Captains Table?

Kevbear

As this is our first cruise we are very eagerly waiting for our Docs and full of anticipation, you all remember your first time, right? So this question begs an answer from you seasoned veterans... what are the odds we will be invited to eat at the captains table as neebies? Do we need to smooze someone? Does our cabin selection influence the chances? Or is it the luck of the draw? And if you have a story to tell of this event please share it with us.

We have been on 5 Celebrity cruises and at the C.T, three times. It's the Social hostess who chooses the people. Some people were on their 1st cruise and were with us. Most of the people are just average folks. The people in the suites usually have their T.A put pressure on the line for their clients to be invited. These people proved to be the most obnoxious. We had no idea we were chosen until the invitation arrived on each occassion. Didn't even know who the S.H. was until the dinner. Good luck.

I think jingles is right. We have been invited twice and both times it was the SH who did it. She will be at the CC party. Meet her and you might say, casually, "This cruise is fantastic! I love Century." Be enthusiastic, but sincere. I really think those are the people she chooses. But remember that there are 1200-2000 people on board and only 2-3 nights when the Captain's table is occupied. And the Captain is not always there---senior officers instead. BTW the first time we were there it was awful. The second time it was wonderful! Depends on the other people. Good luck!

After 22 cruises with Celebrity we finally had a ship's officer at our table next to the captain's table. The captain used his table only on late seating with the suite guests. Yes, many of these people were rude, and obnoxious the entire cruise.

We have been on 4 Celebrity cruises and invited twice. Once we were in a suite, once we were not. The first time was also our first cruise. Both times it was the SH I think. She will be at check in at the pier the first day meeting people so make sure you meet her. We have never asked but that might work too.

Isn't it a shame that some, and I do say SOME, people who can afford to travel in the most expensive accomodations are the most obnoxious. No flaming here, just an observation. I followed a woman who came out of a suite, dripping with jewels on formal night, to the elevator. She was so rude and ugly to a youngster who very nicely held the elevator so another person could get on. She kept it up the whole way down to the DR. Yuk! Someday I will book a suite---haven't yet. Actually next cruise will be my first veranda. (They say I will be spoiled.) Good, I like to be spoiled.

We have been on 32 cruises, & never have been invited. We always have had early dinning, never a suite, some times a balcony. Some times I think it would be nice to be invited, then I think No, with what I have heard about some of the people who are invited, I would rather enjoy our regular table mates. 99% of our table mates have been great and usually exchange email addrsses to keep in touch.

We were on a RC cruise about 7 years ago with our adult children. We were celebrating a college graduation and two soon to be graduated I was coming back from a port and met this woman that was so excited about her new diamond ring. I admired it and showed off my diamond ring. We chatted about jewelry and where the best prices were at. When we went to our room to change for our late seating dinner, we saw an envelope and discovered that we were invited to the captains table the next evening. It was at that dinner that I discovered that I had been chatting with the cruise hostess. We had a wonderful time, but I have to admit I missed my children that evening.

I agree the Social Hostess usually makes the decisions. We were on our 5th cruise and she approached us before a show one night to chit chat. The next day we had an invitation in our room. It was a great perk but boy did we get razzed the next night at our regular table (all in fun). But truthfully don't be too upset if you never get asked, it is a nice perk but didn't make or break our trip. Just something to brag about when you get back. By the way we always book on the lowest level so suites don't make a difference. Mandy

We were on Mercury for an 8 day cruise in March of this year. We had a Royal Suite, and received an invitation to have dinner at the captain's table. We did not have any interaction with the Social Hostess until we arrived in the lounge to have a cocktail with the other invitees. None of these people were rude or obnoxious, and in fact were very nice and polite. The dinner was hosted by the hotel director and not the captain. He was absolutely a dud!

We were on Century for a 7 day cruise in May of this year. Again, we had a Royal Suite, and again received an invitation to have dinner at the captain's table. And again, no interaction with the social hostess until we arrived at the lounge outside the dinning room. I forgot to mention that these dinners are at the second seating. And our host was the captain - and the group of people invited were really great - no rudeness here. The captain was in his early 40's and was very charming - we made friends of several couples at this dinner which added to the pleasure of having an opportunity to visit with the captain. We were also provided with a wonderful picture in a brochure identifying each person at the dinner.

My guess based on our experience is that if you are booked in a Royal Suite on a C class ship, that you will get an invitation. There are only 8 on Century, and 10 on Mercury.

:) Hi...the first time I sailed Celebrity was May 2003....I had an inside cabin, category 10........so accomodations must not matter (or they didn't at that point). I was on the cruise solo, so it must not be if you are a couple either.

I did meet the Social Hostess..her name was Zarah and I was invited for the 2nd formal night....late seating.

The Hotel Manager was the Officer at the table and they seated me to his right.

I remember all of the people being very nice and we had a great evening! I was honared to have been invited and I will always remember that dinner!

We,ve only sailed in a suite once in 30 cruises. We usually book aft cabins or FV. I don't know what being in a suite has to do with being rude and obnoxious. People are individuals of all kinds whether rich or poor.

I'm not trying to be mean or funny here but I would like to know what happens at the Captain's table that makes people want to dine with him. We recently returned from a cruise and our tablemates were so much fun I would have hated to miss having dinner with them.

This is a very sincere question. What is so special about diing with the Captain?

We've dined with the Captain a couple of times. I hate to leave the regulars as well. It's nice to meet the officers and the service is usually especially nice. They serve wine with your dinner..pre dinner coctails and usually a red rose for the ladies. I'm not much of a drinker but the company is usually very nice. If I can't stand to miss my tablemates I just explain and politely decline.

I once had a very poor experience on a cruise. I was seated at the Hotel manager's table for a 7 day cruise and hated it. There were five of us at the table. The manager, myself and my former wife, and one other couple, who were extremely wealthy. The couple were very nice, but the officer spent all his time playing up to the husband (owner of a very large hotel chain). From that point on I have never accepted another invitation to dine with any ship's officer. But that is my experience and everyone's experience is different.

I'm not trying to be mean or funny here but I would like to know what happens at the Captain's table that makes people want to dine with him. We recently returned from a cruise and our tablemates were so much fun I would have hated to miss having dinner with them.

This is a very sincere question. What is so special about diing with the Captain?

We were also invited to dine at the captains table, had an aft 1A room at the time. I have to say I really did not enjoy myself and probably would decline any invitation I may receive in the future. It was uncomfortable trying to make conversation, the table was large so it was hard to inner act with everyone at the table, I was seated right next to the hotel manager across from me his assistant, I just did not enjoy myself.

We're booked for our 22nd and 23rd cruises and have never been invited to dine with the Captain or his proxy.

On the other hand, on our 2nd cruise we were assigned a horrible table with people who highly disapproved of the fact that we ordered and drank wine with our dinner.

We spoke to the Maitre'd and with great difficulty had our table changed.

To our amazement and joy we dined the ENTIRE WEEK with the Captain/Commodore of the Fleet. Just a total of three couples and the Captain who was a delight and a pleasure to dine with. Following the Captain's example, we each took turns buying wine for the table every night.

Btw, this was the Sun Princess in 1996 and since then have not noticed a Captain dining every night with the passengers.

Joe O

It's a production number, a passenger ship tradition & rather flattering, I suppose. Our captain's table-mates were all very nice except one unfortunate, rather inebriated lady who monopolized all the conversation to the best of her abilities :rolleyes:

The Social Hostess assembled us in a lounge with free drinkies, we went in to dinner all together, the wine flowed freely at dinner, and we had reserved seats at the show that night, as well as a complimentary photo of the dinner party. Hokey though it may seem to some, it was rather nice, though we had simply superb regular tablemates on that cruise - arguably the best of a mostly pretty stellar lot.

The basis remains mysterious to me - when we sailed in a Royal Suite for our 10th. Anniversary on a 14 nighter (our 6th. Celebrity cruise), we weren't invited, two cruises later in South America, we were on an inside cabin and were. We usually go to the CC & CC select/elite dos, so we do meet the SH, but we've never had our TA push for it, nor would we ourselves - that's just sad ;)

We have stayed in several suites & only once have been invited to the Captain's Table (we must've dined with the same captain that Cechase did, a very young & personable captain on the Mercury). We had a great time & it was flattering to be invited....at least we thought so....although if we were never invited again it would be ok with us. And, btw "suite people" can be wonderful people as well as people staying in other categories. On the other hand too, we've met & dined with obnoxious people staying in either suites or other categories. Fortunately most of our tables have been made up of wonderful people....no matter what cabins they were booked in.

Carol

Our last cruise was for two weeks. We were in eye shot of the captain's table. The Capt. only had dinner at his table one or two times (rest of time the table sat empty), thus greatly reducing the odds of an invitation. Is this the norm? I got the impression that maybe the old salt didn't enjoy the hotel side of the ship.

Archived