Timing for a flight out of FLL

CTSandy

Cruising on Equinox out of Miami in July. Planning on flying in and out of Ft. Lauderdale on Southwest - we'll be down the day before and spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale, but wondering about the flight home. There's a non-stop that leaves FLL at 11:35 AM. We always do the walk off with our luggage, for those of you who have experience with Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, do you think this flight will allow us enough time to get there? I don't want to do one of those dashes through the airport and not at all familiar with what traffic is like on a Sunday leaving the port of Miami.

Thanks for any advice!

Sandy

More than enough time - especially if you are handling your own luggage at disembarkation. The airport is a 10 minute cab ride from the port and cabs are plentiful. As long as you are at the luggage drop off with Southwest by 10:00 you will be fine. I would suggest getting off the ship by about 8:30 or so to allow for customs and taxi wait.

I am certainly not endorsing or recommending this - and I'm sure I'll get slammed by others for doing it - but once on an Oasis cruise the best FLL flight for us was at 9:50 AM. We did regular ship handled luggage with disembarkation and were off the ship and through customs at 8:00 and made it to the gate with 45 minutes to spare.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

More than enough time - especially if you are handling your own luggage at disembarkation. The airport is a 10 minute cab ride from the port and cabs are plentiful. As long as you are at the luggage drop off with Southwest by 10:00 you will be fine. I would suggest getting off the ship by about 8:30 or so to allow for customs and taxi wait.

I am certainly not endorsing or recommending this - and I'm sure I'll get slammed by others for doing it - but once on an Oasis cruise the best FLL flight for us was at 9:50 AM. We did regular ship handled luggage with disembarkation and were off the ship and through customs at 8:00 and made it to the gate with 45 minutes to spare.

OP is disembarking in Miami not Port Everglades.

OP - you shouldn't have a problem (barring unforseen issues like a late arrival or a shortage of customs and immigration staff) as long as your are off early and July is low season so the airport shouldn't be as much of a zoo as it is on a winter weekend. Clarea's time recommendations look good - count on an hour transfer and hope it is less.

OP is disembarking in Miami not Port Everglades.

OP - you shouldn't have a problem (barring unforseen issues like a late arrival or a shortage of customs and immigration staff) as long as your are off early and July is low season so the airport shouldn't be as much of a zoo as it is on a winter weekend. Clarea's time recommendations look good - count on an hour transfer and hope it is less.

You are correct and my mistake - thanks for pointing that out! Didn't read the post close enough. :o And my experience was indeed from Pier 18 in Port Everglades.

That being said, with self luggage disembarkation the OP still should be fine with their flight time out of FL from Equinox in Miami.

If your port is Port Everglades, and you're flying out of Ft. Laud....you will be at the airport in PLENTY of time...port and airport are 10 mins. apart!

Well if you had read the OP's original information, my errant post, the correction by another poster regarding it, and my acknowledgment of that, you would know that Port Everglades is not the port in question, but Miami.

Looks like I'm not the only one that needs to read more carefully.......:rolleyes:

Thanks all for the input - I hoped that the because it was July the airport wouldn't be as crazy. Flew down to the Bahamas a couple of weeks ago with a connection in FLL, would definitely prefer not to sit around there for a few hours. The next flight out is at 5:25 PM, is not a non-stop and is twice the price! Because it's Southwest, worse case scenario is that we miss the flight and spend an extra night or two in FL. All my family is in the Tampa Bay area, we can drop in on them:) Appreciate all your comments!

We are going on a cruise out of Miami in June and flying out of Fort Lauderdale. We booked an 11:45 flight. In December we cruised out of Miami but flew into and out of FLL. We booked a 3:45 flight because we were afraid to book the 11:45 flight. We could have made the 11:45 flight and we didn't self-embark. Unfortunately, the flight was booked solid so we had no chance of even asking if they would let us on the earlier flight. For our June cruise, we're going to live on the edge and we've booked the 11:45 flight. I think we will be fine, but keeping our fingers crossed.

We are going on a cruise out of Miami in June and flying out of Fort Lauderdale. We booked an 11:45 flight. In December we cruised out of Miami but flew into and out of FLL. We booked a 3:45 flight because we were afraid to book the 11:45 flight. We could have made the 11:45 flight and we didn't self-embark. Unfortunately, the flight was booked solid so we had no chance of even asking if they would let us on the earlier flight. For our June cruise, we're going to live on the edge and we've booked the 11:45 flight. I think we will be fine, but keeping our fingers crossed.

Based on your own experience last December, you now have more confidence. Just the same, just hope that ship's docking and clearance are not delayed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums