Alaska Phone reception??

caltmb

OK, I know this is a silly question, but I can't seem to get a firm answer. We're traveling to Alaska aboard HAL in June (1st ever cruise!) and leaving our daughters with grandma.:D I've seen this question asked before, but what would be the cheapest way to check in daily with them???

Alaska isn't "international" perse, but would we be charged international (cell phones) because of the location on sea??

Should we get a calling card and call from ports? Should we email from the onboard internet cafe? (more expensive I know). We're not planning on taking our laptop (d/t fear of loss/damages).

What's everyone's opinion?? :o

OK, I know this is a silly question, but I can't seem to get a firm answer. We're traveling to Alaska aboard HAL in June (1st ever cruise!) and leaving our daughters with grandma.:D I've seen this question asked before, but what would be the cheapest way to check in daily with them???

Alaska isn't "international" perse, but would we be charged international (cell phones) because of the location on sea??

Should we get a calling card and call from ports? Should we email from the onboard internet cafe? (more expensive I know). We're not planning on taking our laptop (d/t fear of loss/damages).

On our Alaska cruise, we called home (we have Verizon) while onshore, in port. Alaska is a state, it's included in our plan.

Onboard the ship, you can certainly use your cellphone, however it's VERY costly. You will be using the ship's antenna (satellite) connection. I believe, on top of whatever your own provider will charge, you pay something like $2.49 per minute.

:)

Alaska is very port intensive, so almost each day you are in port (exception would be Glacier Bay or other "scenic cruising" days. If you are doing a RT out of Seattle you will also have the whole day at sea). You should be able to check in almost every day from someplace in the US. If you are starting or ending in Canada you will be charged international rates from those ports.

Cell phones will work on the ship, but note you will be charged a lot to use them. This is because they go through the satellites. Once you are on dry land on US soil (not Canada) you should have no issues at all. Check your cell phone plan. We have US Cellular and when we stepped off the gangway we turned our phones on so that we could communicate with the others on the trip (10 of us in total). I also got text messages keeping me up to date with the lower 48! No roaming charges as I have a national plan. I never turn my phone on while we are underway.

If you must check in daily then you will have to determine if it is worth it. If you can make arrangements to check in when you are in port it might be easier and less expensive. I am old enough to remember my parents leaving me at my grandparents several times for trips and not hearing from them very often- long distance calls were terribly expensive in the 1970's! As I knew they wouldn't be calling everyday I didn't worry about them. This year my parents are taking a 36 day cruise, and my mom's biggest concern was being able to check in with us!!! She plans to find libraries and internet cafe's on the days they are in port (they are traveling from New Zealand to Vancouver) as she isn't willing to pay the price for internet on the ship :p

Thanks for the input guys!

And yes, I know Alaska is a state :rolleyes:, but I was wondering if anyone knew how much I would be charged for roaming. I also have Verizon and shouldn't be charged roaming, but I keep reading all these crazy stories about ridiculous charges! I've tried to get a hold of Verizon, but alas, not luck yet.....

From the sounds of things, I should be able to check in at each of the ports :D

Thanks again!

Check with your provider. Most plans include coverage in Alaska as long as you are access their cell tower. When at sea, you will not be able to reach a cell tower, so you will have to go thru the ship's cell tower and that usually costs $2.49 per minute

Yes, Alaska is a state. If you have -- like I do -- "unlimited long distance calling" on my service plan -- then once OFF the ship you should be able to call home at will. Just be sure to turn off your phone while on the ship, as calls to/from the ship go through the ships towers and are very expensive.

The "horror stories" you hear about are folks who leave their phones on, while on board, and calls and text messages sent or received while on board will burn your budget quick!

Definitely, use your cell phone in port. However, make sure you are a decent ways away from the ship. Why? Because your call will go to the closest microwave relay. If that is still the ship's mast, then you will still pay the ship rates- even if you are on dry land!:eek: Once you are a couple of blocks inland, you'll be fine to call home.

And yes, turn your phone OFF while you are on the ship, to save money.

This website tells you a lot about the ports, and at the bottom of the opening page of each port (Basics) they mention the Internet spots. EM

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

Thanks so much for this tip! The "Cruise Port Insider" website is really helpful!! We're working on planning our own excursions/side trips and this is perfect :D

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!

Archived