 later in week.

The Toilet episode. Cabin 4045

Having arrived on the Majesty @ 6.15 am. The cooked breakfast was very welcome all I wanted was hot food, fed up with sandwiches and snacks in 16hrs.

Went to bed at 7:30am woke to find the toilet blocked, went to reception and they said they would get a plumber to resolve as soon as possible. Plumber eventually fixed later that day, but the same problem occurred again and again. I counted 10 times over a period of 4 days to resolve. Came/fixed and later flushing would flood the bathroom.

I gave up on Tuesday and each time I reported usually a 4 hour wait to have resolved. They started to accuse me of putting foreign objects down the loo, why would anyone do that...

Anyway 4am in the morning having slept through constant overflowing of the loo I went to deck 5 to use the loo. Only to find all loo's closed for cleaning, They asked why are you not using the toilet in your cabin. To which I said "I forgot to bring our wellingtons. Immediately they came @ 4.15am to fix.

Sleep at last. Woke up later to the usual running water again. The toilet really seemed to have a mind of its own. Went to reception to file complaint number 10 before going to breakfast. Return to cabin to find the housekeepers saying "What have you done?" The flooding had now gone into the corridor, I guess 2 sqr mtrs of very wet carpet. As usual I explained I had reported this to reception numerous times. Finally this caused an escalation and some senior figures arrived and the hot air blowers were installed going for the next two days. BUT the toilet was finally fixed !! HOORAY.

Part 3 tomorrow.

The Toilet episode. Cabin 4045

Having arrived on the Majesty @ 6.15 am. The cooked breakfast was very welcome all I wanted was hot food, fed up with sandwiches and snacks in 16hrs.

Went to bed at 7:30am woke to find the toilet blocked, went to reception and they said they would get a plumber to resolve as soon as possible. Plumber eventually fixed later that day, but the same problem occurred again and again. I counted 10 times over a period of 4 days to resolve. Came/fixed and later flushing would flood the bathroom.

I gave up on Tuesday and each time I reported usually a 4 hour wait to have resolved. They started to accuse me of putting foreign objects down the loo, why would anyone do that...

Anyway 4am in the morning having slept through constant overflowing of the loo I went to deck 5 to use the loo. Only to find all loo's closed for cleaning, They asked why are you not using the toilet in your cabin. To which I said "I forgot to bring our wellingtons. Immediately they came @ 4.15am to fix.

Sleep at last. Woke up later to the usual running water again. The toilet really seemed to have a mind of its own. Went to reception to file complaint number 10 before going to breakfast. Return to cabin to find the housekeepers saying "What have you done?" The flooding had now gone into the corridor, I guess 2 sqr mtrs of very wet carpet. As usual I explained I had reported this to reception numerous times. Finally this caused an escalation and some senior figures arrived and the hot air blowers were installed going for the next two days. BUT the toilet was finally fixed !! HOORAY.

Part 3 tomorrow.

If the toilet pipework is in a 'stack' through the decks maybe having Ladies and Gents public toilets 2 decks directly above you has something to do with the problem.

Correct, we were in 445 just along the corridor and my son and his girlfriend were in 4029 which has ladies and gents on the floors above. They had problems the week before but they were OK the week you had problems. I did see the sheets and blower outside your door.

I complained on behalf of my son and got £75.00 put back into my onboard account. I must be honest, Thomson sorted out the problem after the second flood very efficiently but my Son was also questioned about what they had put down the toilet!

Hi RU Deaf - unbeknowingly we were obviously opposite you in cabin 447. Our kids were in 4043 next to you!

We returned early this morning after a two week cruise where the return journey had elements of farce akin to the Luton Airport fiasco of July 24th.

Your assessment of that wet Friday in Luton is as I recall it now, the £5 food voucher for a 7.5 hour delay being somewhat short of Thomson's own stated compensation (it should have been a full meal for each person travelling) so we'll see how that is received by Thomson.

Yes the problem was the weather radar, but the problem started because the captain couldn't get to Luton by the appointed take off time, and then having failed to repair the problem I see no reason why said part took apparently four hours to get to Luton from Gatwick! It was still being installed when we boarded at 10.40pm!

