Royston Weird Response

Bases5

I sent him a E-Mail per his web site to check Availably and make reservation from reviews here on cruise critic

It took about a week and a half to here back. I did send 3 different e-mails.

I have now e-mailed Gray.

Here was the response. 05/23/2014

"sorry for taking so long but its not a good day for me. had some dreams from god that led me to using the old biblical lunisolar calendar for the sabbath day and it falls on that day so I don't want to work.

Jesus also told me he is coming soon and to tell people. so hope to see you in heaven."

very sorry

Royston

It is not a weird response. His religion does not allow him to work on his Sabbath.

You are correct. I totally miss read the e-mail.

I have the up most respect for people following there belief.

He should update his web site to let people know he will not be doing tours on his Sabbath. I guess that is Fridays

Well Although I do respect his belief Iwill miss doing the tour with him. I liked the sound of it.

Sorry to hear this tour does not work for you on your dates. I had read about this 'response' prior to our tour so was a bit concerned he might be a bit of a religious fanatical.

Our tour was wonderful. He never once made any references to his religion, god, or Jesus.

For those that are able to book, you will enjoy this tour.

Sorry to hear this tour does not work for you on your dates. I had read about this 'response' prior to our tour so was a bit concerned he might be a bit of a religious fanatical.

Our tour was wonderful. He never once made any references to his religion, god, or Jesus.

For those that are able to book, you will enjoy this tour.

I, too, have been puzzled by this, since a similar query surfaced on here a number of months ago, and it didn't sound at all like the e-mail contact we had with him when booking this trip. And he certainly didn't talk about anything strange during our tour.

Initially it made me wonder if his e-mail account had been hacked or something else suspicious was going on.

I toured with Royston recently and it was a WONDERFUL experience.

My son is an observant Jew, so I completely understand not being able to work on the Sabbath. As I understand it from speaking with him, Royston follows a religious calendar that links to the lunar calendar, so the Sabbath day isn't always the same day. For Jews, it's sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday, but it doesn't work this way in Royton's religion.

If your cruise is on the island on a date that coincides with the Sabbath day according to his faith, he will not be able to accommodate you. You'll need to reach out to another tour provider. If there is no conflict, you can feel confidence booking with Royston. He offers a fantastic tour.

I'm happy to see the positive comments from people who have met and toured with Royston defending him from the nasty comment from someone who has likely never met him and was making a pretty wild assumption.

We, too, had a wonderful time during our day with Royston and found him charming, helpful, and not at all weird. He was very enthusiastic about his home and full of information.

For those that have toured with him, how long did it take for you to get a response from him?

My e-mails were answered within 1–3 days during our exchange, but at times I've read on here of it taking longer. Also, I think at one point he may have changed e-mail addresses, and some people were still using the old one. I'd have to look at my e-mail to see which address I used for him, but I found it on the St. Kitts boards here.

My e-mails were answered within 1–3 days during our exchange, but at times I've read on here of it taking longer. Also, I think at one point he may have changed e-mail addresses, and some people were still using the old one. I'd have to look at my e-mail to see which address I used for him, but I found it on the St. Kitts boards here.

I got his email off his website as his website said his contact form doesn't work and to use the email I used. It's been about 4 - 5 days and no response. Guess I will give it a few more days but at some point I'll have to make other arrangements. Thanks for the info.

I got his email off his website as his website said his contact form doesn't work and to use the email I used. It's been about 4 - 5 days and no response. Guess I will give it a few more days but at some point I'll have to make other arrangements. Thanks for the info.

The e-mail address I've used is roystontours@hotmail.com. Had to look it up. Good luck with your planning!

Cruiser, just heard back from him! Mind me asking if you were in the open air bus or an AC bus? Heard open air was great but he is all booked for that. Just curious if the experience was the same, driver's informative. (Heard Royston drives the open air bus but haven't heard about any of the other drivers, etc.) Was hoping to take a lot of pictures so a little disappointed but that's what I get for scheduling a cruise at the last minute. Thanks!

Cruiser, just heard back from him! Mind me asking if you were in the open air bus or an AC bus? Heard open air was great but he is all booked for that. Just curious if the experience was the same, driver's informative. (Heard Royston drives the open air bus but haven't heard about any of the other drivers, etc.) Was hoping to take a lot of pictures so a little disappointed but that's what I get for scheduling a cruise at the last minute. Thanks!

We were on the open-air Toyota van, which seats 6-9 people, I think, and Royston drives. He has a cousin (?) who drives a larger bus-type vehicle that is air-conditioned, and I got the impression that it is not quite as "adventurous" a drive, but you get to see the fortress, Romney manor, etc., and they meet up toward the end of the afternoon at the beach.

On the day, it is possible that Royston may have no-shows and you could transfer to his van. But I'm sure you'll get a good tour either way, just not the same picture-taking opportunities on the fly. They will likely do a number of stops for pictures at scenic outlooks, etc. Royston did, and we had a choice of getting out or not.

We thought St. Kitts was fascinating and look forward to visiting again, since we just got an overview the first time. I'm also looking forward to trying more of the food.

We were on the open-air Toyota van, which seats 6-9 people, I think, and Royston drives. He has a cousin (?) who drives a larger bus-type vehicle that is air-conditioned, and I got the impression that it is not quite as "adventurous" a drive, but you get to see the fortress, Romney manor, etc., and they meet up toward the end of the afternoon at the beach.

