Help - mixed reviews MSC Sinfonia from Venice - maybe NCL better?

Lou2204

So we found the perfect itinerary from Venice, timing is ok (aug 2018) and we even found 2 balconies with connecting doors for us and the teenagers for a reasonable price (I think? €6k on Fantastica, so will buy the all inclusive package as well for 600 euros)... almost ready to book, until I started reading the reviews here on Sinfonia ....

There are some very decidedly bad reviews for the ship, mostly concerning the food and the service. Seem to be most notable for the South African sailings, but also some for Europe.

Am in doubt now, should we go ahead and book, we had a terrific time on the Divina (ok granted we were YC) but how could the difference in experience be so huge within one cruise line ...?

NCL also seem to work a similar itinerary there, so I am wondering would that be a better option? But on my dates the price difference was €2k, but would it be worth it.

Anybody here with experience on this itinerary? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lou

Hi Dexx!! It was the Norwegian Star, which was 2k more expensive than the MSC - mind you without the drinks package we'd need to buy on MSC, the nett difference would be €1.400 (NCL more expensive than MSC).

Would it be worthwhile to spend the extra money for NCL, you think? We have never sailed with them before, and I know you are an expert ;)

Have a look our post on our experience on Sinfonia last year, loved it!http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...light=Sinfonia

I think you will find the experience a big change from YC though!

CruiseIreland thanks so much for sharing, very useful to read your review and the thread that follows. What struck me was the comment about the food being different on the longer cruises. That might explain the terrible reviews from the South Africans who seem to have taken the longer cruises. We are small eaters and totally not picky at all, so I suspect we'd be fine.

Will also check out the Poesia though to see the difference, I believe the itinerary didn't work as well for us. Really want to see Split and Dubrovnik!

Thanks again!

CruiseIreland thanks so much for sharing, very useful to read your review and the thread that follows. What struck me was the comment about the food being different on the longer cruises. That might explain the terrible reviews from the South Africans who seem to have taken the longer cruises. We are small eaters and totally not picky at all, so I suspect we'd be fine.

Will also check out the Poesia though to see the difference, I believe the itinerary didn't work as well for us. Really want to see Split and Dubrovnik!

Thanks again!

We did a Grand Voyage to Durban on Sinfonia 6 weeks after doing a 7 night East Med from Venice last year. The food offerings were much better on the 7 night cruise!

So we found the perfect itinerary from Venice, timing is ok (aug 2018) and we even found 2 balconies with connecting doors for us and the teenagers for a reasonable price (I think? €6k on Fantastica, so will buy the all inclusive package as well for 600 euros)... almost ready to book, until I started reading the reviews here on Sinfonia ....

There are some very decidedly bad reviews for the ship, mostly concerning the food and the service. Seem to be most notable for the South African sailings, but also some for Europe.

Am in doubt now, should we go ahead and book, we had a terrific time on the Divina (ok granted we were YC) but how could the difference in experience be so huge within one cruise line ...?

NCL also seem to work a similar itinerary there, so I am wondering would that be a better option? But on my dates the price difference was €2k, but would it be worth it.

Anybody here with experience on this itinerary? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lou

even free cruise will not make to go on NCL again. :rolleyes:

lol. Did you try NCL? ;p I did not like Celebrity as I thought I will but I don't mind to go with them again .

Never tried NCL - I find it very hard to consider anything other than MSC. :rolleyes:

I get tempted now and again but I strayed once - to Celebrity - and regretted it!

I've just read your previous post - I just wish those 24/7 baseball caps and shorts types would stay with those companies and not come onboard MSC ships and then bitch that attire of that nature is not acceptable in the MDRs.

There is nothing I would like about them. Starting from food , free style concept , cheap decor on ship , bad service and finishing with cruisers who is 24/ 7 in baseball hats and shorts .

That sounds like Carnival, are you sure you mean NCL :D.

We are Platinum on NCL and they are pretty much like any other mainstream cruise line we've sailed on.

Hi Dexx!! It was the Norwegian Star, which was 2k more expensive than the MSC - mind you without the drinks package we'd need to buy on MSC, the nett difference would be €1.400 (NCL more expensive than MSC).

Would it be worthwhile to spend the extra money for NCL, you think? We have never sailed with them before, and I know you are an expert ;)

You are probably just starting your weekend while the rest of us not quite yet.

We've sailed on the NCL Star twice and the Dawn (sister ship) once. If I were looking at the Star, I'd pick one of the rooms on 12 that is a suite that would accommodate the 4 of you. They are like category SG or SH. They don't have balconies but a large wall of windows. They were added back in 2010 or 2011 when they removed the front observation area and put in rooms.

Those rooms are fairly large, have curtain partitions, and are generally considered a deal for NCL suites. With that you'd get suite service and on that ship it means private restaurant for breakfast and lunch, butler, and concierge. The key things you get with that is priority tender service, treats in room, and a nicer coffee machine for pods. The Star just went through a rather extensive refurb two years ago I believe.

I can't comment as to the comparisons to the MSC ship though. The Star won't have a ton of things for your kids other than the kids club and main pool area.

We are Platinum on NCL and they are pretty much like any other mainstream cruise line we've sailed on.

I am very sure :') I actually don't mind CCL specially on longer cruises ,not my first choice but not a problem for us.

One other thing I meant to add is NCL for suites has been running the pick 4 promo that applies to pax 1-2 with 3 specialty dining meals, their version of unlimited drink package (no waters, coffee, can soda to name a few restrictions).

I'm not sure where you book out of but I understand the UK office is a bit different in terms of people not having to pay NCL the surcharge on the "value" of those packages like we do now in the States as of a few months ago. But I've also seen some reports of the UK pricing being higher than what people see in the States.

We sailed on Sinfonia Genoa to Durban in 2016. I enjoy the smaller ships and thought Sinfonia was a lovely ship. If the itinerary is what you want and you are not sure on the food quality in the main dining areas with MSC the extra 1400 would buy you plenty of food in the speciality restaurants!

What dates are you looking at? I just checked the 8/26/18 date and the suites on NCL Star are VERY reasonable. You can get the lowest category SJ for $4800 US for 4 (plus taxes and fees) all the way up to the DOS for $6100 US. They also have the Garden Villas available if you could convince 3 more people to go with you and split the cost for a once in a lifetime room experience.

We did a Grand Voyage to Durban on Sinfonia 6 weeks after doing a 7 night East Med from Venice last year. The food offerings were much better on the 7 night cruise!

Thanks Bea, that does put my mind at rest a bit ...

What dates are you looking at? I just checked the 8/26/18 date and the suites on NCL Star are VERY reasonable. You can get the lowest category SJ for $4800 US for 4 (plus taxes and fees) all the way up to the DOS for $6100 US. They also have the Garden Villas available if you could convince 3 more people to go with you and split the cost for a once in a lifetime room experience.

That week indeed looked better, but that's when school is starting again, so we looked at 8/18 or 19... will do a double check tomorrow, but could it be that it is cha

We looked at that date as well but I believe school starts that week, so we would need the 18/9 of August dates. I will double check tomorrow. Could it be that rates from the US are better than from Europe?

The dresscode remark is spot on.

In June on Ncl Epic, I saw a family on specialty restaurant Moderno with daisy dukes and tank tops.

Also saw a couple wearing swimsuits and shorts being angry at the Le Bistro hostess because she didnt let them in.

It didn't spoil my fun but it does give a cheap atmosphere to the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The ncl dresscode remark is spot on.

Saw several people in shorts on specialty restaurants and a little fight at the entrance of Le Bistro because a couple in swimsuits was denied.

Didnt spoil my fun but it gives a cheap atmosphere to the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums