Cruising to Bermuda in October question

pathubia

Are the seas really rough all the time, or does it depend on the weather? I have cruised to Bermuda in May (little rough) and August (better than May), but I spoke with someone over the weekend that told me that it was so rough on his sailing, they got off the ship in Bermuda and flew home :eek:

We sailed to Bermuda (from Boston) in October years ago. The seas were extremely rough, but that's because a hurricane had just come through. The Mid-Atlantic is really un-predictable. Many times we've sailed through seas as smooth as glass... other times very rough with 16+ foot waves.... So, it really depends on the weather.

We sailed to Bermuda (from Boston) in October years ago. The seas were extremely rough, but that's because a hurricane had just come through. The Mid-Atlantic is really un-predictable. Many times we've sailed through seas as smooth as glass... other times very rough with 16+ foot waves.... So, it really depends on the weather.

agree its the luck of the draw, our Oct 2005 cruise was bumpy but the Oct 2009 and Oct 2011 were both pretty smooth sailing. August is Hurricane Season too, and the ships are full of families with children then, I prefer later in the season, we are going on Oct 31 - - last sail of the season to Bermuda out of Boston, like the less children and little bit cooler temps in Bermuda.

Edited by scm200

Yikes, 16 foot waves???? Hoping for better weather!!

The good news is that less hurricane's and tropical storms than normal are predicted for this year due to there being an El nino this year. We are also cruising to Bermuda this Oct, and I must say I was concerned, but not as much now. Yes, there can still be a storm when we go, but I'm not going to let that ruin my excitement for the trip. :D

Yikes, 16 foot waves???? Hoping for better weather!!

Yikes is right! It was very difficult just walking down the hallway. Good news is that neither DH nor I get seasick so it didn't bother us that much. And, the better news is: it only lasted about 24 hours or so. Definitely didn't ruin the whole trip for us... but for some-- they flew home as soon as we hit the port. Going back it was as smooth as glass....

agree its the luck of the draw, our Oct 2005 cruise was bumpy but the Oct 2009 and Oct 2011 were both pretty smooth sailing. August is Hurricane Season too, and the ships are full of families with children then, I prefer later in the season, we are going on Oct 31 - - last sail of the season to Bermuda out of Boston, like the less children and little bit cooler temps in Bermuda.

We took this cruise 5 times in August due to my daughter still being in school. When we went this past May, there were 80 kids on the ship, you never would have known there were that many! Probably on crossed paths with 20 of them.

We looked at Oct 31, but the dates didnt work for us.

We have been very fortunate weatherwise in our cruising weeks!!

Our trip last year the only problem was the last day the water was really choppy and we were swaying back and forth, walking a straight line was hard but not too bad. It really just depends on the weather. Hopefully October will not be bad this year :)

The good news is that less hurricane's and tropical storms than normal are predicted for this year due to there being an El nino this year. We are also cruising to Bermuda this Oct, and I must say I was concerned, but not as much now. Yes, there can still be a storm when we go, but I'm not going to let that ruin my excitement for the trip. :D

Here is to a beautiful and calm October!!!

Yikes is right! It was very difficult just walking down the hallway. Good news is that neither DH nor I get seasick so it didn't bother us that much. And, the better news is: it only lasted about 24 hours or so. Definitely didn't ruin the whole trip for us... but for some-- they flew home as soon as we hit the port. Going back it was as smooth as glass....

I was on a cruise to nowhere out of boston in 2007 in December (what was I thinking) and it was so hard to walk!! I wasnt sure if it was my boots, the drinks or the waves, I chose to blame the waves, LOL!!

Our trip last year the only problem was the last day the water was really choppy and we were swaying back and forth, walking a straight line was hard but not too bad. It really just depends on the weather. Hopefully October will not be bad this year :)

I believe in the power of positive thinking!! The weather will be wonderful, resulting in smooth sailing!!

I was on a cruise to nowhere out of boston in 2007 in December (what was I thinking) and it was so hard to walk!! I wasnt sure if it was my boots, the drinks or the waves, I chose to blame the waves, LOL!!

Was that on the Gem in the rain and snow?? We were there!! :eek:

Was that on the Gem in the rain and snow?? We were there!! :eek:

Yes it was!! People were sick everywhere!! We were in some bar....It had beds in it (which was pretty wild to begin with) and next to the bowling alley, and the bartender had to wrap all the drink glasses...They were flying off the bar!!

What a wild weekend!! :eek: