GTY: A Cautionary Tale

writer100

My wife and I just returned from Seabourn's 9/11 Boston-Montreal cruise. This was our 6th SB venture, and the first time we opted for a GTY--that is, the guaranty of at least a V1 suite with the possibility of an upgrade. And indeed, Poseidon apparently smiled, as we were presented with a V6 suite. But wait! The cabin number was 737, and consulting a deck plan showed it to be in the dreaded position immediately beneath the patio bar and surrounding tables. We checked weather forecasts for the week along our cruise route and found that the weather would be quite cool--highs in the mid-50's-- and rain was forecast on several days. We concluded that the weather would not invite passengers to use this space, and in any case we tend to retire late, the patio bar closed at 9:00pm, and so how much passenger traffic could there be. We were correct in all our assumptions. But we failed to consider crew activities. On the first morning at sea, we were awakened by screeches and thuds from above. Hauling on my pants and a sweater., I sped topside to find the crew hosing down the patio area and, necessarily, moving the furniture. Time: 4:30am. Later that day i corralled the hotel manager who promised to take it up at that morning's meeting. Alas, the same noises occurred the next morning--this time at 5:30am. A call to and response from the Guest Services Manager yielded no better results. Throughout the cruise, both the hotel manager and guest services manager were solicitous, but ineffective in correcting the noise issues. The guests in 739 had the same problems, and wrote angry emails to all concerned, so this is not the case of light-sleeping neurotic sailor having a disproportionate reaction. (I am not a light sleeper, at least.) I do understand that every crew functions with discipline and has a regimen. But the comic quality of this experience is thusly illustrated. On a rainy, windy predawn, the same noises began. I scrambled up to deck 8 to find the crew squeegeeing the deck. Surely inasmuch as hosing was not needed, couldn't the function have been postponed?

"And other than that Mrs. Lincoln..."

Well, yes, actually. The food on board was as good as remembered, the wines better than before, and the crew--charming and personable-- almost redeemed the experience.

I should add that I got in touch with SB after the cruise, and they offered a fulsome apology. And a modest, but welcome, shipboard credit against a future cruise.

Seabourn obviously can't label certain deck 7 cabins as "noise impaired"--the aural equivalent of "obstructed view." And the company certainly was immediately responsive to my communication.

So pehaps thois experience should merely serve as yet another example of GTY roulette and what can happen when the wheel stops at 737.

Finally, and poignantly, three passengers were taken from the ship to waiting ambulances, which italicizes the need for appropriate insurance.

Thank you for confirming what I have said on these boards before.

A veranda suite guarantee will more often than not upgrade you to a deck seven V6 suite as these are the worst selling suites on the ship and if you are really unlucky the position will be under the Patio grill and pool area.

You will always get early morning noise from crew cleaning and you can get late evening noise from guests walking on the pool deck.

Always have a suite above you and a suite below you.

You have been warned many times before.

Of course none of this will affect the food,wine or service of the excellent staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As is on all ships, being under the pool/outside deck will always be noisy! I learned that on Royal Princess many years ago and since then have always booked a suite with cabins above me. One time on the Regent Voyager, an upgrade was given to the aft deck with the outside veranda above us - only to fine olive pits, napkins etc on our balcony along with the early morning ritual cleaning of the deck. One other hint I learned on a Seabourn cruise is to never book an adjoining room - unless you purposely want that group there. Boy was it noisy when we were on the Sojourn.

Were you on Odessey?

No, on Quest. Mr. Luxury is, of course, quite right and we did, in fact, recall his caveats. But--however innocently-- we thought that the low temperatures would reduce pax usage--which it did. The crew cleaning took us by surprise, with the consequences outlined above.

To SB's credit, while we were on board there may have been little or nothing that could be done, but they certainly gave us the impression that they listened to our complaints and tried to resolve the inherent problems.Little more than hand holding perhaps, but somewhat soothing none the less.

A different and perhaps academic issue is whether these suites on deck 7 should be offered at a reduced price from the outset, with a warning such as, "may be subject to passenger and crew generated noise from above."

No, on Quest. Mr. Luxury is, of course, quite right and we did, in fact, recall his caveats. But--however innocently-- we thought that the low temperatures would reduce pax usage--which it did. The crew cleaning took us by surprise, with the consequences outlined above.

To SB's credit, while we were on board there may have been little or nothing that could be done, but they certainly gave us the impression that they listened to our complaints and tried to resolve the inherent problems.Little more than hand holding perhaps, but somewhat soothing none the less.

A different and perhaps academic issue is whether these suites on deck 7 should be offered at a reduced price from the outset, with a warning such as, "may be subject to passenger and crew generated noise from above."

That's a good point writer,a bit like obstructed view seats in a theatre.

The big problem is that a V6 category is more money than any other V1-5 suite and as we all know they are generally the same size and layout,I can see why they do not sell.

The best V suites are on deck six around the 640 mark and the best value are on deck five which are a V2

If Seaboun knows this is a constant problem why can they not move up the cleaning time to at least 6:30am.This still gives the crew plenty of time to do what is necessary.Early for vacationers but at least a compromise.

I think the problem is that there are not enough hours in a day on a ship where cleaning and maintenance are concerned.

Experienced cruisers generally stay way from the problem areas on a ship,leaving them to those that are not so experienced.

It's a learning curve,a bit like life itself.

I think the problem is that there are not enough hours in a day on a ship where cleaning and maintenance are concerned.

Experienced cruisers generally stay way from the problem areas on a ship,leaving them to those that are not so experienced.

It's a learning curve,a bit like life itself.

Quite so. On our five previous SB cruises we have always been in 535 or 531 and, of course, had no noise issues whatsoever.

Writer100, sorry you had that disappointment, I like you had read about the noise from people movement, hadn't even thought about the crew. Being an early riser I was on deck early on the Odyssey and remember the cleaning going on not even thinking of the noise for cabins below.

Digressing, did you enjoy the ports?

Does anyone know if there are similar noise issues with respect to Suite 912 on Odyssey which appears to be beneath some sort of open space, possibly a foyer, just aft of the Observation Bar on Deck 10?

I think you will be ok,the observation bar is above but slightly forward of the suite,it will not be anywhere near as bad as deck seven is.

The space is for toilets

It's a little high up for me and will feel a movement in rougher seas.

Edited by Mr Luxury

I think you will be ok,the observation bar is above but slightly forward of the suite,it will not be anywhere near as bad as deck seven is.

The space is for toilets

It's a little high up for me and will feel a movement in rougher seas.

Thank you. I read an actual review of THAT suite right here on this site which remarked of it being quiet, but they did not note their sleep patterns. Back in the day, I'd have thought all rooms were quiet, being one of the last to bed and first out the door! :o

The 6am opening time of that lounge had me concerned with the specter of 4:00 custodial maintenance! ;)

Does anyone know if there are similar noise issues with respect to Suite 912 on Odyssey which appears to be beneath some sort of open space, possibly a foyer, just aft of the Observation Bar on Deck 10?

We have been in 912. No problems to report re: noise and very convenient to zip up to the Observation Lounge either for tapas pre-dinner or for a nightcap post dinner.

We were just assigned a V4 category on deck 8. SB contacted our TA to offer an "upgrade" to V6 for $99 per person. He knew better and refused!

I was on writers cruise. We had a GTY, assigned to a V2. When we were offered the $99 upgrade, we asked the cabin number, were told 812. Saw on the plan that there were suites above and below so we accepted the upgrade. Had they offered 737, we would have turned it down.

I must say, it was the quietest room we have ever had. Never heard a peep.

We have been in 912. No problems to report re: noise and very convenient to zip up to the Observation Lounge either for tapas pre-dinner or for a nightcap post dinner.

YES, both of these are happening!!! :)