Platinum latitudes behind the scenes tour

Hi Kat,

Been on the Epic and Pearl. They included different things. The Epic included the theatre, a galley, and the bridge viewing room. The Pearl included a bit of the I-95 corridor, the laundry, the theatre and the bridge viewing room.

We thought both were interesting and we learned about the workings of the ship. Also both tours had a person from the theatre who talked about the entertainment (current, future and past) in ways that were a bit unexpected.

Also, in both cases our invitations said what would be included in the tour. Those should be in your Platinum packet that you will find in your cabin after you board.

Have a great cruise. I am really jealous you get to go again so soon!!!!!

Edited by drvalo

Anyone recently sail and take the platinum latitudes behind the scenes tour? What did it include?

Thanks!

We were on the Spirit a couple weeks ago and it looks like you are going on there soon. We were on the Western and they had it a couple times. We went on Thursday at 10:00 a.m. and met in the lobby.

We went to the bridge viewing room, then to the environmental area, then the laundry (saw our laundry), then the galley.

The tour no longer includes the Bridge Viewing room ( for those ships that have them) or The Bridge.

It must vary from ship to ship. We were on the Pearl a couple of weeks ago and it did include the bridge viewing room. However, our Roll Call organizer was unable to get a tour of the bridge itself for our roll call members for security reasons. So, the bridge itself must no longer be a part of the tour.

On the Jade a few weeks ago and we went to the galley, laundry, and the bridge viewing room. Prior to that, on the Jewel we went to the galley, I95 (main corridor where supplies move on the ship), laundry room, theater, and bridge viewing room. To some extent what you see seems to be dependent on who is giving the tour and what's available that day (if there's a rehearsal in the theater, you probably won't go in).

Does anyone know if they are having these on the Escape? I'm sailing on her in two weeks.:D

Yes they are doing them on the Escape. We did the tour on the 12/5 cruise. It stated that you had to sign up by noon on Sunday but it was limited availability. We asked the concierge to sign us up and stopped by the CruiseNext counter on Sunday morning just to confirm and they told us there was no more availability. Luckily the concierge did email them and we were on the list. I would suggest signing up early. We had the 10:30 tour on Monday morning and I know they had at least one additional tour.

They did have a security person on the tour. They brought up the rear of the group to make sure we didn't separate or wonder into unapproved areas. It was our first time on the tour and we found it very interesting. Enjoy the Escape, we loved the ship.

Hi Kat,

Been on the Epic and Pearl. They included different things. The Epic included the theatre, a galley, and the bridge viewing room. The Pearl included a bit of the I-95 corridor, the laundry, the theatre and the bridge viewing room.

We thought both were interesting and we learned about the workings of the ship. Also both tours had a person from the theatre who talked about the entertainment (current, future and past) in ways that were a bit unexpected.

Also, in both cases our invitations said what would be included in the tour. Those should be in your Platinum packet that you will find in your cabin after you board.

Have a great cruise. I am really jealous you get to go again so soon!!!!!

Hi, Val! How are you guys??

The tour no longer includes the Bridge Viewing room ( for those ships that have them) or The Bridge.

Sort of. Bridge viewing rooms will still be included on ships that have one, but tours will no longer be able to visit the actual bridge area while the ship is at sea. This also goes for the paid tour as well as the platinum tour.

You can thank the new Safety Management System (SMS) that has been handed down to NCL by the new Prestige management.

HI all!

I just returned from the Dec 19 Epic cruise, my 1st as platinum & didn't get to do the sole tour they did so don't know what it included.:(. The letter about it reached my cabin in the evening & I didn't get it until after the show. Unfortunately the deadline for responding was 9:00 pm embarkation day with the tour the next morning.

I called the Hotel Director, went to the FCC credit desk & shore excursion desk but there was nothing they could do. Just to warn anybody who has just turned platinum.

~ Jo ~ :)

Sort of. Bridge viewing rooms will still be included on ships that have one, but tours will no longer be able to visit the actual bridge area while the ship is at sea. This also goes for the paid tour as well as the platinum tour.

