What to pack? First time cruiser

chulorommell

We (my hubby and I) are traveling to Western Caribbean Nov 25 -Dec 2 2012 on RCL Mariner of the Seas. I have been making a list of things to pack so I won't forget anything but I'm sure there is something important that I am forgetting as this is our first cruise. Any suggestions on what things we DEFINITELY need to bring with us?

Virtually everyone is different when it comes to "what to pack". The fact that I can "buy it there" if I forget it really doesn't work for me and gives me no peace of mind whatsoever. That being said, I don't overpack, but I do take some unconventional things on cruises that I wouldn't necessarily take with me on other trips. You'll have to decide what is important to you personally, but below is the list of extra stuff that I bring:

Duct Tape- to tape the curtain shut if the sunlight is too bright and I've also used it to block the air coming out of the vent on the ceiling if its too damn cold!

Clothespins- used to weigh down the shower curtain so that it doesn't stick to me in the shower. Also to attach bathing suits to hangers to dry.

A power strip- On both ships I've been on, there is one outlet. This is not sufficient. AT ALL.

A plug in nightlight- In my defense, I always carry one of these when traveling, because I get up during the night and don't want to stub my toes!

Alarm Clock- battery operated if possible. I don't want to turn my cell phone on and that's what I usually use at home for an alarm clock.

A Beach Bag (or backpack) and small purse- For when I'm in port. How else are you going to carry around a towel, sunscreen and money? A LOT of people don't give any thought to stuff like this. I tried to bring my little carry-on pullman with me once off the ship and they flipped out in the Bahamas. Said that it was too big. (and it was tiny, but it was a suitcase and apparently that wasn't ok!)

Hand sanitizer/wipes- I throw these in my bag in port...for obvious reasons.

Walkie Talkies- Since we're all so used to texting and calling each other and it expensive to do that on the ship, so walkie talkies it is!

Happy Packing!!!

Just returned last month from the Oasis. It was my 2nd cruise but the 1st was in 2004, so it felt like my first. My definites (other than ID, money, credit card, medications) would include: more than 1 swimsuit (often don't dry overnight), watch (to make sure you're always on ship's time), camera (with extra memory cards/batteries), sunscreen, sunglasses. I never used: Kindle, book, highlighter, clothespins (our shower had a door), hand sanitizer (it's all over the ship), binoculars, etc. etc. The most important thing to take with you is a positive attitude! Have a great cruise! :)

My son in the armed forces, who winds up being deployed on 24 hours notice due to his occupation, gave us this advice. Pack what you think you need - then leave half of that at home. For a week to ten days in sunny climates my wife and I just use carry-on luggage. There is some excellent advice in the other posts. Roll yourself some duct tape - in addition to what is mentioned above I have used it to close up a cut when I didn't have butterfly bandages, also repairs luggage, and my wife once used it to hold things up under a strapless dress (big ouch getting it off!). We carry pdf files of photocopies of every important document we could use (passport, credit cards, etc.) on a password protected USB key. We leave all electronics at home except for a digital camera. While this works for us it may not for all people who still want to connect back to home.

Travel light - leave room for the souvenirs - have fun!

I think the best advise I found here on Cruise Critic - bring a highlighter. Every night you will get a schedule for the next day, it's very convenient to highlight the lines with the activities you want to attend. Or at what time you have to be back on the ship :)

just returned from our first cruise (allure of the seas). like it has been said, everyone is different about what they want with them...read everyone's lists and pick and choose what's right for you.

we took several sizes of zip lock bags, as had been suggested...after breaking my finger on the second to last night (thus the lack of punctuation...hand is splinted), my husband wondered how i would keep my hand dry in the shower. the big zip lock bag was great for the shower and the smaller sizes made great ice packs for swelling.

ill probably pack them again in the future, however some of the other items we took...not so much!

I found a little purse called a wristlet to use on the ship. Held my ship card, a tiny pen and pad of paper, tissues, mints and lipstick. Also got a bag from Magellan that converts via zipper from shoulder bag to a backpack for shore trips. Very handy in the airport too. Held a ton of stuff. We do only one bag each carry on so we pack very carefully. I brought 4 slacks, 1 long black jersey dress, 10 tops or so. Sandals, walking shoes and dress shoes (which I could have left home). Went to Paris for 4 weeks this way. My two rules: 1. Everything must have multiple uses. 2. I'm never going to see these people again, so I don't care what they think I look like. You won't wear that many different things on board. If you think you "might" wear it, leave it home. Get the small purse! It was so handy.

I will not leave home without moleskin: Have only had to use it twice but what a Godsend: ( Blisters are no fun): i also take advantage of the travel size toothpaste, body powder, shampoo and conditioners: ( Extra toothbrush): I do not like the shower gel and shampoo: I always take my own bar soap:These items can be disposed of in am of debark...

Oh almost forgot: I love to decorate my door: We usually sail in early Dec. I always bring a copy of Maine State bird which is a Chick-a-dee setting in our pine tassle ( Maine State Flower): I sometimes include a red bow: Decorative and an easy way to spot your door as you come down the hallway:

The small purse for evenings on the ship

No New Shoes! Beta test all shoes before packing

So so true! And not to go into detail here but test all underwear as well. Sounds silly, but I would rather throw something away that doesn't fit anymore or somehow would show through with what clothes I take than to be stuck somewhere with no Victoria's Secret or Kohl's ;) LOL

~~Jules~~

So so true! And not to go into detail here but test all underwear as well. Sounds silly, but I would rather throw something away that doesn't fit anymore or somehow would show through with what clothes I take than to be stuck somewhere with no Victoria's Secret or Kohl's ;) LOL

~~Jules~~

AMEN JULES!!!!.

Also, in spite of the heat in Miami, the temperature at gate J in Miami International.....65 degrees. Our flight was a three hour wait. Suffering from exhaustion, PCD ( Post Cruise Depression), and couldn't go outside to thaw out ..... I was miserable... Frozen. Dress in layers on the flight, less to pack, more to mix and match on your trip.AND you're ready for cold airports and stuffy planes...

Stuff socks and undergarments in shoes. Similar color pallet that can be mix up. My colors this cruise have turned out to be Muted lime/ peridot green . Or plum. Or a bit of both. I like having choices everyday. If I think of anything else I'll post it later . I got to go to sleep :sly:

Take a fridge magnet!!! The walls are metal so its brill for sticking up daily schedules, ship plans etc. I also buy one in each port of call and add to wall great fun!! Little things please............................:-)

Archived