Best Driving Route from LA to SF.

"Best" in what way? Time? Traffic? Scenery? Those issues conflict.

To avoid tolls, you either need Hwy 101 all the way, or Hwy 5 to Hwy 152 over to 101, then to SF. keep in mind, the only toll from LA to SF is the Bay Bridge toll, avoided by the route I described.

Edited by CruiserBruce

• 3 weeks later...

I used to do this drive 5-6 times a year

Fastest IMHO is I5 to 580 in, depending on time of the year 152 can be the worst of times. The fastest and most boring of the options.

For the best views and fun places to stop the coastal route is the best but plan for a whole day versus about 5 and half to 6 hours for the I5 route.

Hi.

I'll be driving up from LA on Monday June 1st and would like the best route. Also, would like to avoid the tolls. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance!

I'd gladly pay a toll to avoid the dullness that is I5.

I'd gladly pay a toll to avoid the dullness that is I5.

As I mentioned in my first post, the way to avoid a toll is driving Hwy 101. But it adds almost 2 hours. We usually drive Hwy 101 it at least one way on our trips.

Edited by CruiserBruce

As I mentioned in my first post, the way to avoid a toll is driving Hwy 101. But it adds almost 2 hours. We usually drive Hwy 101 it at least one way on our trips.

I know. I was trying to make the point that 'best' in many ways is subjective. I5 is fast, I5 is beyond dull. A first time visitor to California? 101 for sure.

I agree with the poster above....unless you literally have ALL DAY, don't take 101...the $5 bay bridge toll is worth the hours it will save you....take 5 North to 580 West...and be sure to stop at Andersen's Spit Pea Soup on Hwy 5- Delicious!!

Not sure what the worry about tolls are but the cost of tolls for the bridge or two you could travel is far less than the difference in gas between driving the speed limit and what everyone will do on I5 :D

Speed --> I5

Beauty and fun --> 101

Been driving between all my life. Don't recall any tolls! Not an issue to me. 101 has so much to stop at and see, plus you're sometimes on the coast, which is very pretty. Traffic is generally not bad (although Santa Barbara often slow). Take 280 out of San Francisco, which blends in to 101 in San Jose. 280 is very scenic. Or you could take Highway 1 out of San Francisco, the coast road, and cut over to 101 around San Juan Bautista. 5 is straight, not scenic. Maybe now there are some sad closing farmlands because of the drought. 5 does have a giant cattle feedlot, and some people don't like the smell, about halfway down. It's Harris Ranch and they have a restaurant with nice sort of gourmet food. But 101 goes back in places to the times of the padres and there is a lot to see and some historic things.

Been driving between all my life. Don't recall any tolls! Not an issue to me. 101 has so much to stop at and see, plus you're sometimes on the coast, which is very pretty. Traffic is generally not bad (although Santa Barbara often slow). Take 280 out of San Francisco, which blends in to 101 in San Jose. 280 is very scenic. Or you could take Highway 1 out of San Francisco, the coast road, and cut over to 101 around San Juan Bautista. 5 is straight, not scenic. Maybe now there are some sad closing farmlands because of the drought. 5 does have a giant cattle feedlot, and some people don't like the smell, about halfway down. It's Harris Ranch and they have a restaurant with nice sort of gourmet food. But 101 goes back in places to the times of the padres and there is a lot to see and some historic things.

Whoops! Well, just reverse what I said above. It still applies, my opinion of the drive.

• 4 weeks later...

You don't need to go the whole way on 101. Simply cut off the 5 at the 152 to Gilroy and get onto the 5. A bit slower than 580, but it does avoid all tolls into San Francisco.

• 2 months later...

We just did this drive on Sunday from LA to SF, up I-5, then 152W, then 101N, 280N only because we live in the suburb along 280.

Not sure what the final verdict, but depending on what time one goes through the toll, I think it's no more than $6.