By the time we boarded at 5.30am we were too tired to even take the clingfilm off the sandwiches that were offered.

We didn't experience quite as many plumbing problems although the water temperatures were unpredictable and it was at times bizarre to experience the toilet working 10 minutes after the button was pushed!

Coming home yesterday started with the utmost pleasure of Corfu Airport, a place not fit for any human. We are instantly told there would be a 1.5 hour delay (so at least 6 hours better than the outbound experience), and furthermore that Thomson would not be operating the flight. Titan Airways stepped up. Sadly despite the delay the airline were not inclined to offer a free non alcoholic refreshment on board because the delay wasn't of their making. Well, it sure as hell wasn't caused by me.............................!!! Not impressed.

Corfu Airport is not a place to spend time, the staff there are officious, the air conditioning is non existent and seating areas way short of what's needed.

The cruise was great, loved the Majesty and the way we were served and treated by everyone on board. What a shame that plane flights were necessary to top and tail a lovely holiday. Cruising from Southampton next year I think and that's a sad indictment of what the Majesty provided.

• 3 weeks later...

The recommended letter was very good and actually referred to the test case for delays which was against TUI under which the rule of 400 Euros per person compensation was established for delays beyond a certain limit.............and ours most certainly was longer than that!

No response within the requested 14 day period. Should I be surprised?

Strangely the longer this goes on the more irritated I am with it. This delay cost us money and meant we lost nearly half a day of our holiday caching up with our sleep, and that's not acceptable.

If I treated my clients like this I wouldn't have a business.

Good luck Deep Thinking Fish.

I logged a complaint to thomson on the 3rd August. They said we will endeavour to respond with 28 days. We are getting very close to that and if they dont, I will again approach Thomson complaints again and give them 14 days then thinking go to small claims court. Any suggestions welcome please?

That's good to know RU Deaf, thanks for the update. You're on exactly the same approach as we are, but we're a week behind as I guess you came home after the Italian Job cruise? We stuck around for the Adriatic week.

My theory is as per yours. I have had no acknowledgement from Thomson whatsoever but will be firing off a slightly more direct response in a couple of weeks, perfectly prepared thereafter to follow that if needs be with solicitors letters and/or claims court.

Which and other websites have set letters for such circumstances and are categorical on your legal position so you can take their advice with confidence I would say.

I should have clarified, I sent a letter - a slightly modified version from one of the web sites - and haven't had a reply. The letter referred to the specific TUI case that they lost which resulted in this compensation precedent.

Good luck RU Deaf - keep me up to date! I will likewise too.

Thank you Crusin Linda for prompting us for part 3.

Well, I am Mrs BBlind - Mr RUdeaf's better half!!

I am the one who knows where everything is when it is irrevicably lost!!!!

Part 3 of our cruise took us to Crotone. We didn't actually get to see much of the place itself, but as a family we don't go in for the pool on the ship much and the chidlings go a bit stir crazy if we don't get a good beach day on the trip so we decided to do it properly and take the organised excursion rather wandering off in search of a beach by ourselves. In theory this promised to be good - a private beach, lunch, swimming pool and all under the careful eye of our tour guide.

When we arrived the toilets were disgusting, there were no seats on the beach and the hotel was clearly not prepared for the invasion of some 50 guests. Luckily, someone phoned the ship and complained - oh the benefits of booking a trip with a well known tour and indeed tour company! Not only did the ship send out cleaners for the facilities, we got complimentary soft drinks and a total refund for the cost of the trip - result!! It turned out to be one of the best days out - the sea was great, so was lunch and not forgetting, all this was enhanced by our lovely tour guide for the day, Angela, and it wasn't even her day job!

All in all a great cruise - non of our experiences has put us off and we will consider travelling with Thompson again in the future.

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since this thread was activated, but having heard nothing from Thomson re: the flight fiasco of 24th July, I contacted the CAA, the problem of course being caused by Thomson Airways and not Thomson Cruises.

The CAA took up my case, advised me it may take 12 weeks to get an answer, and then lo-and-behold I received a very apologetic letter from Thomson Airways within six weeks with 4 x 400 Euros compensation.

I admit to being pleasantly surprised. and naturally would encourage all those who have a valid claim to progress through the relevant Authority and be prepared to wait.