first time cruiser

Dana florida

Hi iam set to go to go on my first cruise in Nov on a western cruise to Cayman Islands and Cozumel Mexico iam wanting to explore on my own .looking for a nice beach to snorkel ( first time snorkeling ) just with Goggles and the snorkel. Also I want to bring my own chair n umbrella after googling how much the cabanas are OMG .. don't know if all the beaches are privately owned and I have to rent a cabana or if I can bring my own Stuff as I do not have an arm and a leg to spend trying to do this trip on a budget if anybody knows of a beach that I can put my butt in the sand and use my own chair and umbrella and a nice place to snorkel please let me know in both areas of ports thanks. Going on a tight budget

Hi iam set to go to go on my first cruise in Nov on a western cruise to Cayman Islands and Cozumel Mexico iam wanting to explore on my own .looking for a nice beach to snorkel ( first time snorkeling ) just with Goggles and the snorkel. Also I want to bring my own chair n umbrella after googling how much the cabanas are OMG .. don't know if all the beaches are privately owned and I have to rent a cabana or if I can bring my own Stuff as I do not have an arm and a leg to spend trying to do this trip on a budget if anybody knows of a beach that I can put my butt in the sand and use my own chair and umbrella and a nice place to snorkel please let me know in both areas of ports thanks. Going on a tight budget

I would think that many ships would not allow you to bring along your own beach chair and umbrella. For me, that's way too much stuff to have to pack and carry along.

Good luck.

Do you know a beach ? Seems as all the beaches on seven mile beach charge over 100.00 so if you know where I can get a cheap chair and umbrella do share as I stated I was on a budget. I know alot of people wouldn't bring there own chair and umbrella but I am the few that would to save some money as I will be taking a taxi to the beach do it wouldn't be a big deal just like going to the beach here you gotta bring your own cooler and chairs

Do you know a beach ? Seems as all the beaches on seven mile beach charge over 100.00 so if you know where I can get a cheap chair and umbrella do share as I stated I was on a budget. I know alot of people wouldn't bring there own chair and umbrella but I am the few that would to save some money as I will be taking a taxi to the beach do it wouldn't be a big deal just like going to the beach here you gotta bring your own cooler and chairs

I know the beach access only at Royal Palms is $2.00. This gives you access to their restaurant, wash rooms, adult-only pool, changing rooms, showers. I don't know the cost for general chair rental, but, typically, it's not much (like $5-10, maybe).

Other public beaches also have chair/umbrella rentals.

In Cozumel consider the following beach clubs:

Mr. Sanchos

Playa Mia

Nachi Cocom

You won't need to rent a beach chair at any of these places because they already have them. At some of these places you can either do pay as you go or all inclusive for your food and drink. Playa Mia has an underwater Mayan City to explore while snorkeling. BTW, I hope you have fins? They are very helpful when snorkeling in the ocean, otherwise, it can be a very exhausting experience fighting the currents.

I'm not American & don't know what a cabana is.

But for the money you're quoting I'm guessing it's a four-bedroom condo with jacuzzi and mini-bar. ;)

It's impractical to bring, and schlepp, your own chair/umbrella/table.

As other posts, the rental costs are in single digits.

Or less/zilch to simply plant your butt on the sand.

Take ship's beach towels.

A great first snorkel would be on Grand Caymen's Stingray City.

Forget the "city" title, it's a sandbank around a mile off-shore where the water is about waist-high and free-roaming stingrays congregate. Never out of your depth, just stand up if your mask (or goggles) fills or you have a mini-panic attack (neither of which are un-common on a first time). And fins there would be pointless and cumbersome - no need for them, or even for water shoes. But your mask & snorkel allow you to get up-close & personal with dozens of big but harmless, inquisitive, & playful stingrays. Remember, they're there by choice.

You may be given a brief stop on the way back. That's deep water & altho there's reputedly a small wreck I've seen nothing there & wouldn't bother to get out of the boat again there.

There'll be touts at the ship's pier offering a boat-ride to Stingray City, including their bus to/from the boat's pier.

I don't recall the cost, perhaps someone else can. But it's somewhere in the $15 to $25 range.

Out on the sandbank, boat staff may put a stingray on your back, etc & hope to sell you photos that they take. Over-priced, like ship's photographers but no need to buy, and on a tight budget you probably won't.

Check out the pics on https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stingray+city+cayman&rlz=1T4GGHP_enGB611GB611&biw=1920&bih=901&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIq-KlodHFyAIVS14UCh0ZtAYn

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Yeah I was just on the Web site for that beach have u been there before?if so how's it work any shade ?

If you go to the Ports of Call forum, then choose Caribbean, then choose a port you can get lots of info on beaches.

In Grand Cayman Google Captain Marvin. He has been doing tours to Sting Ray City for many years. He takes you to feed the sting rays and I believe also goes two spots just for snorkeling. Sting Rays do not have teeth and their mouths are in the middle of their underside. All these tours have masks, snorkels and fins for you to wear. His cost is always less than the same tour from the ship.

In Grand Cayman Google Captain Marvin. He has been doing tours to Sting Ray City for many years. He takes you to feed the sting rays and I believe also goes two spots just for snorkeling. Sting Rays do not have teeth and their mouths are in the middle of their underside. All these tours have masks, snorkels and fins for you to wear. His cost is always less than the same tour from the ship.

Sting rays certainly do have teeth (though they are somewhat round and blunt).