Very recent Golden cruisers - Bands and Entertainment

lovevacadays

Hello, recent Golden cruisers. I am hoping you will share who the bands are on board and information on other entertainment such as production shows, comics, etc.

How is the pool band? Is there a band singing in Explorers or the Vista Lounge? I really enjoy listening to a band in a lounge in the evenings.

Hello, recent Golden cruisers. I am hoping you will share who the bands are on board and information on other entertainment such as production shows, comics, etc.

How is the pool band? Is there a band singing in Explorers or the Vista Lounge? I really enjoy listening to a band in a lounge in the evenings.

I never heard the pool band, but the band in Explorer's (name?) wasn't so hot. There was a group of five men who performed in the Wheelhouse and the place was generally full. The piano guy in Promenade bar was okay, but I've heard better. The British Invasion show was great, but Caliente wasn't. There seemed to be a comedian in Vista rather than music. Some of the Piazza entertainers were very good, especially the mariaches.

On the Golden, 10/20-24, there were:

Pianist Wendy Flores

Guitarist and vocalist Kenny Stringer

Orphea Quartet

Los Brilliantes mariachi music

Dealing with Colors - loved this band as they really rocked (played mostly in Explorer Lounge)

Theater or vista lounge:

Comedian Uber Rossi

Comedian Steve White

Illusionist Hawley Magic

Vocalist David Austen

Our one sea day Dealing with Colors played at noon on the lido deck as well as the initial sail away. Los Brilliantes played for another sail away party. On the only sea day at 10:00 PM on the lido deck was the Ultimate Deck Party with Dealing With Colors.

Production show was British Invasion (loved it) and Stardust (did not go)

Pianist Wendy Flores

Orphea Quartet

Dealing with Colors - loved this band as they really rocked (played mostly in Explorer Lounge)

Theater or vista lounge:

Comedian Uber Rossi

Comedian Steve White

Illusionist Hawley Magic

Vocalist David Austen

Our one sea day Dealing with Colors played at noon on the lido deck as well as the initial sail away. Los Brilliantes played for another sail away party. On the only sea day at 10:00 PM on the lido deck was the Ultimate Deck Party with Dealing With Colors.

I think I would like to see Illusionist Hawley Magic. Did you get a chance to see the show? If so, how did you like it?

We really enjoyed the musical entertainment on our cruise this weekend. Orphea Quartet plays ballroom/Latin dancing music in the Wheelhouse Bar. There's a new piano bar guy (sorry, I didn't save my Patters) in Crooners who is a lot better than the one who was on our 10-24 sailing. There was often music in the Atrium, jazz, mariachi, piano, guitar, etc. The orchestra played a Big Band set in the Vista lounge last night, but we were busy with friends so didn't go.

I enjoyed British invasion, didn't stay awake long enough to see Caliente. It was the first 3-nighter that there was so much to do that I couldn't do everything I wanted to!

I am not a mariachi band lover - to me, it sounds like they forget to tune their instruments :), BUT Los Brilliantes were very good. The singer had a pleasant voice and I liked the music. Even though I've lived in Calif. most of my life and been to Mexico many times, it makes me wonder if the mariachi bands I've heard in the past just weren't that good or perhaps, Los Brilliantes changed the typical tuning to appeal to a wider audience. Not sure - but I liked them.

Edited by fabby50

There's a new piano bar guy (sorry, I didn't save my Patters) in Crooners who is a lot better than the one who was on our 10-24 sailing.

I had heard that the guy doing the 10-24 (which I was also on) was a temporary replacement for the previous guy who was fired for getting into a fight with some passengers. I wish I knew the whole story.

We were also on the October 20-24 cruise. I particularly liked Kenny Stringer. Definitely a couple of cuts above most. No classical, although the female piano player did a very nice job. The mariachi group was good, but too noisy for the piazza. Both shows were great.

Edited by Jeff in Torrance

I think I would like to see Illusionist Hawley Magic. Did you get a chance to see the show? If so, how did you like it?

Hawley Magic was good. I saw them on Caribbean Princess last December and I thought the show then was better. Much of it was the same, but the finale is a humdinger.

Here's one of the good illusions:

11415042106_9b21e3b368_z.jpgFinal Sea Days by RickEk, on Flickr

11415037336_1fe427f6f3_z.jpgFinal Sea Days by RickEk, on Flickr

We thought that the 2 best shows were Hawley Magic and David Austen, who sang buble to sinatra. He was excellent.

We thought that the 2 best shows were Hawley Magic and David Austen, who sang buble to sinatra. He was excellent.

I found the Hawley Magic show a bit thin. There was a lot more hoopla (music, graphics, etc.) than actual magic tricks. Everyone else in the theater seemed to enjoy it.

We were just on two 4 day cruises on the Golden. The music in the Wheelhouse was

great, the Mariachis, Los Brillantes were the reason we cruised. We like to dance and

the music on this ship was fantastic.

We will be on the Ruby for 21 days in December, I hope the music is as good.

Greg

Pianist Wendy Flores

Orphea Quartet

Theater or vista lounge:

Comedian Uber Rossi

Comedian Steve White

Illusionist Hawley Magic

Vocalist David Austen

I liked Dealing With Colors. My issue was they didn't play often enough and they played in Explorers at odd times.