Optional charges

Here's a novel idea.......why don't Carnival just pay their people a decent wage and add it to the cruise price, than you'd have no reason to get your panties bunched. I hate to be told what I'm going to tip. If the service is sub par my "GIFT" should be also without the hassle of a service desk visit. Workers behind the scene that I've had zero contact with should not have to worry if I get a case of the @ss and decide not to "GIFT" people I've had no interactions with. Gratuity is just a fancy name for fee, all fees should be up front. That would eliminate the grey areas in the tip/gratuity/fee word game.

Agreed!!

So at Christmas do you tell family what present they MUST get you? Once you demand what has to be given to you, it's no longer a gift. A tip is a gift you given as a reward for good service. I've no problem with that, if warranted. Why not just add that lousy 13 bucks a day to the cost of the cruise and call it what it is....a FEE. With your blind love for Carnival you've lost touch with Webster and the true definition of the word TIP. Also, I've never been to GS for anything, always pre-pay and tip everyone who does anything directly for me. I've never had a problem with any room steward and slide them a crisp Franklin on my way off ship, that way I know they've been taken care of. Carnival should pay it's workers a descent wage and be done with it.

Your analogy is flawed....a TIP is not a GIFT. A Gift is given with the expectation of no consideration. A TIP is given as a form of payment if you will for services rendered....the $13 pp/pd is added to the cost of the cruise. You know going in that you will be charged $13 per day, where is the problem? I wouldn't remotely think of doing it, even if the service is sub par, but I have heard of people having their TIPS removed from their accounts after raising enough of a stink with GS. On a 7 night cruise, these workers have cleaned your room everyday, twice....prepared and served to you 21 meals, plus snacks and basically have catered to you for $90....I am willing to bet the vast majority of cruisers have absolutely no issue giving the $13 per day, and in some cases go above and beyond by tipping extra. There is the small percentage who are so cheap, after gouging themselves with every small indulgence they can, want the extra $90 for themselves so they can indulge more

Edited by First and Ten

Under Itemized Charges, I noticed -Optional Charges Prepaid Gratuities of $310.80. If it is optional do I have to prepay gratuities?? What happens if I don't like the service that I receive. If I never eat in the dining room do I have to leave tip for maître d?? :confused:

You do not need to prepay the gratuities. I never do. If you don't prepay the gratuities, Carnival will bill the gratuities to your on board account. Also, you don't have to tip the maitre'd unless (s)he does something for you.

You do not need to prepay the gratuities. I never do. If you don't prepay the gratuities, Carnival will bill the gratuities to your on board account. Also, you don't have to tip the maitre'd unless (s)he does something for you.

Okay, good!:)

Now just move the apostrophe to after the D, and you get an A!

Maitre d'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%AEtre_d%27h%C3%B4tel

Yes, I'm on sort of a crusade to correct this stuff, as they are a person's title.

I cringe every time I read cabin "stewart", or "mustard drill" too.

Well at least I have yet to read "Kaptan"! :D

Yes, I'm on sort of a crusade to correct this stuff, as they are a person's title.

I cringe every time I read cabin "stewart", or "mustard drill" too.

Well at least I have yet to read "Kaptan"! :D

Ahh...our own Don Quixote (did I spell that right?) tilting at windmills!

Personally, when someone corrects my grammar (is that a final a or an e?) or my spellings I immediately think "less" of said person and my initial reaction is to ignore their musings because I feel it is rude and uncalled for no matter their intent. My Mom (like others on this board) came to English as a second language...I still miss her Whe and all her other phonetic spelling.

Tips....An absurd "tradition" but one I don't have the energy to fight. In my mind I equate tipping on a ship as a required fee and I just pay it with that mindset. The debate is useless chatter for me since, rarely, is the exceptional employee rewarded.

Personally, when someone corrects my grammar (is that a final a or an e?) or my spellings I immediately think "less" of said person and my initial reaction is to ignore their musings because I feel it is rude and uncalled for no matter their intent. My Mom (like others on this board) came to English as a second language...I still miss her Whe and all her other phonetic spelling.

Tips....An absurd "tradition" but one I don't have the energy to fight. In my mind I equate tipping on a ship as a required fee and I just pay it with that mindset. The debate is useless chatter for me since, rarely, is the exceptional employee rewarded.

