Transport from airport to port canaveral and car hire questions

Hi fellow CC's

My DH and 2 kids (8 and 5) will be sailing on the FOS next March. We fly in to Orlando from London on the Saturday afternoon and plan to stay overnight at the Hyatt at the Airport and then get a private car / van to take the 4 of us plus (at least) 4 large cases to the ship the next morning.

Q1. Can anyone recommend a company? We only need one way as we are renting a car from Port Canaveral Avis when we disembark to drive to Disney for a 5 nights. And what is approx cost?

Q2. We are booked in a suite so hopefully have priority embarkation. What time should we get picked up from the hotel? I was thinking 11am. Does this sound about right? I think we set sail at 4.30pm.

Q3. Does anyone know how far the AVIS office is from where the ship docks? A taxi ride or a walk away? It is 6650 North Atlantic Ave.

Many Thanks

Leanne :)

Hi fellow CC's

My DH and 2 kids (8 and 5) will be sailing on the FOS next March. We fly in to Orlando from London on the Saturday afternoon and plan to stay overnight at the Hyatt at the Airport and then get a private car / van to take the 4 of us plus (at least) 4 large cases to the ship the next morning.

Q1. Can anyone recommend a company? We only need one way as we are renting a car from Port Canaveral Avis when we disembark to drive to Disney for a 5 nights. And what is approx cost?

Q2. We are booked in a suite so hopefully have priority embarkation. What time should we get picked up from the hotel? I was thinking 11am. Does this sound about right? I think we set sail at 4.30pm.

Q3. Does anyone know how far the AVIS office is from where the ship docks? A taxi ride or a walk away? It is 6650 North Atlantic Ave.

Many Thanks

We have used Avis many times for one-way rentals from the Orlando airport to Port Canaveral. The Avis office in Cocoa Beach has a free shuttle to the port. If you drive to the Avis office in Cocoa Beach and arrive about 10:30am, they will have you to the terminal by 11am. There is a gas station at a 7-Eleven just north of the Avis office.

The cost of the rental will vary with type of vehicle. If you want to be sure to fit all your bags and passengers comfortably, a minivan might be the best choice. The cost for us for a minivan is about $80 per day, plus the cost of fuel and freeway tolls. The freeway toll from Orlando to Cocoa Beach is about $6.

Thanks Bob but we get the car after the cruise. I need to get from the airport hotel to the ship. Will Avis collect us by shuttle after the cruise to pick up our rental if I arrange it with the? I have already booked a 7 Seater car through them.

Yes, the Avis shuttle runs continuously. You might have to wait 15 minutes or so if the shuttle has just left.

Why not use Avis on the way to the port also? Having the car that evening will make it easier to got to a store, restaurant, etc.

I would have pick up at 10:00. We stayed at the Hyatt in the airport a couple years ago and loved it. We used Ace Luxury Transportation and were very pleased. We had 2 adults and 2 toddlers (with booster seats) with a town car.

I am doing the same thing as you on an upcoming cruise on FOS in August.

I use Mears Transport. They are very popular in the Orlando area. I have used them many times. For this trip an executive SUV from the Florida Hotel (Same distance as MCO) to port Canaveral is $180.

We have our pick up time booked for 10.30 am. We are also in a suite so hopefully there is some kind of priority boarding.

WE stay at the Florida Hotel because it is adjoining the Florida Mall. The hotel Lobby is part of the mall. Great to do some pre Cruise shopping. I see the Virgin airlines crew there many times. That is their overnight hotel.

We did something similar, but since the port is not over close to the airport, we chose to stay closer to the port and rented a car from the airport with drop off by the cruise port. We stayed at the Radisson and rented from Hertz because it was two blocks from the hotel. The price was so much cheaper than getting hiring a car to drive us. Plus we found that many cruisers were also at the Radisson so we met quite a few people before even boarding.

But if you really want a car service, you can try Go Shuttle. I don't know if they do hotel pick ups, but I know they do airport pick ups and will drop off at the port. It said a town car for 4 people would be $150.

Much more convenient to rent a car to get to PC. You can go have a nice dinner at Fishlips and watch the other ships leave the evening before. Also, It makes you an hour closer in the morning when you start your real vacation. We always stay at the Radisson. If you do stay in Orlando I would have the car pick you up by 10. You should be able to board. We used Travelynx last time and would NOT recommend them.

Thanks. I like the sound of the hotel next to the mall but the flight doesn't land till 6pm on sat and if we need to leave at 10am on the Sunday it doesn't leave me much shopping time (I guess I could dump hubby and the kids in the hotel and leave him to feed, bath and get them in to bed while I get a couple of hours shopping in - is it open till late on a sat night???!!!)

We used travelynx.com from airport hotel to the port (large comfortable,clean van..we were the only passengers on our particular trip) and also used them from port to airporton return (full-size, comfortable bus which was about two thirds full, so lot of room). Service was cordial and drivers were prompt and efficient. Cost for two passengers in April,2013 was $100 round trip. We were very happy and would use them again.

I have also used travelynx. They were very good both ways; they even called me in my cabin to tell me they were outside on the pier; but to take my time leaving the ship and clearing customs; said they would be waiting.

We paid for 14 people (private van) and we had a couple no shows. They started piling extra people in our van. AND they paid too. I objected and the driver said I needed to contact the office. I did and they basically said too bad.

Thanks. I like the sound of the hotel next to the mall but the flight doesn't land till 6pm on sat and if we need to leave at 10am on the Sunday it doesn't leave me much shopping time (I guess I could dump hubby and the kids in the hotel and leave him to feed' date=' bath and get them in to bed while I get a couple of hours shopping in - is it open till late on a sat night???!!!)[/quote']

Yes the Mall should be open pretty late on a Saturday. If you are arriving on Virgin I always see the crew put down bags and hit the mall. Google The Florida Mall. You will see a map of all the shops and the hotel. It is a really nice and convenient set up.

Hi fellow CC's

Many Thanks

Most of the Car rentals have free shuttlles to/from ships

which is 1-3 miles away.

Hyatt is 45 minutes to Port.

A private minivan for 4 w/ luggage is $110

with Executive vip limo.

Archived