Help! First Carnival Cruise: Vista, Splendor, or Magic?

Hello,

I have a voucher for a free Carnival Cruise up to 8 days in the Caribbean, Mexico, or Bahamas. My boyfriend and I are looking at dates next March, April, or May. We have both been on other lines before (NCL x3 and Disney x4 myself) but have never done Carnival, but since it's free and flexible, we're excited to go. But Carnival is just such a huge line, and since price isn't a factor, there's too many options for us! We've agreed that we'd rather try out one of the line's newer ships, so with the date and port restrictions plus that decision, we've landed on either the Vista, Splendor or Magic.

As far as itineraries, he's leaning towards Eastern Caribbean. He's been to Puerto Rico and the Bahamas, and I've been to the Bahamas several times. He's more into the places we go, and I'm more concerned about the ship (but still want to have good ports.) I'm also wanting to see Amber Cove, since it'll still be pretty new, and I like private islands so Half Moon Cay appeals to me as well. He doesn't see the point of going to cruise line-owned ports and wants a more "authentic" port. (I'd like a mix of both - stopping at one "real" port followed by a line's private island where I can just hop off the ship and go to the beach with my fellow passengers is just fine with me.)

Anyway - can any experienced Carnival cruisers give me their comparisons of the three ships I mentioned? I've looked into the features that one ship has and the other ships don't, and there isn't anything in particular that I *think* I would go "aw man, if only I were on the Vista instead of this ship and I could do ____." But I might just not know any better.

Anyone have any thoughts on a comparison of these three ships, or a recommendation of an itinerary I should do, or a port not to be missed? All thoughts are appreciated.

Hello,

I have a voucher for a free Carnival Cruise up to 8 days in the Caribbean, Mexico, or Bahamas. My boyfriend and I are looking at dates next March, April, or May. We have both been on other lines before (NCL x3 and Disney x4 myself) but have never done Carnival, but since it's free and flexible, we're excited to go. But Carnival is just such a huge line, and since price isn't a factor, there's too many options for us! We've agreed that we'd rather try out one of the line's newer ships, so with the date and port restrictions plus that decision, we've landed on either the Vista, Splendor or Magic.

As far as itineraries, he's leaning towards Eastern Caribbean. He's been to Puerto Rico and the Bahamas, and I've been to the Bahamas several times. He's more into the places we go, and I'm more concerned about the ship (but still want to have good ports.) I'm also wanting to see Amber Cove, since it'll still be pretty new, and I like private islands so Half Moon Cay appeals to me as well. He doesn't see the point of going to cruise line-owned ports and wants a more "authentic" port. (I'd like a mix of both - stopping at one "real" port followed by a line's private island where I can just hop off the ship and go to the beach with my fellow passengers is just fine with me.)

Anyway - can any experienced Carnival cruisers give me their comparisons of the three ships I mentioned? I've looked into the features that one ship has and the other ships don't, and there isn't anything in particular that I *think* I would go "aw man, if only I were on the Vista instead of this ship and I could do ____." But I might just not know any better.

Anyone have any thoughts on a comparison of these three ships, or a recommendation of an itinerary I should do, or a port not to be missed? All thoughts are appreciated.

I haven't been on any of these, but I'd pick Vista just since its newest and biggest and seems to offer the most.

I have always liked the Conquest Class of Carnival ships. That would be the Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty and Freedom. They are good size ships and don't seem to be over crowded. Have very good eating options and easy to navigate around the ship. Splendor is very similar in size, but doesn't seem to offer the same eating options.

Also like the Breeze of the Dream Class, which is the same as the Magic. The Breeze has a nice decor, different from the other carnival ships that can be a little "colorful" at times.

Vista is biggest and newest, so will be a nice experience too. I will be travelling on Vista in September for the first time, so will know more than.

Look at this site and it shows comparisons of the Carnival Fleet. Scroll down to see different eating choices, ship features, such as pools, water parks, rope courses, etc. to see what you find interesting. https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/cruiseline.php?line=Carnival

Click on the ships name and you will see deck plans too.

My recommendation would be the Vista first, and if not, the Breeze.

Edited by HawkIVette

Ok, I am assumimg you are from Florida, so the Breeze would not be a good choice since it is out of Galveston now.

Magic, out of Orlando, has a 8 day sailing on May 13th to St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk. Did the America's Cup Sailing @ St Maarten, Tour of the island and Monkeys @ St Kitts, Senor Frogs is a great party stop @ San Juan, and Margaritaville pool and beach is Carnivals private stop @ Grand Turk.

I suggest you Book It.

Edited by HawkIVette

I seriously wish I had your problem. [emoji3][emoji3]. I would choose Vista. It's the newest and most expensive, but it has a lot of the new perks most of us are dying to try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I am assumimg you are from Florida, so the Breeze would not be a good choice since it is out of Galveston now.

