left behind!

yes you would get left behind...they wont hold up 1500 other passengers and disrupt their schedule if people are not onboard by sailing time (maybe if you have a really really good reason maybe just maybe? they may wait a little time)

google 'cruise ship runners' to see what happens

Would you really get left behind if you were late back. I'm worried if anything goes wrong the ship would sail without us. Obviously I would give myself lots of time but it is a worry to me.

I'm afraid so.

You may be very lucky and they would hold on for a short while if you had notified the ship of a problem and eta which isn't much later than when you should be on board but basically the cruise lines pay a great deal of money for berthing and they won't be inclined to pay for longer for passengers who can't get back in time. Additionally they will often be paying for the pilot and they are booked for a specific time. And if passengers just haven't arrived, how long should the ship wait? Also the ship might be on a tight schedule to get to the next port and will incur the displeasure of guests if they are late arriving next day to say nothing of the logistics of arranged excursions etc. Having to sail faster uses more fuel too so for many reasons the ship basically is unlikely to wait.

I'm sure we've all been on excursions when certain passengers don't observe the courtesy towards the rest of the party of getting back to the coach on time. If there has been an accident - OK but we've seen people stroll up completely unconcerned that they are a quarter of an hour late - they are usually treated to a round of sarcastic applause when they get on the bus but it is quite disrespectful of fellow guests as it may mean a shortened call at the next attraction on the schedule. Some people sadly just want to do what they want to do ('l wanted to look at something in that shop') never mind everyone else sitting on the bus waiting for them.

Keeping the ship waiting is merely taking it a step further - and believe me if they thought the ship would wait, some would take advantage of that.

We've seen the ship wait for a while and we've also been on board when the ship has sailed without passengers. It's then their responsibility to get to the next port.

I can see that you would take a responsible approach and I can only advise to always leave a good margin to get back.

Some places it's very easy - you may just be able to walk off the ship to the attractions and therefore get back quickly. If you are doing a trip yourself - go early and come back early. If it's a port where DiY would cause you some concern about frequency or reliability of transport and/or distance from the port then I'd suggest perhaps doing such a trip with Thomson.

But I would also say it's not something which happens often. All those people on board, all those ports of call and very very unusual for anyone to not make it back. So with a sensible approach then I'm sure you don't need to be concerned. Everybody else makes it back so I'm sure you will too!

Edited by kruzseeka

It may be a touch of OCD, but we would rather make sure we are back on board even an hour before the time specified.

Kruzseeka, I know what you mean about some people holding the excursion coach up. We have noticed it seems to be always the same people holding everyone else up after every stop. No sense of social courtesy.

We left a couple behind on the Virgin Islands on a Destiny cruise. We waited some time while the checked with the police, hospitals etc etc. Then the couples passports and valuables were collected from the cabin, Itemized and sealed in an envelope and passed to the port agent. The agent will then assist the unfortunates in their onward journey.

It turned out well, they had set their watches to the wrong time!. Luckily there was a local air service to La Romana so they were waiting for the ship when we arrived. :)

Allow plenty of time to get back to the ship and if at all in doubt take a ships excursion. They will wait for you then as it is a contractual obligation :)

Its an awful feeling thinking you are going to be left behind. We went on our own to the Abba Museum in Stockholm last year. Coming out, we couldn't get a taxi because of road works. Eventually, the hotel next to the museum called a taxi which then got stuck in traffic in the centre of Stockholm. We could see the ship in the distance and didn't know whether to just get out and run. My stomach was in absolute knots. We made it - just. Never again!

Sandie

The ship waited for someone in at kitts last year but this is because the taxi controller was there an the man was in one if their taxis. However they do not normally wait for you so we always ensure that we are right by the ship at least 1hour before it sails

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seen it happen in Civettiavechi (spelling wrong i know !!) , with a couple running along the Quay side - they got on-board but it cost them €250 for a Taxi from Rome i believe , get on board a bit before and have a cold beer , always good after a long excusrion on the heat (especially a 10 hour walking tour of Rome in July !! - wife still casts that up to me !!!)

:)

We were on board in Eidjford in Norway watching as the Spirit prepared to sail away, and the chap at the ramp took the hand gel in and we thought we were away, then the gel came back out again and they waited and waited, then 6 coaches came in. That is it we thought, but no, there were another 3 coaches to arrive. They do wait for their own tours to get in. We were over an hour late sailing, and missed a lot of the fiords because we had arranged to be on the same table in the MDR at a certain time - fixed dining not for us in future no matter how good the waiters are.

• 2 weeks later...

They only wait so long for the flights. When we sailed from Barbados last, the flight from Birmingham was so delayed we sailed without them. They were finally flown onto Curacao which was the first port of call, but at least that was all sorted by Thomson. One of the benefits of buying the whole package.

Sweby

We have become a bit more independent over recent times, hence we just did Istanbul and Athens by ourselves (having picked up some gen off here and Facebook :) ) but I think it boils down to where you want to go. If the place is local, and can be reached easily, then try independent if you are happy to go. Just make sure you are aware of when you sail, and we usually left a few hours leeway even though we weren't far away. As far as something more complicated or distant, we still prefer to go via the operator excursion. Yes, it will be more expensive, but it will mean the ship will wait for you if something unexpected happens to delay your return.

There are lots of very funny videos on YouTube of people almost missing the ships and running along the port side watched by hundreds of passengers ! Also dangerous sea transfers of people who hired boatmen to take them to a sailing ship! :D