Carnival not contacting folks re itinerary changes

LC1968

I was dismayed that the way I found out about changes on my upcoming cruise was through being subscribed to the CruiseCritic roll call for my sailing. I've been reading the roll call boards for the Miracle's sailings to Alaska and Hawaii, and many people who booked directly with Carnival received no notice from the company. When I called Carnival's 800 number to clarify, I told them that I never received an email, and the rep insisted that their computer said it had sent out a mass email on the itinerary changes; but I checked all my folders, including junk and trash, and I received nothing.

Are they banking on people not knowing about the itinerary changes and propulsion issues until it's too late to do anything about it? I wonder why my giving them a headsup didn't prompt a second attempt to email people, or why they don't send them a letter by post . . .

I have not been notified either about itinerary changes. This also happened to me last May on a Mediterranean cruise. I understand the need for the changes and have no problem with that, but would appreciate some kind of notification. I'd much rather hear from Carnival about changes to my vacation than to stumble across the info on the Internet message boards 26 days from sailing.

Are they banking on people not knowing about the itinerary changes and propulsion issues until it's too late to do anything about it?

I think if that were the case, they wouldn't have sent the email to anyone.

If you did not book directly, your TA will get the notice. Also, I stopped using the email address on my Carnival account over a decade ago and have not been able to update it, so they may be emailing you at the wrong address. Finally, log into look at your sailing often. There is a lot of info there.

After our Sunshine mess(we didn't get an email and it took days to get anyone on the phone), we booked the September Hawaii trip and again didn't get an email. So anyway after calling them this time we were told the "booking agent" didn't have an email listed for us, funny because we booked direct with Carnival and they send us excursion emails and confirmation emails all the time, go figure.

We are not canceling but I guess a company that will sail a ship with the "check engine" light on for 9 to 10 months shouldn't be expected to know how computers and the internet works either.

Not trashing Carnival but I sure do find it funny.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Try the cruise line not telling you your entire cruise has been chartered. Happened to me on my December 2012 cruise on Celebrity. No one called or emailed me. Saw it on here and called them immediately. We had 2 connecting Concierge Class large, angled balconies for me and DH, DS in the other. There are very few of those on the ship. We booked almost a year in advance. When I asked the CS rep why we weren't notified, she said we should have been one of the firsts because of how far in advance we booked. I doubt they would have ever let me know.

So stuff happens, not just here on Carnival.

After our Sunshine mess(we didn't get an email and it took days to get anyone on the phone), we booked the September Hawaii trip and again didn't get an email. So anyway after calling them this time we were told the "booking agent" didn't have an email listed for us, funny because we booked direct with Carnival and they send us excursion emails and confirmation emails all the time, go figure.

We are not canceling but I guess a company that will sail a ship with the "check engine" light on for 9 to 10 months shouldn't be expected to know how computers and the internet works either.

Not trashing Carnival but I sure do find it funny.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My check engine light was on for 7 months on the car, and finally I had to get towed home, I would not like it if the ship was at the point of no return between the mainland and Hawaii, and it shuddered and came to a grinding halt.

Our Bahamas cruise last year had an itinerary change and we were emailed immediately, and two years before, we were moved out of Mobile, and I read about it here first, but within minutes heard from Carnival. Perhaps the inability to communicate with patrons, might be addressed to a higher up, like the Prez.

Very few people vacation on airplanes.

But they use airplanes on vacation, getting to cruises etc.

DD had a great ride scheduled home from college. After she booked it her 2 hour layover became 9. She found the change when putting in her frequent flyer number. No notification from the airline. Unfortunately no other routing was good for her.

So if anyone can tell me what she can do in Portland OR for her 6 hours of free time with luggage I'd greatly appreciate it.

We have had our itinerary changed twice and both times we were immediately emailed the info. Once for our Hawaii Cruise and once for our upcoming Freedom cruise. I got the email both times before I heard about it anywhere else.

I found out about the itinerary change on my roll call too. I do not understand why Carnival cannot seem to get it together. I understand things happen and changes have to be made, but why are they able to email some people and not others???

I booked directly through Carnival, have been on several cruises and always get emails from them telling me its time to pay for my cruise or emails selling me stuff, so whats the problem sending me important information.

I then had to call Carnival 3 times, yes 3 times to get the email letter. The first time the lady said I should have gotten it, made sure my email was correct and resent it to me. Nope, the next call they checked my email and somehow between the 1st call and this one (about an hour apart) my email was changed to something else. So she fixed it and said she sent me the email. Well she only sent me the new itinerary, not the email letter from the company stating what the problem was and what they were offering.

Third call, took a very long time and finally got an email with an attachment of the letter that originally went out. Glad to finally get that letter, but it took me several calls and a very long time on the phone.

Now I am kind of hacked. Silly thing is I would be disappointed, but not mad or frustrated if Carnival would have treated me properly and sent it to me when they sent it to everyone else.

I will probably still go on the cruise, but am concerned about mechanical problems. Its a bummer missing ketchican but I will deal with that.

Well, I just cancelled and am in the process of booking on Princess, leaving July 13th. The cruise actually costs a little less because they are having a sale, there's like $200 in onboard credit free, and they are not having propulsion issues. I think this was a good choice since, as people have pointed out, Alaska is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for many people (including me, I would think).

Edited by LC1968

I was dismayed that the way I found out about changes on my upcoming cruise was through being subscribed to the CruiseCritic roll call for my sailing. I've been reading the roll call boards for the Miracle's sailings to Alaska and Hawaii, and many people who booked directly with Carnival received no notice from the company. When I called Carnival's 800 number to clarify, I told them that I never received an email, and the rep insisted that their computer said it had sent out a mass email on the itinerary changes; but I checked all my folders, including junk and trash, and I received nothing.

Are they banking on people not knowing about the itinerary changes and propulsion issues until it's too late to do anything about it? I wonder why my giving them a headsup didn't prompt a second attempt to email people, or why they don't send them a letter by post . . .

Do you think they have your email or the correct email address? This could be one issue, or maybe the system they use is not as good as they think.

But they use airplanes on vacation, getting to cruises etc.

DD had a great ride scheduled home from college. After she booked it her 2 hour layover became 9. She found the change when putting in her frequent flyer number. No notification from the airline. Unfortunately no other routing was good for her.

So if anyone can tell me what she can do in Portland OR for her 6 hours of free time with luggage I'd greatly appreciate it.

Check her luggage through and take the max to downtown Portland. Or rent a car and go to multnomah falls a half hour from pdx and go hike.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Well, I just cancelled and am in the process of booking on Princess, leaving July 13th. The cruise actually costs a little less because they are having a sale, there's like $200 in onboard credit free, and they are not having propulsion issues. I think this was a good choice since, as people have pointed out, Alaska is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for many people (including me, I would think).

I would imagine there are some good bargains out there right now. People should price out their alternatives, and may get the ports they want on a functional ship for an equal or lesser amount, pitting their refund against the rebooking.