On the day, it is possible that Royston may have no-shows and you could transfer to his van. But I'm sure you'll get a good tour either way, just not the same picture-taking opportunities on the fly. They will likely do a number of stops for pictures at scenic outlooks, etc. Royston did, and we had a choice of getting out or not.

We thought St. Kitts was fascinating and look forward to visiting again, since we just got an overview the first time. I'm also looking forward to trying more of the food.

Thank you for the additional info and sorry for hijacking the original thread. I went ahead and booked and just asked him if there were cancellations on the open air bus to please let me know as we would want to switch. Since you don't have to pay until after the tour, maybe we will get lucky!! We are the only ship in port that day so that's good and I'm sure we will enjoy it either way but wanted it to be a little adventurous since my 14 yo son will be with us. Thanks again :D

Thank you for the additional info and sorry for hijacking the original thread. I went ahead and booked and just asked him if there were cancellations on the open air bus to please let me know as we would want to switch. Since you don't have to pay until after the tour, maybe we will get lucky!! We are the only ship in port that day so that's good and I'm sure we will enjoy it either way but wanted it to be a little adventurous since my 14 yo son will be with us. Thanks again :D

We were lucky on our tour, with only 2 couples in the open air van as one other couple did a now show (can't understand how people do this). Nobody wanted to switch as it seemed really hot that day and they all wanted the AC. Once moving though, it was fantastic. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will not show up.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a large cruise critic group going in Oct, so our "group" is going in Ashton's air conditioned van. Any reports? I think I might be missing out on the photo ops, but the air conditioning and larger van sounded good, and I am really not very "adventurous" in a vehicle. Some are also using Thenford Grey- is that a better choice?

We have a large cruise critic group going in Oct, so our "group" is going in Ashton's air conditioned van. Any reports? I think I might be missing out on the photo ops, but the air conditioning and larger van sounded good, and I am really not very "adventurous" in a vehicle. Some are also using Thenford Grey- is that a better choice?

We just returned today from our cruise where we took Royston tours with his cousin in his AC van. We had a total of 10 of us in the van (3 from my family). I had requested the open air bus but Royston said that wasn't an option as he had other people booked. Since we had not been on St. Kitts before I thought the open air bus would be best since I wanted to take tons of pictures. It ended up raining when the tour began so the AC bus was great for that reason but it did cut out on some photos from the downtown area (& windows were smaller so that limited some photos) however it stopped pretty quick and I was still able to take lots of pictures at all the stops. I sat on the first row, left seat which was good for taking photos on the left side and I tried to get my husband to use his cellphone for photos on the right but that can be a little hard telling him to take a picture of this, that, etc. lol. He also stopped at the Vet school for us as our daughter in college wants to be a vet (which we greatly appreciated and the others on the tour were very nice about it.) I will say that we thoroughly enjoyed the tour. One of my favorites. He knew so much information about the island and provided SO much information and we loved all the spots we got to see. Lunch was provided with Royston tours (which it is not provided for Thenford tours last time I checked). We ate it at Friars beach and it was just ok, didn't really care for it much. Five people from the tour wanted to stay at the beach so he dropped them off and took the rest of us back to the port and then he went back to pick them up which was great. It was nice to have that option but since we were already near the 5 hour mark for the tour, we were just exhausted and knew we would be spending another beach day at another port. It was very hot so the AC was very nice to have.

I will add we ran into Thenford at the fort and he had what looked like a new bus with big windows for everyone so picture opportunities might be a little bit better but you also pay more and lunch is not provided. I think it's just a personal choice but we were happy with going with Royston.

Hope this helps and have fun :)

• 2 months later...
I sent him a E-Mail per his web site to check Availably and make reservation from reviews here on cruise critic

It took about a week and a half to here back. I did send 3 different e-mails.

I have now e-mailed Gray.

Here was the response. 05/23/2014

"sorry for taking so long but its not a good day for me. had some dreams from god that led me to using the old biblical lunisolar calendar for the sabbath day and it falls on that day so I don't want to work.

Jesus also told me he is coming soon and to tell people. so hope to see you in heaven."

very sorry

Royston

Requested a tour from him also and received the same response. It's unfortunate that his Sabbath falls on our port day. Was really looking forward to this tour.

Hopefully Thenford will come through.

Bumping this up in case anyone else receives the same response.

Trust me, believe me, I mean it. I too have all the respect for religions and very glad when people can follow through with their beliefs. I know I need to do a much better job.

That being said, and while I am trying to be funny, haha, and this is not blasphemy in anyway, the first thing I thought of when I read Royston's response is GOSH I WOULD LOVE TO SAY THIS AT WORK ONE DAY JUST TO SEE THE RESPONSE!

• 3 weeks later...

I received the same reply yesterday. "sorry for taking so long, I'm away and I had you on hold because not a good day. I had some dreams from god that led me to using the old biblical lunisolar calendar for the sabbath and it falls on that day for that month so I don't want to work. Jesus also told me he is coming soon and to tell people so this is for you.

sorry again

Royston"

Our port day is January 29, a Thursday. Oh well, we went ahead and booked with Javin.

We probably would have thought twice about booking with Royston if we'd heard about or gotten a response like that before going to St. Kitts, but as it was, our group of four and another couple had a great time with Royston in his open-air van. It was completely free of any discussion of religion, apocalyptic or otherwise.

Any man who has a cooler of Carib beer on the front seat of his van is a good man in my book. :)