Solo rates on Celebrity Transatlantic sailings?

KimikoPi

Hello,

I'm able to do "last minute" transatlantic crossings from Europe/England to the U.S., but my husband cannot always get enough time off to accompany me. I really want to try a Celebrity TA cruise. Has anyone ever had luck getting the single supplement waived on a TA or at least a very low supplement near to the sail date?

And sorry if this has already been asked in this forum. I cannot see a Search tool for searching threads in a specific forum.

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm able to do "last minute" transatlantic crossings from Europe/England to the U.S., but my husband cannot always get enough time off to accompany me. I really want to try a Celebrity TA cruise. Has anyone ever had luck getting the single supplement waived on a TA or at least a very low supplement near to the sail date?

And sorry if this has already been asked in this forum. I cannot see a Search tool for searching threads in a specific forum.

Thanks!

Hi,:) I have not done a TransAtlantic (yet) but I have been sailing

with Celebrity for many years. It is probably not what you want to

hear but it really depends on supply and demand. Sometimes the

prices can go down but if the cruise is selling fast? There is also

the chance of not going down or actually going up.......as for the

SS being waived? That would be slim to none. They do offer Tuesdsay

specials and sometimes the SS are lower but you never know which

cruises will be listed.

I will say I have seen decent rates on TA's before though so it is

really just "trial and error".

I've done a couple of Celebrity TAs and got great deals. Really, it doesn't matter what the supplement is, you need to look at the total price and compare that. This week a few eastbound TAs were on the Tuesday sale and had great deals. Just watch the Tuesday sales and check the Celebrity site and/or online travel agent site after final payment date--when I'm looking for a cruise I check daily because you never know when they will have a flash sale.

I would have booked one this week from the Tuesday sale except that I want to lose weight before I get back on a cruise ship! :)

I've done a couple of Celebrity TAs and got great deals. Really, it doesn't matter what the supplement is, you need to look at the total price and compare that. This week a few eastbound TAs were on the Tuesday sale and had great deals. Just watch the Tuesday sales and check the Celebrity site and/or online travel agent site after final payment date--when I'm looking for a cruise I check daily because you never know when they will have a flash sale.

I would have booked one this week from the Tuesday sale except that I want to lose weight before I get back on a cruise ship! :)

HaHaHa!!! I am the exact same way. I lose the same 10 to 15 pounds every year BUT I have to wait until about two months before my cruise or trip to the beach. So the first day of my cruise or beach vacation I'm the size I want to be BUT within a couple of months I'm back to where I was. I do NOT think I could book a last minute cruise just for that reason.

HaHaHa!!! I am the exact same way. I lose the same 10 to 15 pounds every year BUT I have to wait until about two months before my cruise or trip to the beach. So the first day of my cruise or beach vacation I'm the size I want to be BUT within a couple of months I'm back to where I was. I do NOT think I could book a last minute cruise just for that reason.

Forgot to add that I will be looking for a decent rate on a fall TA once the final payment dates pass on a couple I have looked at. I hope I can find one for less than the $3,200 they're going for right now. I know prices can also go way UP. I'll still have a couple of months to diet after final payment date.

Hello,

I haven't tried getting the supplement waived, but fares can often go way down right after final payment. Looking at the April TA on the Constellation, and the solo fare for a balcony room is $1900 for 15 nights. To me, it doesn't matter that it's 200%, it's a great fare for the trip. If I can work the airfare and a few nights in Amsterdam out to be the right price (for me), I'm jumping!

Hi Laura! :) Hope your booking works out and that you have a great cruise.

If you're booking something last minute (after final payment), it's usually the "guarantee" rates that are drastically reduced. I wanted to point out that often the guarantee prices don't show up on Celebrity's website when you enter only 1 guest. Don't ask me why, it's so discriminatory. You need a travel agent to get that rate for you.

Not sure if I'm making sense... basically, say you look at a sailing on the Celebrity website and the interior category says "starting at $750". If you enter 2 people, you'll see the option of a guarantee cabin at $1,500 (for 2), plus all the categories where you can pick a specific room at a higher price. But if you enter 1 person, that guarantee cabin won't show up and you'll just see, for example, category 10 at $2,200. I guess because they're selling a cabin dirt cheap (to them), they want to avoid having only one spender in that cabin to make it worse for them.

It's not so much that the single "supplement" will be gone after final payment, but the prices will be more affordable for a solo passenger. Personally I don't expect to pay half the cost of a cabin because I'm alone, just like I'd never expect to pay half the listed rate for a hotel room. I wish Celebrity had some studio cabins, but that's another issue. Don't look at it as paying for 2, consider it paying for a cabin. Find a cabin that is affordable to you and try not to think about what others are paying.

I don't know the reason, but Celebrity pricing is totally whacko. I have friends who would like to join me on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, but they're on a tight budget. Believe it or not, we're three weeks out and the prices are going UP, not down. I know it's all about revenue management, but nothing is set in stone as far as pricing is concerned. I did one trans Atlantic on Celebrity, and again, as the cruise got closer, the prices went up for many of the categories. I guess it's a matter of just looking, and if you see a price that looks good, jump on it.

Been on 6 X TAs, several solo. They do not waive SS but 50% addon is common above already cheap double rate.I amost exclusively cruise X, lately they seem to do a reduction on various itins maybe 6-7 mos. out, then go back up. Fall TAs seem lower priced than Spring. Check out Celebrity Xciting deals and watch for date of final payment. Usually see reductions a few weeks before that final pay date. Inside cabins fine as nothing but dark water out there.

Never prebook. I sat down with an X shipboard agent. He knew nothing and just offered the overpriced rack rates. Use a large discount cruise only agency or Celebity Xciting deals which have offered a 50% SS online Tuesdays.Love the TAs. I consider them the ultimate getaway.

• 2 weeks later...

Whjen you guys refer to the "Tuesday specials," are they on the Celebrity website? I would love to do a solo TA!

Hi Celeste, nope, they are not on the website. It is a link that comes

out every week. Royal has them too.

I have it on my key but for some reason I can't get it to copy and paste

here correctly:eek:

If you want to email me? I can attach it to an email and send it to you:)

lo1958@hotmail.com

Edited by Lois R