Absurd? Most waitresses/bartenders/waiters in the US depend on tips as a major part of their salary. I am sure they don't think of receiving a TIP as absurd. They depend on them to pay their bills

Edited by First and Ten

Absurd? Most waitresses/bartenders/waiters in the US depend on tips as a major part of their salary. I am sure they don't think of receiving a TIP as absurd. They depend on them to pay their bills

When "tipping" percentages are listed on my receipt, when wait-staff never re-fills my coffee, when a barista puts a cup next to the register (how is preparing the drink you ordered an extra service (heck they charge for every extra)), when a host or hostess has his/her hand out to sit you at a "nice" table then tipping is absurd. Why does a cab-driver deserve a tip if no luggage or packages are involved? A hair-dresser, a nail technician, the guy that opens a door for you, a valet? The "tradition" is absurd. Australia doesn't tip and their society continues along nicely.

Because I don't believe in tipping doesn't mean I don't do it...one doesn't exclude the other.

When "tipping" percentages are listed on my receipt, when wait-staff never re-fills my coffee, when a barista puts a cup next to the register (how is preparing the drink you ordered an extra service (heck they charge for every extra)), when a host or hostess has his/her hand out to sit you at a "nice" table then tipping is absurd. Why does a cab-driver deserve a tip if no luggage or packages are involved? A hair-dresser, a nail technician, the guy that opens a door for you, a valet? The "tradition" is absurd. Australia doesn't tip and their society continues along nicely.

Because I don't believe in tipping doesn't mean I don't do it...one doesn't exclude the other.

First off, I don't know how they do things down under. In the US, it is a customary practice and it goes a bit deeper than an "absurd tradition", it goes directly to paying for a persons paycheck (Waiters/Waitresses)....Tipping percentages are listed on receipts as a convenience for those who may be "math challenged". I am guessing you never worked in the service industry here in the US. The stories of waiters/waitresses working in a high end restaurant where a party will drop $250 on a nice meal and leave a $5 tip. Is it the majority of time, no, but it happens more than you would think. I know people who get paid around $3 an hr as a salary. You want to live on that? Valet? you have an issue tipping a college kid $1 or $2 to go get your car? If you really don't want to tip them, park the car yourself

Edited by First and Ten

First off, I don't know how they do things down under. In the US, it is a customary practice and it goes a bit deeper than an "absurd tradition", it goes directly to paying for a persons paycheck (Waiters/Waitresses)....Tipping percentages are listed on receipts as a convenience for those who may be "math challenged". I am guessing you never worked in the service industry here in the US. The stories of waiters/waitresses working in a high end restaurant where a party will drop $250 on a nice meal and leave a $5 tip. Is it the majority of time, no, but it happens more than you would think. I know people who get paid around $3 an hr as a salary. You want to live on that? Valet? you have an issue tipping a college kid $1 or $2 to go get your car? If you really don't want to tip them, park the car yourself

Again, an assumption is made that when you don't "embrace the tradition of tipping" that you don't do it. Why should I be considered the "enemy" when others don't "tip". I have worked on and off in the "service" industry (I was young once) and totally understand the issue. But sales clerks don't get tipped, nor do bus drivers, I don't think those that clean a hotel room get tipped, we don't tip those who provide services online we don't tip our mailman.

If industries that historically rely on tips continue to pay their help based on potential tipping that is "tradition" not necessity...they are the ones who need to change their mind set, not me. I am not going to be held captive...I tip because I "want" to not because I "have" to.

Again, an assumption is made that when you don't "embrace the tradition of tipping" that you don't do it. Why should I be considered the "enemy" when others don't "tip". I have worked on and off in the "service" industry (I was young once) and totally understand the issue. But sales clerks don't get tipped, nor do bus drivers, I don't think those that clean a hotel room get tipped, we don't tip those who provide services online we don't tip our mailman.

If industries that historically rely on tips continue to pay their help based on potential tipping that is "tradition" not necessity...they are the ones who need to change their mind set, not me. I am not going to be held captive...I tip because I "want" to not because I "have" to.

Sales clerks and bus drivers make at least minimum wage, most servers don't. Many sales clerks in department stores in addition to at least minimum wage, get commission. I personally tip the people who clean the hotel room and yes, I do tip mailmen and garbage men at Christmas time. It must be coincidence that I NEVER have a package left out in the rain and no matter what I put out every week for trash, it gets picked up. Others on my block will put out the same stuff and it will sit there until they call in for a special pickup (washer/dryer/etc). I don't know where you are getting the "enemy" moniker from, I never called you the enemy. You are more of a contrarian in that you say you don't believe in tipping, but you still follow the "tradition" and do it anyway. Are you arguing just to argue?

Edited by First and Ten

I didn't take any offense to his post.

Gratuities are optional and should be based on how well the services were preformed.

If you old enough to remember the time when a server had bad service u would tip with a penny. However from 6 months of reading this forum every time this topic gets brought up people start throw insults at each other.

My take is this, they signed up for the job knowing the base pay and the work load they would work. Tips would just be a perk of the job.

Btw I prepaid my tips for my July 31 cruise already.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Under Itemized Charges, I noticed -Optional Charges Prepaid Gratuities of $310.80. If it is optional do I have to prepay gratuities?? What happens if I don't like the service that I receive. If I never eat in the dining room do I have to leave tip for maître d?? :confused:

You can prepay or they will charge them to your account, but you can adjust them to anything you like, or even remove them if your inclined to take responsibility of tipping the way you like.

There are no longer tips for the maitre d, but if you don't eat in the DR, let him know so your table can be reassigned.

I have. Would you believe me if I tinkled down your back, while wearing a Carnival jacket and told you it was raining?

Tinkle anywhere you want, just stop being so cheap and give the people that work so hard so you can enjoy your cruise a little something for the effort. I hope one of the waiters tinkles in your food.

Tinkle anywhere you want, just stop being so cheap and give the people that work so hard so you can enjoy your cruise a little something for the effort. I hope one of the waiters tinkles in your food.

Children settle down or we'll turn this car right around...

• 11 months later...
Your analogy is flawed....a TIP is not a GIFT. A Gift is given with the expectation of no consideration. A TIP is given as a form of payment if you will for services rendered....the $13 pp/pd is added to the cost of the cruise. You know going in that you will be charged $13 per day, where is the problem? I wouldn't remotely think of doing it, even if the service is sub par, but I have heard of people having their TIPS removed from their accounts after raising enough of a stink with GS. On a 7 night cruise, these workers have cleaned your room everyday, twice....prepared and served to you 21 meals, plus snacks and basically have catered to you for $90....I am willing to bet the vast majority of cruisers have absolutely no issue giving the $13 per day, and in some cases go above and beyond by tipping extra. There is the small percentage who are so cheap, after gouging themselves with every small indulgence they can, want the extra $90 for themselves so they can indulge more

There is no reason for my room to be cleaned twice a day.

I can tell you that those cheap people who have $250 dinners and leave $5 are alive and well. The whole tipping culture here in the US has changed dramatically over the years! The average tip now is 7-8 % if that. VERY often I'll have a say $107 bar tab and they will total it at $110. It's very true!

25 year bartender here :)

It is happening on every cruise booked on Carnival for about the last 6 months. They are automatically added unless the customer specifically states they do not want them added.

Just beware.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

and this is not unique to Carnival, every line I've been on handles the tipping charges the same, those people work hard and most of them deserve what they get and some get a little extra./

It is happening on every cruise booked on Carnival for about the last 6 months. They are automatically added unless the customer specifically states they do not want them added.

Just beware.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to specifically tell my PVP to add them. None have been automatic. Actually with this last one I forgot to tell him to and once I got the invoice, I noticed they weren't there so I sent him a FB message and he had it fixed in 3 min and a new invoice automatically in my email.

First and Ten I have to agree with you. Lots of people are just cheap, I have worked in the service and retail industry and I think everyone should have that experience before they cast the first stone. In fact I think it should be required.

First and Ten I have to agree with you. Lots of people are just cheap, I have worked in the service and retail industry and I think everyone should have that experience before they cast the first stone. In fact I think it should be required.

I have witnessed people at the GS desk, arms full of Fun Shops bags raising the roof because they saw their bill and proclaimed that the roughly $13 per day was to much and they want those charges removed....it's downright disgusting some people's mindset

OP - If your booking has the tips marked as prepaid, then they need to be paid at final payment date. If you don't pay the total due, your cruise could be cancelled. If you don't plan to prepay them, arrange for them to be marked as NOT prepaid on your booking.

Have a great cruise!

Or people could be paid a living wage and get tips for going above and beyond.