Norwegian Getaway This Weekend 8/2 and The Storm

sc978303

So I know this is something many of you veterans may know a thing or two about, but since this is only my third cruise I figured I would look for a little insight. My Fiance and I are leaving on the Getaway this Saturday 8/2 for our honeymoon. I know that is is pretty rare for a cruise line to cancel a cruise, they usually just re-rout the cruise. Since there is a storm heading right for the Virgin Islands and that is right where we are headed it looks like the odds are high to have a re-routed cruise. Do any of you know some typical ports that the ship may visit. Also, if this has happened to anyone else how does NCL notify you or do they notify you. I appreciate any insight you may have. If any of you have had this happened to you before, is there any other information I should know or prepare for?

Keep an eye on general updates on the NEWS page here.

Follow NCL.com

Make sure NCL has both of your cell numbers and email.

BUT - I just looked at the national weather service and there are no tropical storms right now, but one may develop. I would put pretty good money that you will not be impacted.

If it's tropical storm Genevieve that you are watching, the forecast for the moment shows it not very strong and dying by Monday... and not near any land mass on its present or projected track. Maybe all that will be correct.

I was on the Jewel during Hurricane Sandy. The storm was hitting the Bahamas while we were supposed to be there. A lot of last-minute routing changes had to be done and the captain and crew were monitoring the situation continuously and kept us updated as and when they knew anything. While we did end up in Norfolk, VA of all places I still felt very safe and well-informed the whole time.

Hope all goes well for your trip, happy and safe cruising!

In 2010, we were on the Epic and we went right through Tropical Storm Bonnie. It delayed our docking in Nassau by 3 hours. They had announced that we were skipping Nassau then a couple of hours later we were docking.

We were boarding the Gem in 2011 when we were notified that we were not going to Bermuda due to a hurricane. They diverted us to Port Canaveral and Great Stirup Cay.

It just depends on the strength of the storm, but I don't think they would cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In Aug 2010 we were doing b2b Western & Eastern Caribbean on the Epic.

First week we went West and had great time and weather. During the cruise we eyed a hurricane forming off Eastern Caribbean and said we're in for a ride ... or we'd return to West again. Lo and behold when we docked in Miami we were handed a letter informing we'd be returning to the West - we didn't mind - we had 2nd week of fantastic weather and calm seas again.

We'd rather repeat than have rough seas, winds and RAIN!!

We live in the Hurricane Alley, and know it's no fun going to the beach or out on boat when it's rough, rainy and windy, even when there is no hurricane.

When a hurricane is coming our way (either a direct hit or a brush-by), the high surf reaches Bermuda a few days before the hurricane itself .... and we get small craft warnings.

The Captain will never steer the ship into heavy storms or hurricane, so you OP will be fine.

ENJOY your wedding and honeymoon! Congratulations!!

Edited by bluesea777

It looks like you're talking about 93L

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2014/Invest-93L?map=model

The prediction

...the disturbance will arrive in the northeast Lesser Antilles Islands on Friday evening, move over Puerto Rico on Saturday evening, and approach the Southeast Bahamas and Turks and Caicos Islands on Sunday evening.

snipped from http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2741

So my totally uneducated guess would say that it's doubtful you'll miss any of your scheduled ports. The Captain/NCL may decide to take a more northerly route than usual to avoid rain and/or choppy seas, but I don't think they will make that decision until you're underway.

Thanks for the insight I am actually quite excited at the possibility of not knowing where we might end up if the course changes. We are not easy going and know we will have fun wherever we end up. My biggest concern is that they don't try to just keep course and I have to spend the trip in a storm I would rather go west if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were notified by phone (robo call) when our Sky cruise was rerouted a few years ago. I would check your contact info and make sure your cell phone is the first number listed as they called our home phone. Luckily we live within driving distance so we were still home. It was almost 24 hours notice so we had plenty of time to plan other excursions but I think that amount of notice is rare.

Happy Honeymoon!