You can thank the new Safety Management System (SMS) that has been handed down to NCL by the new Prestige management.

Some Captains allow tour of the bridge. Whether or not bridge is included is up to the captain.

Some Captains allow tour of the bridge. Whether or not bridge is included is up to the captain.

No, it's actually not NCL corporate stopped them after the terrorist attacks in Paris, according to the current HD on board the Dawn. He said he had a feeling it was going to be coming at some point, and was surprised it took that long.

No, it's actually not NCL corporate stopped them after the terrorist attacks in Paris, according to the current HD on board the Dawn. He said he had a feeling it was going to be coming at some point, and was surprised it took that long.

No, Paris is just convenient subterfuge. The new directive was handed down by corporate PRIOR to Paris, so any suggestion that this was the "cause" is absurd. However, Paris has created some discussion at NCL about possible future security measures, which explains why some senior officers throughout the fleet might reference the issue with regards to denying bridge requests.

The new procedures dictated by NCLH corporate specifically state that it is no longer within the captain's discretion to invite passengers to the bridge while the ship is at sea. I suppose a captain can still purposefully violate these new procedures, but they do so at the risk of their job.

Do you know if there is a bridge viewing room on the Escape? Thanks!

The new procedures dictated by NCLH corporate specifically state that it is no longer within the captain's discretion to invite passengers to the bridge while the ship is at sea. ....

That is too bad. My DH has an Ocean Operator license and has really enjoyed the Q&A during the few bridge tours he's had.

Watching through the bridge viewing window that Jewel and Jade have just isn't the same as being able to interact with a crew member on the bridge.

Edited by NMLady

The same thing happened after 9-11....no more visits to the bridge. But several years later, little by little, exceptions were made... at first for "VIP".s, and then they liberalized access to the point where they saw how much they could make with these tours.

That said...I wouldn't exactly call a visit to a Bridge Viewing Room, "behind the scene's", as anyone can go there anytime on their own....shades block the view into the bridge at night, to preserve crew night vision, but the duplicate ship's electronic navigation displays are still interesting to watch...:cool:

Too bad the Breakaway Class does not offer them...:(

The same thing happened after 9-11....no more visits to the bridge. But several years later, little by little, exceptions were made... at first for "VIP".s, and then they liberalized access to the point where they saw how much they could make with these tours.

I can't stress this enough, it had NOTHING to do with Paris. The dates alone should shoot that theory down at the start.

Do you know if there is a bridge viewing room on the Escape? Thanks!

Unfortunately, no, there is no bridge viewing room on the Escape. Sorry about that.

Edited by barnacle_boy

The one time we had the platinum behind the scenes tour staying in the bridge viewing room and not the actual bridge a navigational officer visited us. So still a bit more behind the scenes than just visiting the viewing room at any other time of the day.

Just got off the Sun from its South America Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise. Like others are saying the free Platinum tour did not include the bridge. Strangely though, when the Freestyle Daily pushed for the paid tours, it specifically mentioned going to the bridge. We asked the Cruise Next rep about it but he simply said "we never go to the bridge" so I'm not sure why the Freestyle Daily mentioned the bridge tour on more than one day.

Just got off the Sun from its South America Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise. Like others are saying the free Platinum tour did not include the bridge. Strangely though, when the Freestyle Daily pushed for the paid tours, it specifically mentioned going to the bridge. We asked the Cruise Next rep about it but he simply said "we never go to the bridge" so I'm not sure why the Freestyle Daily mentioned the bridge tour on more than one day.

That's a very good question...if I paid for the tour, with the expectation of visiting the actual bridge, I would be more than just disappointed if it did not go there....I would want a portion of the charge removed.

If I was offered the Platinum free tour, and was told up front that it wasn't going to the bridge, I would probably just decline.

That's a very good question...if I paid for the tour, with the expectation of visiting the actual bridge, I would be more than just disappointed if it did not go there....I would want a portion of the charge removed.

If I was offered the Platinum free tour, and was told up front that it wasn't going to the bridge, I would probably just decline.

Some ships are offering a 15% refund to those who booked the paid tour while it was still advertised as including the bridge.