Magic, out of Orlando, has a 8 day sailing on May 13th to St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk. Did the America's Cup Sailing @ St Maarten, Tour of the island and Monkeys @ St Kitts, Senor Frogs is a great party stop @ San Juan, and Margaritaville pool and beach is Carnivals private stop @ Grand Turk.

I suggest you Book It.

We are actually from Los Angeles. We looked into the ships that come out of here, but they are generally shorter trips on older ships, and we don't really want to go to Mexico as much as other destinations. (And trying to avoid a cruise packed with people just looking to drink and party for three days straight.) We both have a decent amount of airline miles saved, so flying isn't much of an issue. We looked into Galveston too, but mostly narrowed it down to ships going out of Florida.

Thanks!

I have always liked the Conquest Class of Carnival ships. That would be the Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty and Freedom. They are good size ships and don't seem to be over crowded. Have very good eating options and easy to navigate around the ship. Splendor is very similar in size, but doesn't seem to offer the same eating options.

Also like the Breeze of the Dream Class, which is the same as the Magic. The Breeze has a nice decor, different from the other carnival ships that can be a little "colorful" at times.

Vista is biggest and newest, so will be a nice experience too. I will be travelling on Vista in September for the first time, so will know more than.

Look at this site and it shows comparisons of the Carnival Fleet. Scroll down to see different eating choices, ship features, such as pools, water parks, rope courses, etc. to see what you find interesting. https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/cruiseline.php?line=Carnival

Click on the ships name and you will see deck plans too.

My recommendation would be the Vista first, and if not, the Breeze.

Ooh, great site that I hadn't seen. Thanks!

We are leaning towards the Vista just because it's so new, but the Breeze also caught my attention because the CD, Jaime Dee, is someone I've known since I was maybe 6 years old (although I haven't seen her in years.) I've known she was a Carnival CD and have wanted to go on one of her sailings for a while. She's on the Breeze now, although I see she's moving around. I only see her schedule through October 2016, whereas some other CD's I see their schedule until April 2017. Anyone know why that might be? (And anyone know when the next round of the schedule would be released? I have to book with my certificate within the next month or so, so I'm assuming nothing will be posted between now and then, but Jaime as a CD might serve as a deciding factor if I were split between two bookings.)

I seriously wish I had your problem. [emoji3][emoji3]. I would choose Vista. It's the newest and most expensive, but it has a lot of the new perks most of us are dying to try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know...such champagne problems. I want to make the right choice, but at the end of the day, I'm sure I'll enjoy any one we pick because I won't have to worry about how expensive it is. (Unless I add on any excursions or other charges, which we might, since we are only paying taxes/fees for the cruise itself.)

I suggest you Book It.

This sounds like an awesome cruise!

Having only been on the Magic out of the mentioned ships, I would choose either the Magic or the Vista. My cruise on the Magic has been the best cruise, and it was all due to the ship.

I suggest you Book It.

I think this itinerary is a great one. I prefer Eastern Caribbean islands over Western any day and Grand Turk is probably the prettiest island I have ever been too.

I realize the thrill of doing the Vista because of the new factor, but you can't go wrong with the Magic and this itinerary!

Keep in mind that you are sailing during prime Spring Break time March/April and May would be close to graduation time. Personally I think February is a great time to cruise, especially to the Caribbean.

I think this itinerary is a great one. I prefer Eastern Caribbean islands over Western any day and Grand Turk is probably the prettiest island I have ever been too.

I realize the thrill of doing the Vista because of the new factor, but you can't go wrong with the Magic and this itinerary!

Keep in mind that you are sailing during prime Spring Break time March/April and May would be close to graduation time. Personally I think February is a great time to cruise, especially to the Caribbean.

We actually have another trip we are looking into booking, and that destination we've decided we think late May is best. Not wanting to have two large trips that close together (for time off from work purposes, and just to spread it out) we have been looking at February/early March for our cruise.

Good to know about Eastern Caribbean. That's what we were leaning towards, but with no actual knowledge as to why.

I have never bought into the mentality of "newer is automatically better". All 3 ships will offer great experiences. I've had great cruises on much older ships than any of those. My most recent cruise was on Splendor, and that was a great trip & I loved the ship. The Magic is also a great ship, and it currently has the best entertainment (imo) of those 3 ships. Vista has some things that look nice, but they also took some stuff away that I would miss. I think Magic is a nice balance. It still has plenty of the newer stuff. If Magic has a great itinerary to the Eastern/Southern Caribbean, that would be what I would go with. I greatly prefer Eastern/Southern to Western, and they all are better than the Bahamas.

I had Jaime as a CD on the Dream back in 2011. She was thrown into the position at the last second as that sailing started, due to a variety of unexpected circumstances. She did such a great job right off the bat, and the rest is history. Carnival is lucky to have her.